LeSean McCoy seems to buy into Daboll's offensive scheme

Happy

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/12/buffalo-bills-lesean-mccoy-brian-dabol-new-england-patriots/

<snip>

McCoy later talked about Daboll’s offensive system, comparing it to that of New England while also stating that it took “a lot of studying” to learn the coordinator’s playbook.

“He’s had success with the Patriots, he’s had a lot of success with Alabama. We’re going to run the ball, for sure,” McCoy said. “You’ll see a lot of similarities from us and the Patriots, because that’s where he comes from. . . He’s always looking for matchups. If he can get a running back on a linebacker, we’re going to take it. If we can get [Charles] Clay on a particular linebacker, we’re going to take it. Even with Ben, he’s a big target, [Kelvin] Benjamin, we want to get him the ball.

“He’s always trying to confuse the defense and find the mismatch. Most offenses that are successful, that’s what they do. That’s what they do. We’re going to run the ball in different formations, keep guys off-balance, be on the attack, that’s more just high tempo offense. We’re going to be similar. We’ll see. I’m excited to be here, I’ll tell you that. At first, the offense was like ‘oh,’ it was crazy, it was a lot of plays. A lot of studying for a great cause and a great outcome.”

McCoy may not be done studying the new offense, as according to Daboll, his offense will “evolve” based off of his players’ strengths. While speaking to the media in May, Daboll revealed that the team’s offense will “constantly change based on what we think our players do best.”

McCoy is incredibly excited to play under Daboll. McCoy was one of the few Buffalo players who succeeded in Dennison’s offensive system, rushing for 1,138 yards and six touchdowns in 2017. Perhaps he’ll be able to improve these numbers while playing in a system that he’s truly confident in.

Hopefully this is more than just happy talk and Shady saying what is the "politically correct" thing to say.  I don't worry about Shady's production since he'll be the focus in most systems; I'm more concerned about the QB and how the offense will be played based on his skillset.  We should start to know more in two months, though at the very least, it does not appear that a system will be force fed on the players by an OC thinking his system means more than the players executing it.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/12/buffalo-bills-lesean-mccoy-brian-dabol-new-england-patriots/

<snip>

McCoy later talked about Daboll’s offensive system, comparing it to that of New England while also stating that it took “a lot of studying” to learn the coordinator’s playbook.

“He’s had success with the Patriots, he’s had a lot of success with Alabama. We’re going to run the ball, for sure,” McCoy said. “You’ll see a lot of similarities from us and the Patriots, because that’s where he comes from. . . He’s always looking for matchups. If he can get a running back on a linebacker, we’re going to take it. If we can get [Charles] Clay on a particular linebacker, we’re going to take it. Even with Ben, he’s a big target, [Kelvin] Benjamin, we want to get him the ball.

“He’s always trying to confuse the defense and find the mismatch. Most offenses that are successful, that’s what they do. That’s what they do. We’re going to run the ball in different formations, keep guys off-balance, be on the attack, that’s more just high tempo offense. We’re going to be similar. We’ll see. I’m excited to be here, I’ll tell you that. At first, the offense was like ‘oh,’ it was crazy, it was a lot of plays. A lot of studying for a great cause and a great outcome.”

McCoy may not be done studying the new offense, as according to Daboll, his offense will “evolve” based off of his players’ strengths. While speaking to the media in May, Daboll revealed that the team’s offense will “constantly change based on what we think our players do best.”

McCoy is incredibly excited to play under Daboll. McCoy was one of the few Buffalo players who succeeded in Dennison’s offensive system, rushing for 1,138 yards and six touchdowns in 2017. Perhaps he’ll be able to improve these numbers while playing in a system that he’s truly confident in.

Hopefully this is more than just happy talk and Shady saying what is the "politically correct" thing to say.  I don't worry about Shady's production since he'll be the focus in most systems; I'm more concerned about the QB and how the offense will be played based on his skillset.  We should start to know more in two months, though at the very least, it does not appear that a system will be force fed on the players by an OC thinking his system means more than the players executing it.

In my observations the big news about the OTA's and the offense is Daboll and his system.

So much effort is being put in by people talking about individuals players I think many are missing the big picture.

It's pretty apparent to me that McDermott is giving the O over to Daboll and he is in charge.

Some early reports could be taken this way.  Daboll's O (so far in OTA's) is showing all 3 QB's can execute the scheme.

The WR's are being rotated through and it is looking like a large number of them are also executing well.

The players are being asked to "understand" everyone's responsibility and many have already said it helps them understand their positions better.

Who fills in some of the open positions (including QB) will come LATER.  So far I am quite impressed with what the O is doing.

I know it's early.  I am looking forward to the second phase (Training Camp) and the third phase (Preseason).

Keep it up guys!

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, eball said:

The last thing Shady does is say what he thinks people want him to say.  The fact he is impressed with Allen and Daboll really bodes well for this season (and beyond).

McCoy seemed to like Rico this time of year too

http://buffalobills.com/news/article-1/4---Can-McCoy-reach-2000-total-yards/abc5c1fd-30b1-446c-aa59-9660d88151e9

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

LOL.  That's a Chris Brown puff piece.  Shady talks more about what makes a RB successful in general than lauding Dennison's scheme.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

He’s always trying to confuse the defense and find the mismatch. Most offenses that are successful, that’s what they do. That’s what they do. We’re going to run the ball in different formations, keep guys off-balance, be on the attack, that’s more just high tempo offense. We’re going to be similar. We’ll see. I’m excited to be here, I’ll tell you that. At first, the offense was like ‘oh,’ it was crazy, it was a lot of plays. A lot of studying for a great cause and a great outcome.”

Rex took the same approach....it didn’t end well for him....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I doubt Shady liked Rico around week 6 when he still didn't have a TD.  I would guess that this could be attributed to the zone blocking scheme that the OLine was having problems grasping, initially.  The OLine is still a big question, such as who starts in every position other than LT (should be Dawkins) and will the blocking schemes play to the strengths of the linemen?  The latter I would assume so, just based on the article even though that wasn't mentioned.

Just now, Augie said:

Rex took the same approach....it didn’t end well for him....

The only problem was Rex confused his own defense, but maybe that's what you meant :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

I imagine Daboll sat down with him very early and said "you are going to be the focal point of the offense, 100%.   Get ready for 400 touches this year and get ready to run screens that Dennison seemed alergic to."

Brian Daboll:  "we're going to run Shady until he throws up."

Just now, eball said:

Brian Daboll:  "we're going to run Shady until he throws up."

I hope he's in good shape.   And I hope Daboll can get him the ball in space.   If he's able to do that, Shady will have another great year.   Just run away from that oline.   

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I doubt Shady liked Rico around week 6 when he still didn't have a TD.  I would guess that this could be attributed to the zone blocking scheme that the OLine was having problems grasping, initially.  The OLine is still a big question, such as who starts in every position other than LT (should be Dawkins) and will the blocking schemes play to the strengths of the linemen?  The latter I would assume so, just based on the article even though that wasn't mentioned.

The only problem was Rex confused his own defense, but maybe that's what you meant :)

Yeah, that’s where he went wrong.