2019 Cap Space- Where We Stand Today

I've seen some figures thrown out with considerable variance, all the way from projecting us to have as much as $100 million of 2019 cap space to as low as "just" $50 million.  Since Wood's release has been officially processed, it's a lot easier to arrive at a more exact figure, even (literally) accounting for some fluidity to this figure, especially in the next nine months.

Remaining 2018 Cap Space (able to be rolled over, according to Spotrac):  $15,992,915

Current 2019 Cap Space (before leftover 2018 amount is rolled over):  $57,585,556

Estimated Cap 2018 to 2019 Cap Increase:  $10,000,000

2019 Cap Space:  $83,578,471

This amount will go down a few million during the course of this season, as the Bills have to make roster moves to account for injuries.  But I don't expect we'll be re-signing anyone mid-season (Kelvin Benjamin is a possible exception- but even for him I expect McBeane wants to see him stay healthy for an entire year) that will appreciably affect this figure, if at all.  So before we make any additional cuts to likely increase this amount, we should roughly have $80 million to spend, which will be more than only a handful of teams (it might be the third-highest behind the Jets and Colts).

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Not only is this good news, but I trust this FO to not spend foolishly on “big name/splash” players. I haven’t felt this positive about our situation in a long time. Not perfect, but a lot of positives. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For the record, I haven't gone through the list of 2019 FA's carefully enough to pull out everyone.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills showed interest in Buccaneers' guard Ali Marpet, if he isn't re-signed in Tampa Bay (or tagged).  Marpet happens to be from New York and went to college at Hopart. 

And we all know there's a safe bet in Le'Veon Bell hitting the market, too.  It's rarely wise to spend big on a RB's second contract, especially one with a couple of suspensions already (suspensions generally void guarantees in contracts... unless your Doug Whaley and you make that giant concession to Marcel Dareus and his agent).  But if McCoy, God forbid, showed steep regression this year that was not totally attributable to our OL I could see a 31-year old Lesean released ($6.425 million saved against the cap) and a (then) 27-year old Bell brought in on a 3-4 year deal.

I should note that I don't necessarily believe Bell is a seamless fit into what McBeane wants to do.  I could just see it being a POSSIBLE fit.  Hopefully McCoy continues to play relatively timelessly and he can play out his contract, at least.

Edited by Midwest1981
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not only is this good news, but I trust this FO to not spend foolishly on “big name/splash” players. I haven’t felt this positive about our situation in a long time. Not perfect, but a lot of positives. 

I think FA will be signing solid starters and depth....I don’t see us with any big splashes either.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

The Star contract could be a bad one going forward.

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Star contract could be a bad one going forward.

Hopefully he has the right mindset going forward. I’ll pray they know him well enough to have made the right call on this one. No promises....

40 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Think the "big" free agent signings next year will be at wr and along the offensive line.

My guess is they won't necessarily go on a spending spree next off season but instead begin to fine tune the roster as they develop drafted talent

I think the majority of the cap will go to proven offensive players with the majority of the draft to defense!  2018 is just a prelude to what should be a very exciting 19' season. 

3 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

For the record, I haven't gone through the list of 2019 FA's carefully enough to pull out everyone.  But it wouldn't surprise me if the Bills showed interest in Buccaneers' guard Ali Marpet, if he isn't re-signed in Tampa Bay (or tagged).  Marpet happens to be from New York and went to college at Hopart. 

And we all know there's a safe bet in Le'Veon Bell hitting the market, too.  It's rarely wise to spend big on a RB's second contract, especially one with a couple of suspensions already (suspensions generally void guarantees in contracts... unless your Doug Whaley and you make that giant concession to Marcel Dareus and his agent).  But if McCoy, God forbid, showed steep regression this year that was not totally attributable to our OL I could see a 31-year old Lesean released ($6.425 million saved against the cap) and a (then) 27-year old Bell brought in on a 3-4 year deal.

I should note that I don't necessarily believe Bell is a seamless fit into what McBeane wants to do.  I could just see it being a POSSIBLE fit.  Hopefully McCoy continues to play relatively timelessly and he can play out his contract, at least.

Marpet went to HOBART College in Geneva NY.  Quite the sleeper!

6 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

I've seen some figures thrown out with considerable variance, all the way from projecting us to have as much as $100 million of 2019 cap space to as low as "just" $50 million.  Since Wood's release has been officially processed, it's a lot easier to arrive at a more exact figure, even (literally) accounting for some fluidity to this figure, especially in the next nine months.

Remaining 2018 Cap Space (able to be rolled over, according to Spotrac):  $15,992,915

Current 2019 Cap Space (before leftover 2018 amount is rolled over):  $57,585,556

Estimated Cap 2018 to 2019 Cap Increase:  $10,000,000

2019 Cap Space:  $83,578,471

This amount will go down a few million during the course of this season, as the Bills have to make roster moves to account for injuries.  But I don't expect we'll be re-signing anyone mid-season (Kelvin Benjamin is a possible exception- but even for him I expect McBeane wants to see him stay healthy for an entire year) that will appreciably affect this figure, if at all.  So before we make any additional cuts to likely increase this amount, we should roughly have $80 million to spend, which will be more than only a handful of teams (it might be the third-highest behind the Jets and Colts).

Thanks for this.  But just FYI those numbers don't count Josh Allen's salary cap (for 2018 or for 2019)  

5 hours ago, msw2112 said:

We will also need help at LB.  Edmunds and Milano look to be two solid starters, but Lorax is aging and there isn't too much after that.

9 draft picks in April 2019.  More young, cheap reinforcements coming.  Rather draft another LB.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think FA will be signing solid starters and depth....I don’t see us with any big splashes either.

we signed Star who was a top prospect, I can see them signing a couple guys like this (hopefully on Oline) and then solid depth players but I agree in that we won't go for the "Super Stars" like mario.

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think the majority of the cap will go to proven offensive players with the majority of the draft to defense!  2018 is just a prelude to what should be a very exciting 19' season. 

It seems were are forever in future mood but thankfully those days are over with McBeane here, post season in the books and our franchise QB here.

• Like (+1) 1