3-man QB competitions of Buffalo yore

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

1. 2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor

2. 2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall

*Yes, of course we all just wanted whichever guy was best for the team.  

2015 I wanted Tyrod to win. I thought he could be a playmaker being a dual threat. I was supportive up until last season. It was time to put up. It didn't happen and I've moved on. 

Tyrod out of all those guys you listed would be my starting QB though. I don't like other teams run down QBs and I don't think EJ was ever competition for Tyrod. 

QB competitions are not fun when it's the best of the worst. We have a Bengals back up QB, the 5 interception guy and a rookie. It doesn't feel like a competition to me. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Sad 1

As they say, if you have TWO QB’s you don’t have any. If you have THREE, you have to contents of a Porto-potty. But WE are the exception! We have THREE franchise QB’s!

I read that somewhere.....

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

It looks like we have the makings of another 3-man QB competition.  Who were you rooting for* when this happened before, and why? 

Who really thinks this is a 3 man competition? It might be a stretch to call it a 2 man. Realistically it’s allen against himself.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Who really thinks this is a 3 man competition? It might be a stretch to call it a 2 man. Realistically it’s allen against himself.

Well, sure....if you want to be all....realistic!   ?

1 hour ago, Lfod said:

2015 I wanted Tyrod to win. I thought he could be a playmaker being a dual threat. I was supportive up until last season. It was time to put up. It didn't happen and I've moved on. 

Tyrod out of all those guys you listed would be my starting QB though. I don't like other teams run down QBs and I don't think EJ was ever competition for Tyrod. 

QB competitions are not fun when it's the best of the worst. We have a Bengals back up QB, the 5 interception guy and a rookie. It doesn't feel like a competition to me. 

I feel/felt the exact same way about Tyrod.  Thought he had the most upside, was excited when he won the job & had some early success, but got tired of waiting for him to take that next step.  As for EJ, I absolutely saw him as competition, if only because he was our former 1st round pick, being championed by our GM.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

I think the better question would be when was the last time we had a legitimate 3 way? I was a. Tuel supporter and thought he could develop but the arrogance of coaching carousels never allowed young draftees to grow.

I say it was 2015.  EJ was our 1st round pick, Cassel was the (relatively) steady veteran, and Tyrod was the dark horse with crazy athletic ability.  

And in fairness, Tuel wasn't a draftee.

Edited by Buffalo86

In each case I rooted for the guy who was supposed to be our potential franchise QB at the time, Tyrod in 2015 and JP in 2006.  And yet again I am rooting for Allen.  I hope our franchise QB can outperform a QB who has only ever been a 2nd stringer and one who threw 5 picks in his 1st half of action.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

That 2006 competition must have been something.,.

Nall was supposedly looking pretty good, until he pulled a hamstring on the second day of camp.  That was that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo86 said:

I forgot there were actually people calling for "Nall ball".

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

In each case I rooted for the guy who was supposed to be our potential franchise QB at the time, Tyrod in 2015 and JP in 2006.  And yet again I am rooting for Allen.  I hope our franchise QB can outperform a QB who has only ever been a 2nd stringer and one who threw 5 picks in his 1st half of action.

I rooted for Nall in 2006, mainly because he was the unknown & what I thought I knew about the other two guys wasn't good.  

Near impossible to deny that Allen has the most future upside of our current three.  But, it sounds like he needs some refinement, so time on the bench seems pretty likely.  At the same time, he had a horrible O-line & WRs in college, so that may have prepared him well for this team.  If the Bills don't think they're making the playoffs with Peterman & McCarron (with the potential of those two being separated by a coin flip, imo), why not start the process now? 

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

That 2006 competition must have been something.,.

Totally forgotten and mental antibodies are rushing in to prevent any unwanted nostalgia

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

I think the better question would be when was the last time we had a legitimate 3 way? I was a. Tuel supporter and thought he could develop but the arrogance of coaching carousels never allowed young draftees to grow.

Probably belongs on Off The Wall.

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What would an illegitimate 3-way look like?

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost...You know who is supposed to win.  One exists only as imaginary figment.  The other was crucified and rose from the dead.

Besides, the Bills need prayers right now.

Edited by JoeF

18 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

2006:  JP Losman vs Kelly Holcomb vs Craig Nall-actually go back to the 2004 pre-draft hype by the pundits about Losman; "heir apparent gunslinger going to the Pack at 23"; after Donohole whiffed on Ben, he gave up a ton for Losman who was premature;ly rushed into service to save face; he was either THE BOMB.COM or BOMBED.COM with no in between; serious case of happy feet;  don't think Fairchild did the 2006 trio any favors.

2015:  EJ Manuel vs Matt Cassel vs Tyrod Taylor-going back to 2013 draft, Nix's 1st choice was Gnome until they worked him out and interviewed him; EJ was second fiddle and FSU had not produced any rising QB stars; think he was chosen based on size and arm strength only; Manuel had no confidence nor couls he adapt to the speed of the game (ie. reads, progressions, etc) at the NFL level; Roman went nuts internally at OBD when Cassel was traded and TT was his starter.

2018: McCarron vs Allen vs Peterman-would say this trio can the potential to be the best since Kelly, Reich + (1); McCarron was virtually untested with Bungles despite being a steady Eddie, cerebral game manager with 'Bama, netting TWO national championships; like the Peterman kid's progress so far in 2018; has shown promise with the mental aspect of the game at this level; the five pick anomaly in 2017 rests squarely on Dennison who rushed a 5th round greenhorn into service because he hardly put forth his "best effort" working with TT from week to week; Allen is next up; big kid, strong arm but a helluva work ethic to improve; McD has been spot on letting him work with 3rd string a/k/a  baby steps to exposure at theis level, smart developmental steps that OBD's "Directors of QB Development & Training" have notably and woefully BLOWN since Kelly; possible final pecking order may be McCarron, Allen with Peterman to PS (may not make it there) with #1 and #2 possibly changing at some point; of McBeane may keep all on the active 53 and hedge his bets that someone comes calling with a trade proposition due to injury......gonna be interesting IMO....

18 hours ago, Buffalo86 said:

Not really an open competition but in 1985 you had Vince Ferragamo, Bruce Mathison, and Frank Reich with the season showing that nobody had earned the right  to be declared the incumbent.  Should note Reich was drafted that year so no doubt he was not seriously considered for starter during camp.  Maybe somebody who attended camp then can tell me otherwise.