Offensive Line - Any Chance it Holds Up?

Just now, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ya know, Soda, every time I want to feel good about Vlad I remember back to the video that I have seen where he just gets blown up.  

I would love better than him, but yes if he can barely compete or just plain hold his own I would be fine with that.

Two positions that next year's 80 million in cap space in addition to all our draft picks should remedy.   This overhaul wasn't going to be complete in 1 year.   We still need WRs/OL/LB help and I imagine we'll need TE and DE and probably RB too.  

The roster is never finished, but we're getting closer. 

• Like (+1) 1

The offensive line being a weakness may actually work in the bills favor for the first week or 2

With a new offense being installed other teams won't know what to game plan for so they will attack the glaring weakness. This should give the bills an advantage in knowing what the opposing defense is going to do and that defense wont have a clue as to how the bills will play

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cheektowaga Chad said:

The offensive line being a weakness may actually work in the bills favor for the first week or 2

With a new offense being installed other teams won't know what to game plan for so they will attack the glaring weakness. This should give the bills an advantage in knowing what the opposing defense is going to do and that defense wont have a clue as to how the bills will play

Still hoping for a training camp cut or salary cap casualty to be added in August.  

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

Two positions that next year's 80 million in cap space in addition to all our draft picks should remedy.   This overhaul wasn't going to be complete in 1 year.   We still need WRs/OL/LB help and I imagine we'll need TE and DE and probably RB too.  

The roster is never finished, but we're getting closer. 

I disagree with absolutely nothing you said!

I know we are looking at choppy waters in our near future, but man, the way this team is being built and then watching them fill some of the holes this year and having a number of options next year makes me feel more optimistic than any other time in the last 18 years. 

• Like (+1) 2

I disagree with absolutely nothing you said!

I know we are looking at choppy waters in our near future, but man, the way this team is being built and then watching them fill some of the holes this year and having a number of options next year makes me feel more optimistic than any other time in the last 18 years. 

That's one reason even if Allen doesn't pan out I want Beane and McD running the ship for the foreseeable future.  The team is being built for long term success we're not sitting around waiting for a QB to develop.    We're not swinging for the fences looking for elite level WRs or DEs who sell tickets and jerseys.    You can tell every position has a dollar amount assigned to it based on overall value to winning and they will stick to it.   That's the only way to build a team.  

And our secondary is flat out sick.   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's one reason even if Allen doesn't pan out I want Beane and McD running the ship for the foreseeable future.  The team is being built for long term success we're not sitting around waiting for a QB to develop.    We're not swinging for the fences looking for elite level WRs or DEs who sell tickets and jerseys.    You can tell every position has a dollar amount assigned to it based on overall value to winning and they will stick to it.   That's the only way to build a team.  

And our secondary is flat out sick.   

On top of every thing that you said, Soda, this is all happening in the years that Tom Brady is turning 41 and 42...I'll take that!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On top of every thing that you said, Soda, this is all happening in the years that Tom Brady is turning 41 and 42...I'll take that!

I want Kyle to sack him just a few more times to end his career.    Not career ending injuries, I just want some of his last memories of football to be of him looking up at Kyle, who T bags him as he stands up.

Im hopeful it does.....it remains to be seen but dabol IMO is an improvement over Dennison so could be......as bad as our Oline was last season i believe in the last 4-5 games they showed significant improvement!  So there's hope here....some of the repeat offenders have yet another year under belt so lets see....

• Like (+1) 1

I think they should be fine. Dawkis is solid at LT I think Miller steps it back up and I actually think Teller takes the other G position. Groy at Center and hopefully anyone but Mills at RT. I honestly think we will be just fine

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

Still hoping for a training camp cut or salary cap casualty to be added in August.  

So do I.  A veteran depth swing tackle would be nice.  I'm hoping like the rest that 1 or 2 of the young guys prove to be capable but................

If Miller and/or Groy are looking good I would like to see at least 1 get a contract before next FA season.

Bill's veteran OL under contract for next year are:

Dawkins

Bodine

Vlad

that's it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

So do I.  A veteran depth swing tackle would be nice.  I'm hoping like the rest that 1 or 2 of the young guys prove to be capable but................

If Miller and/or Groy are looking good I would like to see at least 1 get a contract before next FA season.

Bill's veteran OL under contract for next year are:

Dawkins

Bodine

Vlad

that's it.

Eesh.   We gave Vlad a multiple year deal?   Good lord why? 

8 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Eesh.   We gave Vlad a multiple year deal?   Good lord why? 

Castillo knew him for years in Baltimore.  Vlad signed a relatively cheap 3 year deal with the Bill's.

Both Vlad and Bodine's contracts run out next year.

2 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Continuity only matters with system. The Raiders are a perfect example, last years Bills also to a lesser extent. The Raiders had what was considered the best OL in football, or at least top 3. They changed the system and couldn't block anyone. 

We really won't know how good or bad they are as a unit until they play. There aren't any 1st round picks, but so on paper it looks weak, but hopefully the coaches and QB will put them in situations to succeed. 

Good point about systems, in relation to continuity, although I don't think that's where it only matters. Maybe "continuity" was the wrong word for me to use, or is too vague.

IMO, there's some value in familiarity with the players next to you, with any unit of a team (but especially on the lines). Knowing certain tendencies, and strengths and weaknesses of those players has to have some type of effect on how you play, in your approach, regardless of scheme. 

As far as how good or bad they'll be, you're right. We're all just guessing really at this point. There's so many question marks on offense this year that we cannot say anything with any certainty. But looking at things logically, it's probably safe to say or expect that there will be some noticeable growing pains in a few areas. Personally, I don't think WR Will be as big an issue as it looks to be on paper, but we'll see. Of course, their play is dependent on the QB and offensive line, and while the WR group certainly is not loaded with top talent, I think the players we have will be fine for this offense.

Offensive line always suffers injuries as it is, and last year our reserves didn't play very well as a whole. Some like Ducasse & Groy (IMO) played downright miserable, and now they're starters.

Our line already regressed substantially last year, but still managed to at least hold up enough to have a decent, not "good," run game. This year it's worse, so definitely expecting setbacks, especially when injuries take their toll.

50 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Offensive line always suffers injuries as it is, and last year our reserves didn't play very well as a whole. Some like Ducasse & Groy (IMO) played downright miserable, and now they're starters.

Our line already regressed substantially last year, but still managed to at least hold up enough to have a decent, not "good," run game. This year it's worse, so definitely expecting setbacks, especially when injuries take their toll.

Don't forget they won't have to pass pro for 6 seconds. We will be okay.

I believe the Bills aren't in as bad of a place as every one (or at least the "Football Experts") think when it comes to the O line !

Sure E Wood & Ritchie are definitely a loss but Groy did a great job when Wood went down a couple yrs back & John Miller seems to be back to being motivated plus who they picked up in the draft  & after i think we could actually be a bit better .

Especially if they put W.Teller at RT & get rid of Mills or use him as a depth player & maybe the undrafted guy from Denmark can take Vlads place at LG . And then there is Bodine too ...

I think by the time the season roles around they will have it figured out ...

Edited by T master