3-man QB competitions of Buffalo yore

We technically had more if you want to believe those coaches heading into training camp.

Kelvin Kolb, EJ Manuel & Jeff Tuel....Kolb took himself out of that one.

Also, I think in 2009 we had a competition between Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick & Brian Brohm lol

23 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

We technically had more if you want to believe those coaches heading into training camp.

Also, I think in 2009 we had a competition between Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick & Brian Brohm lol

...NONE whatsoever......Spent Trent was THE anointed starter period....Fitz was signed as the well traveled journeyman to back him up period.....

20 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

1. 2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor

2. 2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall

*Yes, of course we all just wanted whichever guy was best for the team.  

1st time with a rookie 1st round pick. This is by far the best way to do it.

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...NONE whatsoever......Spent Trent was THE anointed starter period....Fitz was signed as the well traveled journeyman to back him up period.....

Are you suuuuuureee?

I remember all 3 guys got to start at some point, and there being a genuine desire to "see what Brohm can do," not only on the boards, but by management.

5 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Are you suuuuuureee?

I remember all 3 guys got to start at some point, and there being a genuine desire to "see what Brohm can do," not only on the boards, but by management.

...eventually yes......and Brohm got the BROOM......

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So it was said, but it was also pretty clear that TE was the "annointed one" and the other guys had to clearly beat him out.

Instead, Fitzy looked like crap through OTA and TC.  TE clearly looked better.  Brohm as I recall looked like he was ~ on a level with Fitzy.

Then when regular season came, it was clear Trentative was a deer in the headlights, Fitz could play in the NFL, and Brohm couldn't.

That was my personal lesson not to put too much weight on how guys look in shorts, or even once the pads go on in training camp.

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Are you suuuuuureee?

They said there would be a competition, but Gailey ended up deciding very early on that Edwards would get all/most of the first team reps.  And then he was cut after 2 games.

I rooted for EJ and JP.  Ultimately they ended the same way in Buffalo.  EJ's Buffalo-career-ending INT looked a lot like the JP Buffalo-career-ending fumble six.  The look of utter defeat on both their faces was gut wrenching.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Kolb I think would have been a pretty good QB for us but he had an almost magnetic attraction to suffering severe head trauma. 

I actually think this qb battle isnt as heinous as some others in prior years. 

It looks terrible on paper yes but so far none of the qbs has stunk it up so im vaguely optimistic.

9 hours ago, JoeF said:

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost...You know who is supposed to win.  One exists only as imaginary figment.  The other was crucified and rose from the dead.

Besides, the Bills need prayers right now.

The Chroisen One had no competition.

Why is our coach so in love with Nathan (pick six) Peterman?

Is it because he is a good practice QB or some other mysterious reason? I can't figure it out so please

help me.

You better hope there is no Peterman 2.0.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:25 PM, Buffalo86 said:

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

1. 2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor

2. 2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall

*Yes, of course we all just wanted whichever guy was best for the team.  

Tyrod, Losman, Allen

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/14/2018 at 9:51 PM, NoSaint said:

Who really thinks this is a 3 man competition? It might be a stretch to call it a 2 man. Realistically it’s allen against himself.

That's a fair statement for several reasons, all of which I think are obvious and don't require elaboration on my part. That said, while Allen may be the starter in Week 1, I think McD / Daboll and Beane have already decided. IMHO, unless Allen exceeds a really high bar for what the coaches / execs are going to consider "standard" - i think they feel his long-term development is MORE important than putting him in this year, regardless of how the other two play. That is to say, if he's still showing signs of Rookie-itis, even if that puts him above Peterman and AJ, I don't think he plays. I also think that if they deem him ready to start by Week 1, then he has exceeded their expectations by a wide margin because if it's close, again, I don't think he starts until they're damn sure he's going to be the starter for the rest of his career...no benching, no games where he's in one half and out the next. Just my .02...

Edited by BigBuff423

I was an ABC in 2015 - Anyone But Cassel. Early on that made me pull for EJ because I knew nothing of Tyrod. Once it became clear he could play I wanted Tyrod. 

In 2006 I was less invested in training camps I used to switch on when the season started but broadly I still wanted to believe there was something there in Losman so probably him. 

19 hours ago, Foreigner said:

Why is our coach so in love with Nathan (pick six) Peterman?

Is it because he is a good practice QB or some other mysterious reason? I can't figure it out so please

help me.

You better hope there is no Peterman 2.0.

Probably because he didn't get rattled after throwing so many picks and had a solid showing in the snow bowl. 

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

That's a fair statement for several reasons, all of which I think are obvious and don't require elaboration on my part. That said, while Allen may be the starter in Week 1, I think McD / Daboll and Beane have already decided. IMHO, unless Allen exceeds a really high bar for what the coaches / execs are going to consider "standard" - i think they feel his long-term development is MORE important than putting him in this year, regardless of how the other two play. That is to say, if he's still showing signs of Rookie-itis, even if that puts him above Peterman and AJ, I don't think he plays. I also think that if they deem him ready to start by Week 1, then he has exceeded their expectations by a wide margin because if it's close, again, I don't think he starts until they're damn sure he's going to be the starter for the rest of his career...no benching, no games where he's in one half and out the next. Just my .02...

Generally, I’m sure the goal is to roll with him uninterrupted. 

And even if he doesnt start day 1, I’ll maintain the others really aren’t any real competition. No one in our front office is seriously considering mccarron or peterman being “the guy.” McCarron is like your spare change jar, and peterman a lottery ticket- they are real but you don’t really expect them to truly change you financial planning.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Generally, I’m sure the goal is to roll with him uninterrupted. 

And even if he doesnt start day 1, I’ll maintain the others really aren’t any real competition. No one in our front office is seriously considering mccarron or peterman being “the guy.” McCarron is like your spare change jar, and peterman a lottery ticket- they are real but you don’t really expect them to truly change you financial planning.

No, I don't think they have thoughts that either McCarron or Nate will be "the guy" beyond 2018, but I'm not so sure that's how the feel for THIS year. I think they're going to stick to their development plan for Josh and given his 5th year option, it buys them a "red shirt" year. Now, of course if Josh Allen comes in and does a whole Russell Wilson thing, then he starts. But, my larger point was that IMHO for Josh Allen to start this year, he would need to far exceed their already lofty expectations for him just to protect against damaging the newly minted future Franchise QB. 

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

No, I don't think they have thoughts that either McCarron or Nate will be "the guy" beyond 2018, but I'm not so sure that's how the feel for THIS year. I think they're going to stick to their development plan for Josh and given his 5th year option, it buys them a "red shirt" year. Now, of course if Josh Allen comes in and does a whole Russell Wilson thing, then he starts. But, my larger point was that IMHO for Josh Allen to start this year, he would need to far exceed their already lofty expectations for him just to protect against damaging the newly minted future Franchise QB

I think the notion has been debunked that playing a rookie QB early -- even if he struggles -- will necessarily "damage" him down the road.  I presume you mean his psyche, not that he would be physically injured.

I feel like Peterman and McCarron have a slight edge over Allen right now, and that's only because nothing has been done with pads on.  Labeling Allen the 3rd stringer early on was a brilliant move by McD.  Wait until the pads are on and the players see what Allen can do vs. the other two.  It will be an obvious decision, I believe, but they won't have saddled Allen with too much pressure as he learns the offense.