Skynyrd vs. Young

RaoulDuke79

Skynyrd vs. Young  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which camp are you in?

I'm sitting out here on a beautiful day and sweet home alabama is playing, and the verse "Southern man don't need him around anyhow" passes by. Im sure most of you know the story. Which side are you on, and by that I mean who's music do you like better. 

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Favorite-Band-Killing-Rivalries/dp/0316259152

The real story is in this book.  It's not as contentious as you would imagine.  Unfortunately, I read it a while back and I smoke too much weed so my memory sucks and I can't remember the details.  I just remember being like, really, that's it?

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1

Neil Young was/is a lyrical genius.  He tackled controversial issues with eloquence and grace.  Excellent guitar player.  Beautiful voice.  And insane passion.

Skynyrd was not devoid of talent, by any means.  Southern Rock bands, however, are one-trick-ponies.  Three part harmonies, Les Pauls, cheesy lyrics and guitar solos that usually last too long.

I could listen to Neil Young every day for the rest of my life and smile daily.

I could listen to Skynyrd every six months for the rest of my life and wish I was listening to the Allman Bros., instead.

• Like (+1) 6

Love Skynard and Young. Skynard is really good though. Still holds up great today. 

Young used to go to a lot of Shark games but checked out when he took up with that fish movie actress. Moved to LA never to be seen again.

Neil Young made an album Zuma because he lived on that beach in Malibu. I never got to there but have been on other beaches near there.

I've been to Alabama's Gulf coast beaches and they are much nicer in my opinion, but not sure if Skynyrd ever sang about them.

That's all I got on this debate, except that I've seen the original Ronnie VanZant Skynyrd twice and Neil Young three times.

6 hours ago, Dante said:

Love Skynard and Young. Skynard is really good though. Still holds up great today. 

Young used to go to a lot of Shark games but checked out when he took up with that fish movie actress. Moved to LA never to be seen again.

Neil Young and Ellen DeGeneres?  I never knew that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Neil Young was/is a lyrical genius.  He tackled controversial issues with eloquence and grace.  Excellent guitar player.  Beautiful voice.  And insane passion.

Skynyrd was not devoid of talent, by any means.  Southern Rock bands, however, are one-trick-ponies.  Three part harmonies, Les Pauls, cheesy lyrics and guitar solos that usually last too long.

I could listen to Neil Young every day for the rest of my life and smile daily.

I could listen to Skynyrd every six months for the rest of my life and wish I was listening to the Allman Bros., instead.

I watched a Skynyrd documentary on Amazon a while back and as a father of a budding guitarist I suggest you watch it. Skynyrd (and Ronnie to be exact) were perfectionists. They perfected their craft by practicing 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Go back and listen to One More From the Road. Ronnie wanted their live performances to sound exactly like the studio version. The band I played in many many years ago played mostly Allman Bros. and Skynyrd and I am probably a bigger ABB fan just due to their improv/jamming which I love. However it recently dawned on me my drumming style mimicks Pyle’s. Simply put the Allman Bros music had a jazzy/bluesy style whereas  Skynyrd simply kicked ass!

Neil Young?  Bah. Too political. Yes I’m a conservative and he’s a liberal weenie but keep politics out of your music. Either side.  Reason why I’ve been turned off of Ted Nugent. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dante said:

One of many reasons why Crosby and Neil don't speak. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Neil Young.  Not even close.

bah..sound like an Old Man. You should really look at your life! Skynard more energy! 

44 minutes ago, stony said:

One of many reasons why Crosby and Neil don't speak. 

Did Crosby go out with her?

53 minutes ago, Dante said:

bah..sound like an Old Man. You should really look at your life! Skynard more energy! 

Is 39 old?!  I suppose you’re as old as you feel.  I have pretty diverse tastes when it comes to music, and I do enjoy Skynard.  

Comparing Young and Skynard to me in a no-brainer though.  Skynard=good, Young=great.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Young pulling away... Neck and neck...

Young is a nutty enviro...

Similar to actors or professional athletes, I don’t really give a crap about their politics.  Do you?

56 minutes ago, Dante said:

Did Crosby go out with her?

No, but he made some public comments about Neil and Pegi's split IIRC.  Neil didn't appreciate it.  It put the kibosh on any prospective CSNY reunion.