6-15: Brandon Beane on One Bills Live

6-15: Bills' GM Brandon Beane on One Bills Live (20:13)

#Bills GM Brandon Beane on the team's radio station on minicamp: "You have to remind yourself that it's shorts and t-shirts."

Brandon Beane: "It's probably not an ideal situation to have a center battle and a QB battle at the same time. I believe you want to be strong up the middle in any sport." #Bills

Beane says the positions you can judge the most in minicamp are skill positions such as RB and WR. Stresses strong hands. But mentions everything is a little bit of "fool's gold" during minicamp. #Bills

Brandon Beane says you want a "diverse" WR group. Mix it up with size and speed. From what I saw through minicamp, it was Kelvin Benjamin and then everyone else moving up and down the depth chart. No clear front-runners heading into training camp. #Bills

Beane - Zay Jones should be close to returning for training camp. Looking forward to seeing him back out there. #Bills

Beane says Zay Jones won't just be thrown in with the 1s upon start of training camp. has to earn spot. Note he's only worked with Nathan Peterman. #Bills

Beane on Zay Jones: "Well first, we'll have to get him back in there, he's missed a lot reps... He'll jump in and have to earn it. He's not going to go to the front of the line, he'll have to earn it." #Bills

Beane - I think Josh has come in and has put his head down, following directions from the coaching staff. He's meshing well into the group. #Bills

Beane on Josh Allen: "He hasn't come in and assumed he expects to start or not to start... he's just meshed in the group (coaches included). He's embraced 'earn the right.'" #Bills

Brandon Beane echos what we've heard from Sean McDermott about Josh Allen: He's a sponge. Loves football and studying the game. Allen himself has said multiple times he's all football. #Bills

Beane - We've taken things cautiously with Trent Murphy, maybe more than he would have liked too. We thought the pro decision would be to give him plenty of time for his knee. We feel he'll be ready to roll. #Bills

Beane on Trent Murphy: "We probably took it very cautiously, maybe too cautiously for Trent... I have no doubt he'll be ready to roll." (Murphy is coming off an ACL injury) #Bills

Beane - We had a hole at MLB, a gaping need. Tremaine Edmunds has done a great job coming in, the vets have embraced him. It's been a trial by fire for him. #Bills

Beane - Star Lotulelei is a very selfless guy. He loves to take on the double and watch his teammates go to work. He's gonna be a big part of what we do on defense. #Bills

Beane - We'll keep an eye on what's out there, but there probably won't be a lot  of movement around the league. We're still looking to do whatever to get better as a team. #Bills

Beane - We're always looking to win today and win tomorrow. If there's a move that can help us do that, we'll look to make that move. #Bills

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm glad to hear Zay won't be gifted a starting spot. I wouldn't even assume he will make the team at this point. The receiver competition should be very interesting.

He’s still McD’s draft pick and as a second rounder he’s not getting cut this year, especially with the lack of proven talent on the wr depth chart 

10 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

He’s still McD’s draft pick and as a second rounder he’s not getting cut this year, especially with the lack of proven talent on the wr depth chart 

Agree.  Zay will most likely make the team, just a matter of him being WR2, 3, or 4.

I liked his comments on Star.  Star is not going to be in the record book "statistically".

His job is to eat of blockers and he likes doing that.

Said Keuchly praised Star for freeing him up to make plays.

Let's hope Star can help make Edmunds a star! 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

I don't think that's how McDermott operates. If other receivers are performing better he's not going to give Zay a freebie just because he was drafted higher. Don't forget he fired Dennison after just one year. He'll move on right away regardless of how it makes him look. We brought in a lot of youth at the position and Zay has his work cut out for him.

Would be shocked if Jones did not make the squad. I echo the thought that he'll make it, whether it be as WR2, WR3, WR4, or what. I don't mind the committee approach. I think, regardless of what an ideal WR group might look like, that Benjamin/Jones/Kerley/Holmes can be an effective corps. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think I'm higher on Zay Jones than most.  I think his struggles were purely mental last year and didn't have any confidence on the field.

He did improve a lot by the end of the year so I'm hoping that continues on to this year.

I'm actually with you.  His rookie year was atrocious.  But, as seen in college, we know the kid knows how to catch.  I full expect him to bounce back (once physically healthy) and have a very solid sophomore campaign.

12 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think that's how McDermott operates. If other receivers are performing better he's not going to give Zay a freebie just because he was drafted higher. Don't forget he fired Dennison after just one year. He'll move on right away regardless of how it makes him look. We brought in a lot of youth at the position and Zay has his work cut out for him.

Coordinators get fired after a year all the time. Second round picks don’t. 

...a 40 year old GM, a true bred football guy who started as an unpaid intern in 1998 is our GM?...same guy who assembled a staff of 17+ consisting of many former executive level personnel guys from throughout the league?.... gratis Mr. Pegula.......coupled with a 44 yr old HC whom he knows well?......is this a "painful OBD ruse or fairy tale"?.......no more misfits or unqualifieds plugged into positions of a FOOTBALL organization?...no more over the hill "re-tireds" with new red line polyglass radials and a fresh tube of Polident calling the shots?...same gang that the "expert MB pundNUTS" wanted fired?....folks, so far so good IMO......the best is yet to come.....stay tuned.....

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/15/2018 at 1:31 PM, FluffHead said:

Yes he is his pick. But lots of the wr are his picks at the moment and the others did not try to jump out of a window for Jesus so....

Zay will make the 53 and will only be out produced by Benjamin, Clay, and

Kerley.

I like their extremely cautious approach with Murphy. 

I love the sponge comment about Allen. I can see why they liked him before the draft regardless of the completion percentage. I recently rewatched The Matrix. The sponge comment made me think of the part where neo is having all of the information implanted and dozer calls him a machine. Is Josh "The One"?

I kid, but still really, really like everything I hear about Allen. He's obviously got a lot of work to do, but I can't imagine he fails due to lack of effort.

On 6/15/2018 at 2:03 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I think I'm higher on Zay Jones than most.  I think his struggles were purely mental last year and didn't have any confidence on the field.

He did improve a lot by the end of the year so I'm hoping that continues on to this year.

I agree - I also think timing had a lot to do with the struggles he had.  He came from a timing offense and got a lot of throws just after the breaks and as he was running free. 

TT was late on throws and I think they never got into a good rhythm- that then lead to him getting into his own head and created stone hands. 

Mix it all of that with his injury and I think it was just really bad.

I don’t know what he will give us, but I suspect he and a bunch of these young guys mixed with the new QB and offense are going to surprise some people.