2019 Cap Space- Where We Stand Today

12 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think FA will be signing solid starters and depth....I don’t see us with any big splashes either.

Probably no top 10 contracts, but 2-3 deals similar to what we saw this year. I also think they get a Benjamin deal done, so likely 3-4 deals in the $10 million cap hit range.

Edited by TheTruthHurts
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Adam727 said:

Thanks for this.  But just FYI those numbers don't count Josh Allen's salary cap (for 2018 or for 2019)  

Oh, excellent reminder, Adam- thanks.  Yeah, that will decrease our total amount by a little more than $4 million on average both this year and next year.  That's based on what last year's 7th overall pick- Mike Williams- signed for.  He signed a 4-year deal worth a total of $19,750,056 with a cap # of $3,590,919 in his rookie year and a $4,488,649 cap figure in his second season.

Of course, for a multitude of reasons our cap # is very fluid, such as the fact that we'll need to sign guys in-season this year and we'll be releasing other guys post year.  A cut candidate, if he has a middling campaign like he had in his two years in Jacksonville, in Chris Ivory, for example.  Cutting him would save $2.25 million against the 2019 cap.

5 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Probably no top 10 contracts, but 2-3 deals similar to what we saw this year. I also think they get a Benjamin deal done, so likely 3-4 deals in the $10 million cap hit range.

I surely hope we don’t resign Benjamin until after the season.  Him remaining healthy is paramount.  If his knee continues to give him problems, I’d move on.

16 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Star contract could be a bad one going forward.

Good thing about Star's deal is that only half is guaranteed and there is a potential out after the 3rd year.

So if it doesn't pay off we can get out of the contract after 3 years.  Might be a lot of money, but a smart deal in that we can get out of it.

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Or it could be a good one...

One thing is for sure, the Bills needed help on the inside, and weren't very good against the run last year. When we look back on his signing in a couple years, hopefully we don't look at his stat sheet as much as we'll look at the run defense as a whole. I don't need to see big numbers from him in the tackle and sack department to "justify" his contract. I want to see improvement against the run, and fewer tackles by the safeties. 

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

HE could be a bad one going forward.. He has a lot to prove.

Star's role is not a sexy one, eating space in the middle and freeing up linebackers. There are no stats for that metric. You just have to judge him by what happens behind him.

• Like (+1) 4

The Bills have a lot contracts that they could get rid of to open up cap space, if Shady has a really bad year they could also release him for another 6.4 million and Vald is another 2 million they could also cut. So the Bills have a lot of ability to open up capsapce. 

1.  of Released Jerry Hughes
  2. (Saved: $7,500,000)
  3. Released Charles Clay
    (Saved: $4,500,000)
  4. Released Chris Ivory
    (Saved: $2,250,000)
  5. Released Russell Bodine
    (Saved: $2,375,000)
  6. Released Patrick DiMarco
    (Saved: $1,150,000)
  7. Released Andre Holmes
    (Saved: $1,450,000)

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills have a lot contracts that they could get rid of to open up cap space, if Shady has a really bad year they could also release him for another 6.4 million and Vald is another 2 million they could also cut. So the Bills have a lot of ability to open up capsapce. 

1.  of Released Jerry Hughes
  2. (Saved: $7,500,000)
  3. Released Charles Clay
    (Saved: $4,500,000)
  4. Released Chris Ivory
    (Saved: $2,250,000)
  5. Released Russell Bodine
    (Saved: $2,375,000)
  6. Released Patrick DiMarco
    (Saved: $1,150,000)
  7. Released Andre Holmes
    (Saved: $1,450,000)

I was about to comment on this list to say something along the lines of “they have so much space, why cut more players?”...

Then I looked at the names..

Keep Shady thought if he is still cutting on a dime..

I would be surprised if Andre Holmes makes the squad this year, much less next year.  I was very unimpressed with him as a WR considering Benjamin and Mathews were both out at various times and Holmes was still not able to step in and contribute as a WR.