[Update: SIGNED!] When does Josh Allen Sign his contract

2 minutes ago, transient said:

Is this a euphemism for something... naughty?

Interesting that your mind went there. Would you like to talk about that?  Did you grow up on a farm? 

?

• Haha (+1) 1

2018 NFL Draft first-round signing tracker

The 2018 NFL Draft is in the books. Stay up to date with which first-round draftees have agreed to deals with their respective teams with our tracker below. All first-round rookie contracts are for four years.

Editor's note: This page will be updated as transactions occur.

When I look at the Spotrac estimates for the various players still unsigned which includes both QBs taken before him,  as well as those that are signed already, I might give pause if I were Allen. Not saying he will or even that he should and I know rookie contracts are slotted, but there is considerable drop off between him and the other QBs and both Chubb and Nelson signed for decent chunks more than what his estimated contract value will be. And Nelson, being a guard, was selected just one spot before and he's at $2.5m more. I might wonder about that as a rookie QB compared to a rookie guard selected just one spot ahead of me. $2.5m is nothing to sneeze at. 

12 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

I am thinking now that the OTA's and mini-camp is over, when will we read about the signing of Josh Allen.

Are the Bills considering adding any players before training camp?

We have one roster spot open, yet it doesn't mean we might cut a few guys and replace them with others. I would hope they try and add a veteran WR to compete for the #2/3 spot.

A lot of first round contracts get done during the time off after minicamps and before training camp, sometimes a couple weeks into camp. 

It used to be teams would wait it out to see what kinds of deals players that were drafted within 2-3 picks of their guy were getting before working out a contract just to see how the money works out. But now with the wage scale, the parameters are already set... but what I'm not sure on is the guaranteed money. Is that something that can still fluctuate depending on where a player was drafted? Or is the guaranteed amount already set as well?

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

A lot of first round contracts get done during the time off after minicamps and before training camp, sometimes a couple weeks into camp. 

It used to be teams would wait it out to see what kinds of deals players that were drafted within 2-3 picks of their guy were getting before working out a contract just to see how the money works out. But now with the wage scale, the parameters are already set... but what I'm not sure on is the guaranteed money. Is that something that can still fluctuate depending on where a player was drafted? Or is the guaranteed amount already set as well?

The guaranteed money is preset depending on the pick #.  Top 21 picks are fully guaranteed.

The 2 main negotiation points are when the actual guaranteed money is paid (Bosa issue) and offset clauses.

Offsets are only used when a player is released and signs with another team.  The old team may want some unused signing bonus

paid back by the new team. 

Like I said, the main point is when the player actually gets the money paid (cash in hand).

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

Does anyone know if rookies get paid at all prior to signing their contracts? If not, how would a rookie from a poor family deal with the expenses?

Good question. And what if they get injured in those early camps? Sure it's no contact but it does happen.

11 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Good question. And what if they get injured in those early camps? Sure it's no contact but it does happen.

Most players who are more than UDFAs get insurance contracts but sooner he signs, the shorter the period he needs to sign insurance for hence lower the cost.

Biggest issue is when a player has not signed but get injured when not under contract with activities not related to NFL.