Kelvin Benjamin looking good ... where does he rank among AFCE WRs?

Best WR in AFC East  

231 members have voted

1. 1. Who is best WR in AFC East?

• Kelvin Benjamin, Bills
    • Julian Edelman, Pats
    • Danny Amendola, Fish
    • Terrell Pryor, Jets
    • Robby Anderson, Jets
    • Jermaine Kearse, Jets
    • Chris Hogan, Pats
    • Kenny Stills, Fish
    • Other

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Battles are won & loss in the trenches, and our offensive trenches have gotten worse by a large margin.

After that, not having any experience at the QB position could end up really killing us. Least experienced group in the league.

This offense could be historically awful. Defense will keep us in games like last season, but the offense is gonna be a rough thing to watch if this line can't play well above themselves. 10 wins in a division where we start 0-2 by default via the Pats (99% of the time), means we'd have to go 10-4 otherwise. Really think that's gonna happen with 1 decent WR and all the other offensive issues we have?

It happened last year , well 9-8 record , and going back and recently watching the Bengals week 5 and Jags week 18 games and the offensive system was awful . I don't see how it can be much worse. Just super boring with very little imagination. 

Our staff obviously addressed that by bringing in a new scheme. I expect expectations to be higher overall 

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Pryor looked quite good with Cleveland.  Fell off the rails last year.  I would have tried to get him on a one year deal.  

KB looks like the best in AFCE.  Still think Watkins is a better WR and they should have just kept him.  But KB should be good this year.  If Zay can catch the dam ball the WR position may be adequate.

Dont forget two things on Zay Jones.  He was all time leading Wr in catches in college.  Second, he played with a hurt wrist all year and never told anyone until after the season.

i have a feeling he’ll be fine, once he heals up from I think a knee injury.  Between KB, ZJ, and Clay we might be ok this year.

30 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Dont forget two things on Zay Jones.  He was all time leading Wr in catches in college.  Second, he played with a hurt wrist all year and never told anyone until after the season.

i have a feeling he’ll be fine, once he heals up from I think a knee injury.  Between KB, ZJ, and Clay we might be ok this year.

It was a shoulder injury 

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/13/bills-zay-jones-surgery-nfl/amp/

and now he’s recovering from a knee surgery 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Benjamin is solid but I don't see special.  If we don't re-sign him, he wouldn't be someone that I would throw my hands in the air and say "What is the FO doing??"

I think he's a lower end #1.  

I think his production will be roughly 70 receptions, 1,100 yards, 14.5 ypc and 7 TD's.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

I voted Anderson. He’s the most well rounded of the guys. He’s the only guys on that list that can be a number 1 IMO. Benjamin and Edleman are good complimentary players and would be great #2 options. Anderson is still getting better (even though he’s a lunatic) while Benjamin and Edelman may not be.

20 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Benjamin is solid but I don't see special.  If we don't re-sign him, he wouldn't be someone that I would throw my hands in the air and say "What is the FO doing??"

I think he's a lower end #1.  

I think his production will be roughly 70 receptions, 1,100 yards, 14.5 ypc and 7 TD's.

if he puts up those numbers he has the 9th best yards in the league and 19th best in league. that's number 1 type stuff. 

6 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Edelman is better at what he is, a complimentary WR2. Benjamin and Pryor have potential to be WR1s

16 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I voted Anderson. He’s the most well rounded of the guys. He’s the only guys on that list that can be a number 1 IMO. Benjamin and Edleman are good complimentary players and would be great #2 options. Anderson is still getting better (even though he’s a lunatic) while Benjamin and Edelman may not be.

Who has Edelman been complimentary/#2 to in NE?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Who has Edelman been complimentary/#2 to in NE?

I didn’t say that he was. I said that he’d be “a great #2 option.” He has never been the top focus of a defense in the passing game though, that’s been Gronk. The rest of New England’s receivers have been interchangeable depending on the opponent. Edelman has consistently done his work from the slot where he has been the most consistent of New England’s wide receivers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

if he puts up those numbers he has the 9th best yards in the league and 19th best in league. that's number 1 type stuff. 

It is...I still consider him a #1 WR but he's not in the upper half IMO.

When I think of #1, the upper echelon, these guys are difference makers and big time playmakers like an Antonio Brown, OBJ, Julio Jones etc....those are tier 1 guys.

I think Benjamin is a tier 2 #1.

This forum has Benjamin, for the most part, over rated.

He isn't as good as most Bills fans think he is.  

Having said that, the AFCE is not swimming with WR talent at the moment.

Let's hope he is as improved as the media guys say.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t say that he was. I said that he’d be “a great #2 option.” He has never been the top focus of a defense in the passing game though, that’s been Gronk. The rest of New England’s receivers have been interchangeable depending on the opponent. Edelman has consistently done his work from the slot where he has been the most consistent of New England’s wide receivers.

Exactly right.  Edelman has been the Patriots #1 wide receiver (I think people have a bias against slot receivers being #1 guys but New England's offense is not like most others) but he has not been their #1 passing target. He has been the complimentary to Gronk.  Want evidence of that? Here is is.... Edelman has two 1,000 yard seasons in his career.  2013 (when Gronk started 6 games) and 2016 (when Gronk again started 6 games).  

I am as big of an Edelman fan as it is possible to be while supporting the Bills - he has a little bit of nasty in him, he's reliable, he can play, he is team first... all the good stuff. But he is a 1B type and is probably on the downslope now.  

9 hours ago, Commonsense said:

I love KB but his size also works against him, smaller DBs are always going low when tackling him. The leg stays planted, boom another rehab.

wish him luck.

I don't think it's his size - it's that he runs high.  There's no waist bend when he runs or catches the ball and he exposes his body to hits.  

For rookie Josh Allen I'd take Kelvin Benjamin over all of them. His catch radius will be more important than anything the other receivers bring to the table.For rookie Josh Allen I'd take Kelvin Benjamin over all of them. His catch radius will be more important than anything the other receivers bring to the table. Although I voted for Edelman because he is probably the most dependable receiver on the field.

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Production alone says Edelman. But it’s hard to not account for the Brady factor there. 

My vote goes to a healthy and motivated KB. 

Edelman is a juice bag. He is a cheater and should be disqualified from this list. hands down Benjamin is the best WR on this list. Cmon not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I don't think it's his size - it's that he runs high.  There's no waist bend when he runs or catches the ball and he exposes his body to hits.  

He has a good 5 inches and 40 pounds on most corners, they are coming in low, same as Gronkowski. Sure, he isn’t as agile as smaller WRS and that only hurts his chances of staying healthy.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

This forum has Benjamin, for the most part, over rated.

He isn't as good as most Bills fans think he is.  

Having said that, the AFCE is not swimming with WR talent at the moment.

Let's hope he is as improved as the media guys say.

yeah, I went to vote and was like, "wow, we don't have a lot of great (if any)  WR's in the AFC East."   Some good ones, but really no pro-bowl level players---although I think a healthy Benjamin can be at that level.  

I'm not sure I need to rank them really.  When all is said and done, Edelman (at least for right now) is the only one that LOOKS like a #1.  Staying healthy for most of the season pretty much guarantees him 1,000+ yards receiving.  It's irrelevant that Gronk is with the Patriots, just like it's irrelevant that the Bills probably have the best pass catching RB in McCoy.  If Benjamin is a 1,000+ yard receiver this season, I'll just be happy that we have a quarterback that is willing to throw the ball down the field.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Um enunwa anybody?

Yeah he drops it for sure.

12 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Yes I’m sure. Because I wrote the words.

You guys may be right, I'm just trying to sort this out because if you watch videos of him (granted they are highlights) his hands do not look bad. He makes a lot of contested catches, often spears the ball out of the air, catches with his hands not his body, etc.

He did seem to have an issue with drops his rookie year (ala Zay), but at the time when asked about it, his offensive coordinator responded with this, "He'll be fine," offensive coordinator Mike Shula said of Benjamin, per The Charlotte Observer. "... I think of Cam having a receiver open and he just overthrows him. Do I get disappointed about it? No. Am I concerned about it? No. Just working on it and getting ready to play the next week."

Since his rookie year, his catch percentage has improved significantly, and he was only charged with 2 drops each in both the 2016 and 2017 seasons. In fact, PFF said he was one of the most reliable receivers in 2016.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-panthers-pick-up-wr-kelvin-benjamins-fifth-year-option

You also have to take into account (as mentioned above) QB play. Neither Cam nor Tyrod are the most accurate passers in the league. And maybe he just had a rough rookie campaign (as far as drops go, like Zay) despite his good numbers otherwise.

There is a Buffalo News article asking. "Does Kelvin Benjamin Have a Drop Issue?" from November 2, 2017. But I don't subscribe, so I can't see it. But I would be interested in what it says if anyone does have access.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Benjamin's separation numbers last year both in Carolina and Buffalo were awful they were among the worst in the whole NFL.  

KB is never going to be a speedster at his size; he's not going to blow by anyone, but that isn't his game. And I don't think you can look at last year's separation stats and make any conclusions because he injured his knee in the week 3 game against New Orleans (while in Carolina) and reaggravated it again in the snow game (with Buffalo). He was playing with a bad knee all season last year, not to mention being traded midseason and having to learn a new offense (probably only having a number of plays open to him, not the whole offense).

I think Benjamin is a lot better than some people give him credit for, but I guess we will see one way or the other this season, if he can stay healthy.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1). This is a very sad list.  This might be the worst list of any division.

2). A fresh out of college Benjamin would be the most talented receiver in the division.  However, this is KB with major injury issues.  

3). It just shows how dependent the receiver position is. Edleman might not be in the nfl if he didn’t land with the Pats. Now, he might be the “best” receiver in the division.

4) crazy to think where Sammy, Woods, Goodwin, and Hogan would rank on this list.  Man, we had some weapons.  Our Qbs would have a much better chance throwing to them.

• Sad 1