Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The amazing thing is everybody just goes to that SD game. But nobody ever mentions that  Peterman started ANOTHER game after that. A game we had to win and a game that he played pretty well in. I’m not done with him. I’m not expecting him to be great or anything but I’m not giving up on him.

The game where he attempted 10 passes?

33 minutes ago, iinii said:

Will this thread ever unravel?

I've been asking that question for a while now.

At this time of year, even a thread like this can have tremendous staying power! 

Don't underestimate TBD!

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The amazing thing is everybody just goes to that SD game. But nobody ever mentions that  Peterman started ANOTHER game after that. A game we had to win and a game that he played pretty well in. I’m not done with him. I’m not expecting him to be great or anything but I’m not giving up on him.

That's them wanting to nail the coffin shut with him in it...

Unfortunately for them, Peterman is showing more life now than ever before.

And both McDermott and Daboll see it.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They may start games but will never be high end starters. Peterman’s issues are well documented (lack of arm strength, struggles with pressure, spotty accuracy) and McCarron is a limited athlete with limited arm strength. They both can be game managers but neither can be “the guy” on a championship caliber team. That’s why they went in the 5th. That’s why McCarron got the contract that he did.

I guess “anything is possible” but I’d say that there’s a .5% chance of either of those guys being elite QBs. The Bills aren’t betting on the long shot. They are betting on the guy with all of the talent in the world. That’s why I keep saying that the Bills concern is Allen’s development and not the day 1 starter. Those guys may keep the seat warm but they aren’t battling him for the job. It’s his as soon as he is ready. We all better hope that the Bills were right or start looking at the QB class in the 2020 draft. Jake Frohm anyone? How about Tua Tagovailoa? 

Again.  lets not twist this any other way than it is too soon to pass a permanent judgement on any of these guys.  

There is a laundry list of weaknesses that can fit these guys. 

Report 1

Weaknesses: 

• He needs to be more efficient and display more touch in ****.
  • He forces too many balls and needs to learn to take some easy completions underneath.
  • He needs to sacrifice some velocity and improve ball placement in the quick passing game.

Report 2

Weaknesses: 

• Wildly inconsistent
  • Completed under 60% of his passes
  • Struggles with turnovers
  • Makes plenty of bad decisions

2 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I wonder how QBs compare in practice so far to last years group. Seems to be more positive so far.

Seems the same to me.  

Joe Buscaglia

Peterman outplays McCarron once again

"For the majority of the practice, A.J. McCarron took the first-team reps with the offense as it was his turn during their spring-long rotation, but as the veteran quarterbacks on the team go, Nathan Peterman outperformed McCarron just as he did on Tuesday as well. McCarron had several passes batted down at the line of scrimmage and was having some trouble connecting with his receiver. He salvaged the day with a pair of big plays, one to Andre Holmes in the end zone in a jump ball situation, and another in a one-minute drill to end practice where he just lofted up a pass as time expired and Rod Streater miraculously came down with it in the back of the end zone. On the other hand, Peterman was solid in both his reads and his accuracy all day long. He gunned in a touchdown to Austin Proehl in the back of the end zone, and had a pretty pass that he dropped into a bucket on a deep pass to Robert Foster. Those that don't think Peterman has a legitimate chance to win the job to start the season are sorely mistaken. Now, this is only the spring, and training camp often brings us a bit of a different story as the battles play out, but of the five practices the media has been able to watch, Peterman has been the top guy between the two".

It's the first bolded piece of text that I think is really being overlooked ...and by choice in a lot of cases in here.

Edited by BurpleBull
  • Like (+1) 2

McDermott said the QB rotation will be the same when training camp begins, Peterman/McCarron rotating with the 1s and Allen with the 3s. Seems like it's a long shot for Allen to be named the starter for week 1, and there have been no indications that McCarron is outperforming Peterman. If anything the opposite has been true. Do people still think it's really unlikely that Peterman starts the year? I would say if anything he might now be the odds on favorite. Unless the open competition is just for show but I seriously doubt that.

You'll never convince me NP has an advantage over AJ or Allen just because he was on the team last year. Most of the WR are new and it's a new system. Allen get a pass because he's a rookie, but AJ should be on par if not ahead of NP because of experience.

So...If the QB who has looked the best in practice, sucks, what does that say about others?

We're doomed. :death:

26 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

You'll never convince me NP has an advantage over AJ or Allen just because he was on the team last year. Most of the WR are new and it's a new system. Allen get a pass because he's a rookie, but AJ should be on par if not ahead of NP because of experience.

So...If the QB who has looked the best in practice, sucks, what does that say about others?

We're doomed. :death:

Who's trying to sell that he has an advantage because he was on the team last season?

On 6/12/2018 at 3:39 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.when is the last time we have had this kind of POTENTIAL QB depth?..

If we use the Hill Parcell's definition of POTENTIAL (you ain't done within' yet), we have had it many times.I

EJ, Tuel, and THADDEUS MAXIMUS for example.

JP and Trent is another ...

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

If we use the Hill Parcell's definition of POTENTIAL (you ain't done within' yet), we have had it many times.I

EJ, Tuel, and THADDEUS MAXIMUS for example.

JP and Trent is another ...

...sounds more like the throes of depression........

• Like (+1) 1

I voted that Allen would win the starting job, but Peterman has certainly had the best offseason of the 3 QBs. He's even been noted more for communicating on the field and organizing workouts with the WRs during the 6 week break.

So, if things continue the way they are, where does that leave McCarron? He'll be sent packing if he's the third QB.

I first want to say that Josh Allen is a nice PROSPECT, but he's not ready to play in the NFL despite wowing people with the Jamarcus Russell arm. He'll no doubt show well during preseason against 3rd stringers but we shouldn't be thinking about him as a potential starter for the Bills until 2020 at the earliest.

Nathan Peterman however is THE TRUTH: exact, no fault, no fake, thrust worthy, clear, absolute etc. Easy to understand how some could write him off after a disastrous debut in LA last year but there is still a distinct reason why Tyrod Taylor was benched for him and is no longer on this team. Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott knew the moxy and grit were there all along despite Peterman free falling from as high as a 1st round pick and dropping into the Bills laps in the 5th round.

I have followed Nathan Peterman's career from his days as a four star recruit out of Bartram HS in Florida. At the time many felt he was the next elite NFL prospect and things did not obviously pan out of him at Tenn mostly due to very high expectations and being compared to the next Peyton Manning (yes that' how good he is/was). Obviously things took off for him after transferring to PITT including a legendary performance against eventual national champion Clemson (their only loss that season).

At the end of the day Nathan Peterman is turning heads in his 2nd NFL offseason and there is a lot of a chatter already that the Bills may have made a mistake with their draft capital on Allen this yea after seeing him drop some straight up dimes in these practices this week. I look forward to watching Nathan dominate this year as the Bills starter and best case scenario for the Bills is they end up having two elite NFL starting QB's but if Allen doesn't pan out they can likely trade him for something worthwhile in return.

Just remember where you were in 5 years, the juices flowing, the unveiling of a premier NFL player that may become the next Tom Brady or better.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/21/2018 at 3:16 PM, BurpleBull said:

Nathan Peterman will win the starting QB position barring injury. He'll be much improved from last season.

Excited about Josh Allen as the starting QB, but Peterman is the guy people aren't talking about right now who will have everyone talking by the end of training camp.

He's worked on his mechanics, is said to have added velocity to his throws, has a lot to prove and is no stranger to struggling early in his career and picking himself up.

A little talked about fact concerning Peterman is that he's right up there with Allen as Bills QB's who've scored high on the Wonderlic test for those who equate the test to mental sharpness.

I still hold to the belief that Peterman was at the very least a third round prospect in his draft class.

Peterman will be the guy.

So this is how I have it panning out... 

1. Peterman

2. McCarron

3. Allen

With Allen at three for his protection as he starts out his young career.

You are certainly a wise individual and I agree 110% with this prognostication and it's no mistake he's dropping dimes and turning heads so far this offseason. Look forward to preseason and the massive progress he shows compared to last year when he was also quite impressive out of the gate.

What a time to be alive!