Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

On 5/23/2018 at 7:00 AM, GunnerBill said:

The chances of Nathan Peterman being a successful or even passable NFL Quarterback have precisely zero to do with Tyrod Taylor.  I can't understand why he keeps being referred to. 

The references are beng made because of cause and effect.  

Terrible Taylor sucked for a whole month and Nate was put in because of it.  

Something had to be done and said.  It was a kick in the ass to Taylor and witch actually made him play better for 3 or 4 weeks before he turtled once again.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker say hi.

I'm hoping the foolishness and inexplicable oddity of past decisions have been banished to the sordid past. Whether one disagrees with some of the decisions that the McBeane tandem has made since their arrival at least you can understand their reasoning and logic for making them. Decisions such as hiring Marv to be the GM or bringing in Rex or an inexplicable passivity of Whaley towards addressing the qb issue were not only bad decisions they were simply zany decisions.  The hallmark for this regime isn't brilliance or creativity as it is basic competency in doing their job. Too bad the process couldn't have started a couple of years earlier. 

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Do we just overhype every qb we draft?  I actually feel bad for NP.  He should have never started last year.  He’s a lot closer to be out of the league than starting.  Love it if he surprised but this was hardly a special talent.  And his best trait was he was the most “nfl ready” and we saw how that went.  He is at his ceiling already.

Yes, typically.

Then when we see he sucks, we rip him back down to nothing and cheer for a replacement.

Any replacement.

:lol:

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm hoping the foolishness and inexplicable oddity of past decisions have been banished to the sordid past. Whether one disagrees with some of the decisions that the McBeane tandem has made since their arrival at least you can understand their reasoning and logic for making them. Decisions such as hiring Marv to be the GM or bringing in Rex or an inexplicable passivity of Whaley towards addressing the qb issue were not only bad decisions they were simply zany decisions.  The hallmark for this regime isn't brilliance or creativity as it is basic competency in doing their job. Too bad the process couldn't have started a couple of years earlier. 

I.E., it's been so bad for so long around here, average, competent work stands out as being superior.

LOL!

It's true!

3 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

:lol:

I.E., it's been so bad for so long around here, average, competent work stands out as being superior.

LOL!

It's true!

At least now there is hope. Before you knew that before there was a snap taken at the beginning of the season we didn't stand a chance. 

Where I have a different perspective is I still don't know how McDermott got his stripped down team to win 9 games and make it to the playoffs? Getting that below average talented team into the playoffs was a tribute to McDermott and the players buying in to what he was selling. That was a masterful coaching job done under challenging conditions. 

4 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

What a lot of other people have already said.  The Bills don't know what they have in McCarron, Allen, or Peterman.  They won't really know much until they get into the preseason games.  Worst case for Peterman, he gets cut before the start of the season.  Best case, IMO, is that he backs up whomever is the starter.  As a team, you don't go out into the free agent market and sign a guy and then follow that up with moving up in the draft for a QB if you think that the guy that was already on your roster is the starter.  Right now, all of the QB's are getting throws with first team offense, but McCarron is getting the lion's share.  That should tell us something

How do we know this?  I've been looking for info but thought the media wasn't allowed in until tomorrow.

Also, AFAIK, Josh Allen is one of the two rookies who haven't signed their contract yet.  Doesn't  that limit his participation?

8 hours ago, billsfan60 said:

A couple of things,  First, nobody getting to the pros is a "scrub". There are wildly divergent levels of ability, but all have something that got them there. Second, watching someone under center who could read a defense, go through his progressions and throw a WR open has become a novelty. Third, seeing a QB willing to actually throw the ball was like a breath of fresh air. After the clown show of the past three years at QB I'll take any of the three QBs we have right now. All we know for sure is there will be an uptick in QB play from here on out. Allen is the odds on favorite, long term, but for this year Nate has as good a chance as anyone. 

Pretty much illustrating Kirby’s point here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I love that there is a 10 page thread about a guy who will be on our PS at best this year.  LMAO...starter?  hahaha some people fell for some serious troll bait here.  

6 Interceptions in less than 3 quarters of NFL play.  But the preseason right...?  You mean the preseason where he completed just 50% of his passes against 3rd stringers and dudes not in the NFL?  Lol.  I like the kid, but come on, how can anyone actually believe he has a real shot to win the job here?  

Seriously, I mean the kid makes a COUPLE throws in preseason that people felt TT didn't make enough of, and all of a sudden he's put on this pedestal despite what he showed on the field.  

Hahaha...except this isn't troll bait.

9 hours ago, billsfan60 said:

A couple of things,  First, nobody getting to the pros is a "scrub". There are wildly divergent levels of ability, but all have something that got them there. Second, watching someone under center who could read a defense, go through his progressions and throw a WR open has become a novelty. Third, seeing a QB willing to actually throw the ball was like a breath of fresh air. After the clown show of the past three years at QB I'll take any of the three QBs we have right now. All we know for sure is there will be an uptick in QB play from here on out. Allen is the odds on favorite, long term, but for this year Nate has as good a chance as anyone. 

Interesting post when you refer to it as a clown show and the post appears to be from a clown and not the happy kind.  It is a contradiction from first sentence in paragraph.

...highly doubt he is the starter...at the same time, the kid for a 5th has shown some acclimation to the speed and complexity of the game at this level.....gray matter moxy comes way before physicality.....having him show more promise but ending up on the PS works for me...why the hell not?.....

5 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

Nathan Peterman has a decently live arm and can be pretty darn accurate when he has a clean pocket. When he’s getting crushed by JJ Watt repeatedly in his first start he also showed he can turn the ball over plenty too. 

JJ Watt who plays for Texans?  P5t5rman's first start was again Chargers.

5 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

Just keeping him around to strike a deal with Gruden who liked Peterman so much he believed he was the most pro ready QB in the draft. 

Maybe there will be a lot of injuries and Gruden will trade 2 5th round picks (like P5t5rman threw) for him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SoCoBills said:

Nathan Peterman has a decently live arm and can be pretty darn accurate when he has a clean pocket. When he’s getting crushed by JJ Watt repeatedly in his first start he also showed he can turn the ball over plenty too. 

That said - for McDermott to make the move he did last season to put in Peterman it tells me that Peterman must perform really well in practice. I truly believe the coaching staff expected him to go out there and light it up. 

The biggest shame isn’t that performance but the fact that his other start was in the snow storm game where it was nearly impossible to evaluate him. He made plenty of clutch throws in AWFUL conditions and that really showed me something. Especially some of those back shoulder throws to a hobbled looking Benjamin. 

Remember - we don’t get to see what happens in practices all season.. The coaching staff does.

I do believe Nate has a realistic shot at winning the job and performing well. McCarron doesn’t have great stats. He has one meh playoff game where he almost got a win. I watched him at Alabama bc my wife and I are Bama fans as well and while he’s a real good leader he was probably the weak link of that offense in that he had elite talent around him but he was limited in what he could do. He was just trustworthy with the football. 

Exactly. McDermott would not have come out to confidently tell the press that Peterman was "ready" to start in the Chargers game if he had not shown great progress as a rookie during practices. 

You've gotta be doing a good deal of positive things to get the coach behind you as a rookie, despite having a solid vet available.

As you stated in the snow game he made great throws, but he also made great throws during preseason, a back shoulder completion to Zay Jones thrown on a line (during a two minute situation I believe) being one that really stood out and showed his capability and willingness to take and make tough, necessary throws as a QB.

I don't know if people knew or not, but he was one of the better QB's in his draft class at completing the deep pass.

Don't know why so many people think the idea of Peterman making strides from his rookie season and impressing the coaches to the point of being awarded the starting QB position is so farfetched.

3 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I think it is called Burple, a new synthetic from China

Burple - Wikipedia

Burple is a discontinued drink mix that was packaged in an expandable accordion-like plastic container. There were two sizes of Burple available, a lunchbox-size and a full-size container.

Edited by Limeaid

38 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...highly doubt he is the starter...at the same time, the kid for a 5th has shown some acclimation to the speed and complexity of the game at this level.....gray matter moxy comes way before physicality.....having him show more promise but ending up on the PS works for me...why the hell not?.....

He wouldn't last 5min. On the p.s. they need to keep 3spots this year.

14 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Exactly. McDermott would not have come out to confidently tell the press that Peterman was "ready" to start in the Chargers game if he had not shown great progress as a rookie during practices. 

You've gotta be doing a good deal of positive things to get the coach behind you as a rookie, despite having a solid vet available.

As you stated in the snow game he made great throws, but he also made great throws during preseason, a back shoulder completion to Zay Jones thrown on a line (during a two minute situation I believe) being one that really stood out and showed his capability and willingness to take and make tough, necessary throws as a QB.

I don't know if people knew or not, but he was one of the better QB's in his draft class at completing the deep pass.

Don't know why so many people think the idea of Peterman making strides from his rookie season and impressing the coaches to the point of being awarded the starting QB position is so farfetched.

His  ball placement is outstanding.imo

12 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

He wouldn't last 5min. On the p.s. they need to keep 3spots this year.

His  ball placement is outstanding.imo

The Chargers would agree with you. 

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Haha (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Burple - Wikipedia

Burple is a discontinued drink mix that was packaged in an expandable accordion-like plastic container. There were two sizes of Burple available, a lunchbox-size and a full-size container.

Limeaid taught me about a drink mix called Burple! Too a-propos ?

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do we know this?  I've been looking for info but thought the media wasn't allowed in until tomorrow.

Also, AFAIK, Josh Allen is one of the two rookies who haven't signed their contract yet.  Doesn't  that limit his participation?

I would have to backtrack to see if I can find the source.  I read as much as I can, when I can during the off season.  I don't know about Allen and signing versus participation.  With the whole rookie salary scale thing, I wouldn't think it would matter a whole lot.