Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

Just now, racketmaster said:

Peterman had 1 really bad half of football as a rookie and so many wrote him off. He impressed in preseason last year and was competent in the snow game. All reports have indicated that he has improved from his rookie year, which makes sense. 

Peterman has a better arm than Mccaron and is a better athlete. He offers some playmaking ability when things break down where Mccaron offers next to nothing. 

This is is going to be Josh Allen’s team but until he takes command I would much rather roll with Peterman than Mccaron. The qb in this offense is not going to be permitted to just be a distributor of the football. The line and limited amount of playmakers will cause the qb to have to play off script and Peterman is the better option until Allen is ready. 

No he did not.  He was okay in preseason with his flaws very apparent.  We'll only know how improved he is in real competition against pass rushers and NFL caliber DBs. 

25 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Well, if I had to guess they mean: 

Exactly my point.   

We wouldn’t want a repeat of last year where people start to call others Mrs Peterman or Mrs Allen.   Though Mrs McCarron would be nice. ?

(See last poster)

TT was also bad in last years preseason.   He posted qb ratings in the 40s and when I mentioned that  the name calling began. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

7 hours ago, billspro said:

I think Allen will be the starter week one. It will be hard to keep him off the field when he plays great in training camp.

I think he will get some reps in training camp, but they will show he needs to work on his touch and he needs to better understand what throws he CAN’T make against top NFL defenders, or he will get picked a lot.  He is a smart guy and he will hopefully “get it”

I think while the game is relaxed, in OTAs, Peterman looks pretty good but when the pads go on and the intensity ratchets up in training camp, his limitations will become more apparent.  AJ will spend the next 6 weeks studying the playbook like nuts and we shall see what we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No he did not.  He was okay in preseason with his flaws very apparent.  We'll only know how improved he is in real competition against pass rushers and NFL caliber DBs. 

Impressive for a 5th round pick. He outplayed Taylor in the preseason and many fans were clamoring for him to start (I was not one of them). But he did look to have some potential as a backup or low end starter. 

If he was was able to make some offseason adjustments to develop his arm strength, he could be a compentant starter until Allen is ready. 

We we need to remember that Peterman was a rookie and the awful half he had should not be held against him for the rest of his career. Many rookie qbs have struggled. Look at Jared Goff. He was terrible as a rookie, with a much larger sample size. Yet, he made significant improvement as a sophomore qb. It is likely that Peterman has also improved, the question is by how much. Early reports seem to indicate that he has taken a big step. 

8 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Impressive for a 5th round pick. He outplayed Taylor in the preseason and many fans were clamoring for him to start (I was not one of them). But he did look to have some potential as a backup or low end starter. 

If he was was able to make some offseason adjustments to develop his arm strength, he could be a compentant starter until Allen is ready. 

We we need to remember that Peterman was a rookie and the awful half he had should not be held against him for the rest of his career. Many rookie qbs have struggled. Look at Jared Goff. He was terrible as a rookie, with a much larger sample size. Yet, he made significant improvement as a sophomore qb. It is likely that Peterman has also improved, the question is by how much. Early reports seem to indicate that he has taken a big step. 

Peterman wasn't impressive at all to me in the preseason of 2017 and these comparisons to QBs like Goff who was the 1st overall pick in the entire draft don't even make sense. 

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Peterman wasn't impressive at all to me in the preseason of 2017 and these comparisons to QBs like Goff who was the 1st overall pick in the entire draft don't even make sense. 

We will agree to disagree about Peterman’s preseason. Certainly the coaching staff believed enough in his preseason play and practice performances to bench Tyrod in the middle of a playoff race. 

Goff is an easy and current example of improved play from a rookie year, but most qbs gets better after a year of NFL experience. From Peyton Manning to Jared Goff. Carson Wentz is another current example of a qb who took an extra step in his second year. It is definitely the norm for there to be improvement but how much varies. 

The media (guys like Buscaglia and Fairborn) have seen Peterman in practice and believe he looks better and has been outperforming Mccaron by a wide margin. That’s all we have to go on at this point but it seems promising. 

Again, I’m not under any illusion that Peterman is our long term answer but he very well could be competent while we are waiting on Allen. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nor me. He was a 50% passer playing entirely against backups and 3rd stringers. 

9 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

We will agree to disagree about Peterman’s preseason. Certainly the coaching staff believed enough in his preseason play and practice performances to bench Tyrod in the middle of a playoff race. 

Goff is an easy and current example of improved play from a rookie year, but most qbs gets better after a year of NFL experience. From Peyton Manning to Jared Goff. Carson Wentz is another current example of a qb who took an extra step in his second year. It is definitely the norm for there to be improvement but how much varies. 

The media (guys like Buscaglia and Fairborn) have seen Peterman in practice and believe he looks better and has been outperforming Mccaron by a wide margin. That’s all we have to go on at this point but it seems promising. 

Again, I’m not under any illusion that Peterman is our long term answer but he very well could be competent while we are waiting on Allen. 

Their belief turned out to be a massive miscalculation as the same flaws that were evident in preseason were borne out in his horrid play in that game. 

Goff and Manning were 1st picks in their respective draft years with Wentz 2nd overall. Any comparison of Peterman to them as some kind of hope for his future simply does not add up. 

His so called improvement in shorts doesn't mean a whole lot in evaluating QBs for NFL starting duties. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His so called improvement in shorts doesn't mean a whole lot in evaluating QBs for NFL starting duties. 

If he continues to lead McCarron when we get to camp then I think the possibility that Peterman is in a real competition for the starting job is one we should start considering. Until then for me it is either McCarron or Allen who will take the first snap against Baltimore.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

If he continues to lead McCarron when we get to camp then I think the possibility that Peterman is in a real competition for the starting job is one we should start considering. Until then for me it is either McCarron or Allen who will take the first snap against Baltimore.  

Absolutely.  Easy enough for the previously demonstrated flaws to remain hidden in OTA and minicamp settings.

It's shaping up to be a more interesting QB competition than most realize because...

A) It's obvious that McDermott is a fan of Peterman, so he'll be interested to see how he's improved and I'm sure he'll give him plenty of reps with the 1's and have him start one or two pre-season games.

B) Even though they weren't there at the same time, McCarron has a connection with Daboll and it's been said that McCarron has been able to help teammates understand some of the concepts Daboll will use as some of them are the same/similar to things McCarron did at Alabama.

C) The front office and ownership are likely gonna wanna see what Allen can do sooner rather than later. Even if he doesn't win the starting job coming out of pre-season, whoever starts will need to string together some impressive performances because once they start to falter, the calls for Allen to take over will start. 

In an ideal situation, Allen goes out there and wins the starting job convincingly. 

32 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's shaping up to be a more interesting QB competition than most realize because...

A) It's obvious that McDermott is a fan of Peterman, so he'll be interested to see how he's improved and I'm sure he'll give him plenty of reps with the 1's and have him start one or two pre-season games.

B) Even though they weren't there at the same time, McCarron has a connection with Daboll and it's been said that McCarron has been able to help teammates understand some of the concepts Daboll will use as some of them are the same/similar to things McCarron did at Alabama.

C) The front office and ownership are likely gonna wanna see what Allen can do sooner rather than later. Even if he doesn't win the starting job coming out of pre-season, whoever starts will need to string together some impressive performances because once they start to falter, the calls for Allen to take over will start. 

In an ideal situation, Allen goes out there and wins the starting job convincingly. 

I think McD "likes" Peterman to the extent that any coach likes a competent backup QB on the roster if the starter gets hurt.  Don't kid yourself; the purpose of these OTAs was to determine whether or not the game is "too big" for Allen this early on.  The media were just waiting to report that Allen is "inaccurate" but we didn't see it.  Unless he fails to continue the development forward he has already shown once TC and preseason roll around, the bottom line is that he can do things the other QBs can't that will give the Bills a better opportunity to win football games.

It may sound silly, but I think even now the job is Allen's to lose.

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff?  Peterman completed just 50% of his passes in the preseason, he did NOT outplay anyone.  And not only did he only complete 50% of his passes (Which is Tebow-esque accuracy), he was playing mostly against deep bench guys and players who didn't even make rosters.  

This is how things get constantly sensationalized here.  Peterman makes a couple throws people liked and then they completely ignored anything else and put him on some ridiculous pedestal.  

Not to mention Peterman went on to complete only 49% of his passes in his regular appearances and 33% in his 3 post season passes.  He made 52 career NFL throws in reg/post season appearances, and in those 52 passes he has 6 INTs and 3 Fumbles to go with under 49% completions.  

I wish the kid luck, I like him, and would love to see him surprise.  HOWEVER...the outplaying in preseason is nonsense, and he has yet to do anything on an NFL field that remotely suggests he can be a good starter in the NFL, let alone even a reliable backup.  The odds are stacked against him to even make this roster at this point.  Anything is possible, and wish him nothing but the best...but he has to make SUBSTANTIAL strides this TC and PreSeason to even make the roster.  

• Like (+1) 2

I re-watched that 5 INT game again and slowed it down and I'm no expert, but you could see a huge difference in blocking when Tyrod went in after Peterman. I clearly saw lineman not even try to block what could be the best pass rushing duo in the League. I know this sounds like conspiracy mumbo jumbo, but the tape doesn't lie. I think the coaches knew too after the fact and that is why they feel Peterman hasn't been given a fair shake. I could be way off base too! I personally wanted to see Peterman start against Indy which ended up happening anyways. Unfortunately a blizzard makes it hard to judge passing talent.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Dark Side runs deep with some armchair GM’s and the Peterman strong dislike.  

As l have said it’s camp and that about sums it up.   

It is nice to hear the ever dour beat reporters paying compliments though.  

3 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I re-watched that 5 INT game again and slowed it down and I'm no expert, but you could see a huge difference in blocking when Tyrod went in after Peterman. I clearly saw lineman not even try to block what could be the best pass rushing duo in the League. I know this sounds like conspiracy mumbo jumbo, but the tape doesn't lie. I think the coaches knew too after the fact and that is why they feel Peterman hasn't been given a fair shake. I could be way off base too! I personally wanted to see Peterman start against Indy which ended up happening anyways. Unfortunately a blizzard makes it hard to judge passing talent.

Bosa - He didn’t even try to block me!

Dont believe me? Look it up.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The Dark Side runs deep with some armchair GM’s and the Peterman strong dislike.  

Ot is noce to hear tje ever dour beat reporters payong compliments though

I feel the opposite. I can’t figure out why some people are so hopeful for him? He has been awful when given the chance and was the 191st pick for a reason. Where is the optimism coming from? @Alphadawg7 did a pretty good job of saying what ACTUALLY happened not what we want to happen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Ot is noce to hear tje ever dour beat reporters payong compliments though

Nobody hates Peterman...but I think people hate the extreme and gross over exaggeration of him.  I mean there are people in this thread, on this page of the thread too, making comparisons to former #1 overall picks and first ballot HOF QB's for crying out loud.  He is not remotely the same type of prospect as them nor remotely has the same tools to work with.  

I like him actually and have no issues with Peterman winning the starting job if he outplays everyone and I would cheer him on just like I will cheer on whoever wins the job.  I just think the odds are very low it will happen.  We are talking about an unheralded college QB who wasn't good under pressure in college and been even worse so far in the NFL.  49% career passer with 6 INTS and 3 Fumbles in 52 pass attempts...50% career preseason passer against scrubs...weak arm...bad under pressure...still waiting for his positives other than being a very likable guy.  But liking a guy and being rational and realistic in him as a prospect are two different things.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I feel the opposite. I can’t figure out why some people are so hopeful for him? He has been awful when given the chance and was the 191st pick for a reason. Where is the optimism coming from? @Alphadawg7 did a pretty good job of saying what ACTUALLY happened not what we want to happen.

He was a 5th round rookie not ready to play, we all knew that.   

He was was put in because the starter was horrible for 4 of 5 weeks.  That is what ACTUALLY happened.  

I’m more confident in saying Nate may have an upside and knowing TT will never be a franchise guy.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nobody hates Peterman...but I think people hate the extreme and gross over exaggeration of him

Nobody?   

Lets agree to disagree.  

Simcerly Mrs Peterman. 

The “hater” (as you referred to him)  knows what that means.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Peterman completed just 50% of his passes in the preseason, he did NOT outplay anyone.  And not only did he only complete 50% of his passes (Which is Tebow-esque accuracy)

We definitely should not be using preseason completion percentage as a stand in for accuracy. Peterman was generally accurate as far as I could see. He obviously needs to improve in other aspects.

I like Peterman because I believe he has potential.  I also would not be surprised he gets cut at the end of camp.  What I really don't get is how fans can be so violently sure one way or the other.  

What makes sports fun is that there is a fine line between a very good and very bad player.  Someone could have all the skill in the world but it never comes together; while others are able to squeeze out every ounce of potential to become a valued member of the team.  

It was painful to watch the San Diego game but even if it's impossible to excuse the overall result, you have to admire his ability to bounce back. He was a good college player, he played well in his first pre-season and worked his way to two starts (coaches choice and injury).  Moreover, according to every report, Peterman seems to have made notable improvements through OTAs.  He may never be a full-time starter, and may not make this year's team, but it's impossible to say he won't at least be a reliable, career back-up like Frank Reich, which would be pretty could for a 5th Rounder.  

• Like (+1) 1