Offensive Line - Any Chance it Holds Up?

All I know is people here in Cincinnati (fans and media alike) said Russell Bodine was horrific all last season. 

I'm just reporting the news.

O-line is the most important part of an offensive success pattern. You may say QB, but I beg to respectfully differ (and look forward to being called an idiot by someone near our nation's capital.)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

All I know is people here in Cincinnati (fans and media alike) said Russell Bodine was horrific all last season. 

I'm just reporting the news.

O-line is the most important part of an offensive success pattern. You may say QB, but I beg to respectfully differ (and look forward to being called an idiot by someone near our nation's capital.)

Like sports fans in most cities in all major sports, if they know anything at all about that sport, they are probably wrong. ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

nah.  we'll be fine.

...plenty of newness and potential along with returnees....why couldn't one of the newbees be our next "Meatball" find only offensively?......like that McDaboll stepped up and said OL will be scheme specific to opposition defense versus versus a cast in stone scheme that Castillo may prefer to employ.....seems to emphasize players' strengths versus OL Coach preferences.....

48 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Doesn't include times when he ran.  It is remarkable and that's really the point.  There's other QB's that move around in the pocket and throw.  When you talk (before the bye weeks) that there's 31 teams where their starting QB averaged less time with ball in hand, that's a big deal.  Brady averaged the least amount of time for the season, but didn't lead the league at that kind of proportion.  He didn't lead the league in even double digit number of weeks.  Your third point is really what I'm alluding to and why we just can't say whether the offensive line is good or not good.  We do know that they run blocked pretty well, which obviously doesn't involve holding onto the ball in the backfield waiting for plays to develop.  

Not that it matters, but NexGen stats says Brady was 12th in the league, not first.   And Taylor was tied with Jared Goff, so it isn't immediately apparent that holding the ball is a bad thing.  And I wasn't talking about plays when he ran; I was talking about all the pass plays he extended with his legs.     That drags his average way up.    When everyone is averaging under three seconds, every time Taylor scrambled and took six seconds to throw really affected his average, especially because he was throwing fewer times than all the other QBs.   

What does matter is the point we agree on, which is the QB makes his offensive line better with effective decision making.   We never saw enough of that with Taylor.   I still wonder, however, whether he wasn't running in a poor system with poor coaching.   When Rex's route guru, the receivers coach, had control of the receivers in 2015, Taylor had much less trouble finding guys.   Whatever, Taylor's indecision, reluctance to throw into tight windows, whatever it was that made him hesitate, makes the offensive line look bad.   

The truth is that practically no one has really effective pass protection any more.   The days of the QB setting up in the pocket and surveying the field are gone.   Teams used to expect their QB to have 3+ seconds to throw, but those days are gone.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Other than Dawkins at LT, not sure who comprises the other four positions.  Will be interesting to see how Castillo works with Daboll to get the line squared away.  Castillo is supposed to be good...we'll see.

Castillo was and is the OL coach / Run Game Coordinator. Other than friends with McD (and he would have made a better offense assistant rather than coach) I cannot see good.

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Other than Dawkins at LT, not sure who comprises the other four positions.  Will be interesting to see how Castillo works with Daboll to get the line squared away.  Castillo is supposed to be good...we'll see.

Is he though?

10 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Is he though?

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He's really good at playing possum for 17 weeks.

I'm wondering the same thing, and am skeptical, like you guys.  I think Eric Wood or Richie Incognito made a statement a little while back about Juan Castillo.  The veteran lineman said (paraphrasing) that Castillo is very good, but he wants things and techniques done his way.  I interpreted that as he is good with younger linemen, but veteran linemen tend not to do as well with him.  I would also have to believe that as an OLine coordinator, Castillo is blocking scheme agnostic, and that the zone scheme was all Dennison (which was run in Denver for years.)

Dawkins at LT you can have confidence in, I honestly have confidence in Groy at Center and I think it is possible Miller has a rebound year at RG. But LG and RT are still a mess. Mills or Newhouse at RT isn't confidence inspiring, both are good backups but neither is a guy you want starting. LG is the weakest point as you have a 5th round rookie and a mediocre guard in Vlad. 

At best you can squint your eyes and see 3 spots on the o-line where the team has above average play at and that's with a player having a rebound season and a good backup playing well as a starter. On top of that isn't accounting for injury. I wouldn't put a project rookie like Allen behind this O-line and with a suspect receiving core. See what AJ could do with this team and let Allen chill.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe coaching trumps talent. 

I believe the exact opposite.

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

DSC03624.jpg

i saw the Swiss cheese upstream and it made me think of this..

image.thumb.png.edbb55ffd445a1e381569d30fb02c93f.png

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I believe coaching trumps talent.   I think that good schemes and good coaching can make the relative no-name offensive line the Bills have effective.  Whether they have that coaching is an open question.

However, even if they're well coached, they will struggle when they play against the the best front sevens in the league.   For example, I'm going to the game in Houston.   That may get ugly real quick. 

Thanks, 66. This is the 1st post which addresses who these cast offs, bench warmers and unknowns will actually face week to week. This isn’t Buff State. 

They’ll face Baltimore, San Diego, Minnesota, GB, Tennessee & Houston to start the season with 4 of these games in loud, hostile environments. 

Personally, I can’t see any way Dabol/Castillo can create game specific, effective blocking schemes as they’re alleged to be capable of, for each of these experienced, strong defenses, utilizing our ragtag wannabes. But I could be wrong..

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

My magic 8 ball is saying “outlook not so good”..

Hope they find another piece before the season starts..

That reminds me of this video.  Your line is at the 1:00 mark.

• Haha (+1) 1