Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Josh Allen getting on the field early, which may be a short term failure in exchange for quicker long-lasting future success due to experience can still be easily looked at as "team success."

You missed the scenario I laid out perhaps.

As unrealistic as you may feel it is, in it Peterman has led the Bills to a perfect 10-0 record, throwing for 15tds against 4ints heading into the bye week.

Letting Allen take his lumps from the start to gain that experience is one thing, but to pull a successful Peterman or McCarron from the lineup and possibly kill team chemistry and momentum just for the sake of getting a more developed, more complete Allen on the field is something totally different.

It was being suggested that coaches would do such a thing and from the sound of things, such a move would be supported on these boards.

I can understand the excitement surrounding Josh Allen, but championing Allen at the expense of team: on-field chemistry, momentum, and a unified locker room, is something I just could not do.

2 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

You missed the scenario I laid out perhaps.

As unrealistic as you may feel it is, in it Peterman has led the Bills to a perfect 10-0 record, throwing for 15tds against 4ints heading into the bye week.

Letting Allen take his lumps from the start to gain that experience is one thing...

I didn’t miss it I ignored it. I love fiction and comedy, satire and even farce, but really not into serious science fiction fantasy. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But one now. Much better chance of winning it than Peterman going 10-0.

I wonder what the actual odds of it are? If Peterman is the starter and you bet a 10 week parlay, Bills money line x10 what would it pay? They will only be the favorites in a game or 2 at that point. 50,000 to 1? It is probably something like that.

It's early, but I'm glad the coaches are taking a look at all 3 QBs.  

Anybody remember the QB competition of '10 that wasn't?  Gailey was quick to declare Trent Edwards the starter over Fitzmagic and Brohm.  2 regular season games later, Edwards was deemed unfit for a roster spot.  I think McDermott is smarter than that.

I don't see McCarron as a lock to start over Peterman; they seem pretty comparable to me.

22 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I wonder what the actual odds of it are? If Peterman is the starter and you bet a 10 week parlay, Bills money line x10 what would it pay? They will only be the favorites in a game or 2 at that point. 50,000 to 1? It is probably something like that.

OK, I’ll buy the Powerball ticket now, and if I win I’ll put $100k on Peterman for 10-0. When I win THAT, I’ll share it with you all. Feel free to retire now, if you’d like. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didn’t miss it I ignored it. I love fiction and comedy, satire and even farce, but really not into serious science fiction fantasy. 

Yet you still chose to respond.

Missed or ignored, your response wasn't within the context of the conversation. 

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A disaster only to those “hating” on Nate.   

It’s not a disaster to anyone. Only some people care more about players than the team. Those people are still actively participating in a 23 page thread talking about former players.

Wanting Nate to succeed and thinking he will are 2 totally different things. I WANT him to be a superstar. I will be shocked if that happens.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not a disaster to anyone. Only some people care more about players than the team. Those people are still actively participating in a 23 page thread talking about former players.

Wanting Nate to succeed and thinking he will are 2 totally different things. I WANT him to be a superstar. I will be shocked if that happens.

I agree that Nate is at best a good long term backup. But do you agree he looked more like a prototypical NFL starter than Tyrod at times? Throwing on time, knowing where to go, etc. I don’t believe he’s the answer (nor was Tyrod), but he LOOKED different than Tyrod, and I think that swayed some people here. Nate may have looked “better” because Tyrod was....Tyrod. Given the choice, I’ll take Tyrod. 

And if anyone thinks you are a hater, they are just silly. You have an opinion, as we all do. We ALL want the Bills to succeed. 

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I care about the team and after 3 seasons of sandlot qb play I can now care more.  

3 seasons is my judgement point.  You either prove yourself or you don’t.  

I’d be shocked too but I’m still not calling him a complete failure or a PS guy just yet.  

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I care about the team and after 3 seasons of sandlot qb play I can now care more.  

3 seasons is my judgement point.  You either prove yourself or you don’t.  

I’d be shocked too but I’m still not calling him a complete failure or a PS guy just yet.  

Hey, we all agree that the Bills needed to add their franchise QB this offseason. They did. It’s just a matter of whether or not he will be that. Teams hit at a pretty high percentage in that area but Allen has a massive ceiling and a pretty low floor. The other QBs are just there. They aren’t viable long-term options. They don’t have the requisite skills to be more than bottom end starters or backups. We had a guy that was better than that (a decent game manager). We need a guy who is THE answer. That will either be Allen or we will be looking again in 2 years like Denver did with Lynch. 

• Like (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It would be amazing. We have been waiting on a guy forever. We’d have Allen as trade bait and maybe even McCarron.

I probably need to lay off the sarcasm. (misconstrued by some.)

What I meant was if Peterman starts and is good it upsets expectations of Allen becoming the new Kelly. 

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They aren’t viable long-term options. They don’t have the requisite skills to be more than bottom end starters or backups.

It’s too early to tell.   

They could be career backups or starters somewhere someday.  

W/o them actually being a starter we just don’t know.  I’m not passing judgment yet either way for success or failure.  

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It’s too early to tell.   

They could be career backups or starters somewhere someday.  

W/o them actually being a starter we just don’t know.  I’m not passing judgment yet either way for success or failure.  

They may start games but will never be high end starters. Peterman’s issues are well documented (lack of arm strength, struggles with pressure, spotty accuracy) and McCarron is a limited athlete with limited arm strength. They both can be game managers but neither can be “the guy” on a championship caliber team. That’s why they went in the 5th. That’s why McCarron got the contract that he did.

I guess “anything is possible” but I’d say that there’s a .5% chance of either of those guys being elite QBs. The Bills aren’t betting on the long shot. They are betting on the guy with all of the talent in the world. That’s why I keep saying that the Bills concern is Allen’s development and not the day 1 starter. Those guys may keep the seat warm but they aren’t battling him for the job. It’s his as soon as he is ready. We all better hope that the Bills were right or start looking at the QB class in the 2020 draft. Jake Frohm anyone? How about Tua Tagovailoa? 

The amazing thing is everybody just goes to that SD game. But nobody ever mentions that  Peterman started ANOTHER game after that. A game we had to win and a game that he played pretty well in. I’m not done with him. I’m not expecting him to be great or anything but I’m not giving up on him.

• Like (+1) 3