Underage drinking

Mr Info

Maybe she was looking for her beer bong?  Only thing I can think of...pretty stupid, otherwise.  Good thing the owner didn't start up the truck, which her head would be like a big banana in the tailpipe.

This was a totally dumb thing to do.  However, part of me feels bad for young kids growing up in these days when everything is recorded.  I personally have done a gazillion dumb things when drinking growing up.  The good news is nothing got recorded back then.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, IslandBillsFan said:

This was a totally dumb thing to do.  However, part of me feels bad for young kids growing up in these days when everything is recorded.  I personally have done a gazillion dumb things when drinking growing up.  The good news is nothing got recorded back then.   

CDC studies show that teens are doing less drinking/drugs/sexual intercourse than in recent decades and I think that's part of the reason why.

Young people are aware of all the cameras around them. It's a threat.

Education and awareness has gotten better, too, but that will only ever go so far. Peer influence is the key.

8 hours ago, Augie said:

When I grew up in WNY the drinking age was 18. That seemed to mean 16 was close enough. I saw cops just follow drunk drivers slowly drive home. What a different world! 

There was a bar near the Broadway Market we used to get served at 16. Moe & Eddie's.

1 hour ago, IslandBillsFan said:

Amen to that.

21 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There was a bar near the Broadway Market we used to get served at 16. Moe & Eddie's.

After a friend and I fixed the garden tractor for his 'all thumbs' father, we were soon sitting in the Ridge House tavern drinking draughts and having roast beef on hard rolls.  I was all of 14, my friend 16.  I think the food legitimized it in my friend's dad's mind.  

It was also a time where a lot of parents had the attitude "if you're going to drink, we'd rather you drink at home."  Didn't happen all that often, it was pretty much whoever's parents were out of town, that's where the 'Fridaynightbash' was.'

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

After a friend and I fixed the garden tractor for his 'all thumbs' father, we were soon sitting in the Ridge House tavern drinking draughts and having roast beef on hard rolls.  I was all of 14, my friend 16.  I think the food legitimized it in my friend's dad's mind.  

It was also a time where a lot of parents had the attitude "if you're going to drink, we'd rather you drink at home."  Didn't happen all that often, it was pretty much whoever's parents were out of town, that's where the 'Fridaynightbash' was.'

The funny thing is, my parents had the attitude of "drink all you want, just don't drive, or get in the car with a drunk driver. Call us, even if its 2am." Because it wasn't a rebelious thing to do, I never drank till I was 21. I went to bars all the time, and drank coke. Called my mom a few times for a ride home if my ride got too drunk. She was more than glad to pick me up.

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Maybe she was looking for her beer bong?  Only thing I can think of...pretty stupid, otherwise.  Good thing the owner didn't start up the truck, which her head would be like a big banana in the tailpipe.

"We're not gonna fall for a teenage-girl's-head-in-the-tailpipe..."

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good thing the owner didn't start up the truck, which her head would be like a big banana in the tailpipe.

Unfortunately real life physics doesn't act the same way as Looney Tunes physics. 

Instead of being comically ejected from the pipe, toxic gas would have just built up in the pipe and she would have suffocated.

• Like (+1) 1

What's more stupid?  Getting your head stuck in a tailpipe, or putting a tailpipe on your truck that is so f-ing big you can fit a human head in the damned thing.

Dude's gotta be losing exhaust gas speed with that stupid opening which in turn is robbing the engine of a few horses.

I guess he did it because "it looks cool."

:thumbdown:

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

CDC studies show that teens are doing less drinking/drugs/sexual intercourse than in recent decades and I think that's part of the reason why.

Young people are aware of all the cameras around them. It's a threat.

Education and awareness has gotten better, too, but that will only ever go so far. Peer influence is the key.

Huh.  My kid didn't want much to do with parties at her high school.  She would have groups of friends over or visit with other groups of friends, but not attend parties.

Underage binge drinking at parties was a large part of her reason.  Even if the parents were on the premises and not providing liquor or winking when it was carried in, kids would bring vodka and gin in Dasani or Fiji water bottles and drink 'til they had no idea which way was up.

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

What's more stupid?  Getting your head stuck in a tailpipe, or putting a tailpipe on your truck that is so f-ing big you can fit a human head in the damned thing.

Dude's gotta be losing exhaust gas speed with that stupid opening which in turn is robbing the engine of a few horses.

I guess he did it because "it looks cool."

:thumbdown:

Wrong. Why are you assuming it is petrol?

It's safety... Not supposed to stick a head in it.

qmv2hy8lqptnbqoc5xdo.png

Diesels need extra vents.

"But at highway speed, while the truck’s working hard to pull a trailer, the heat coming out of the truck’s tailpipe could be hot enough to melt your boat or hurt your horses. Or the front bumper of whoever’s tailgating you."

Maybe it was a diesel:

https://jalopnik.com/why-diesel-pickup-trucks-need-extra-vents-in-their-exha-1792497642

"Even as immense as the 2017 GMC Sierra HD Diesel is, its fart cannon tailpipe looks as comically oversized as the one on your high school buddy’s mad tight Honda Civic Si hatchback. As you may know, a high-flowing exhaust helps a turbocharged engine make power, but the tips on this particular truck are extra large for safety, not style."

“That’s actually just the tip,” engineer Tom Dye replied. I looked closer and realized, indeed, the biggest part of the pipe’s exit was just a clip-on tip. And it was full of vents.."

On 6/15/2018 at 4:47 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I worked for the Broadway Market manager (my uncle) when I was 15 and 16 in the 70s. There was a small bar, I think across the side street on the same side of Broadway where we could sneak over for a beer. We would get served no problem. Could have been Moe and Eddies, don't remember the name.