Sad day. Tim Graham out at Buffalo News

1 minute ago, bbb said:

Both.  But, I guess you didn't catch the part where he said we have no idea what his political leanings are.  There was the part that got me.

What?!?

I said he is not the troll, people criticize him personally with tweets and then he jumps all over them, usually going too far. And then you gave an example of people criticizing him personally and he jumped all over them, going too far. The fact he gave his political feelings about a party convention is a generic thing. It's something we all do. It's not personal. It's not trolling.

If I say I can't stand the Democratic Convention and those politicians are all liars, and you come back and tweet to me, kelly the dog, you are such a whiny loser, who is the troll?

6 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I said he is not the troll, people criticize him personally with tweets and then he jumps all over them, usually going too far. And then you gave an example of people criticizing him personally and he jumped all over them, going too far. The fact he gave his political feelings about a party convention is a generic thing. It's something we all do. It's not personal. It's not trolling.

If I say I can't stand the Democratic Convention and those politicians are all liars, and you come back and tweet to me, kelly the dog, you are such a whiny loser, who is the troll?

BS.  He tweeted out something that's going to piss a lot of people off and then couldn't take the heat, and started lashing out.

And, to answer your second paragraph, you are the troll.  I don't even remember people calling him things like whiny loser.  I remember people asking for more explanation, and then he melted down. 

And, it was not the norm anyway in 2012 like it is today - to post crap about one side of the political spectrum.

2 minutes ago, bbb said:

BS.  He tweeted out something that's going to piss a lot of people off and then couldn't take the heat, and started lashing out.

And, to answer your second paragraph, you are the troll.  I don't even remember people calling him things like whiny loser.  I remember people asking for more explanation, and then he melted down. 

And, it was not the norm anyway in 2012 like it is today - to post crap about one side of the political spectrum.

Right. In your example, you said "he got some flack." Yeah, I'm sure it was your next remembrance of it, "people asking for more explanation" - and then "he melted down."

That sounds like something that happened. Jesus. Look, I know he melts down. I never said that was okay. I have said a dozen times he has thin skin. But please don't say he said something about a political convention, "people asking for more explanation," and then "he melted down." That's embarrassing.

14 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

This right here. Had the pleasure of taking a sportswriting class taught by him (check out the podcast), and he was one of the best teachers I ever had. Master of writing. 

Yup, he's a terrific writer. The awards he's won aren't by mistake.

Wonder what the story is.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

His twitter “persona” was a plus for me. He gave trolls on twitter exactly what they deserved - they don’t deserve to be reasoned with he was crass sure and shut them down best he could. Made me want to read his actual work even more.

Yup. He was extremely snarky but really smart about it. Crass on SNS? Yeah, at times. Fair enough.

I can see people being irritated by it but that's the way SNS tends to go. I'm with you, though. I rarely spend time on twitter for any reason but on the very unusual sporadic times I checked in he generally made me laugh and had a good point or two to consider, I thought.

Good luck to Tim. I have been a long-time BN Blitz subscriber. I'll stick with them for now, but I've never doubted the worth of their coverage and now I'll have my eye on how well they're doing.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 hours ago, folz said:

"Vain" is correct. "You're so vain"

"Vane" is the correct spelling for a "weathervane"

"Vein" is used for the vessels that carry the blood around our bodies, or a mineral deposit in a rock (like a vein of gold)

The use of vein that means arrogant is taken from the use that is a mineral deposit, particularly gold.  You're so vein was originally a joke about Paul Hornung who called himself the Golden Boy and opponents did not like that.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No it's not. It's easy. Do you watch a movie and consider an actor's political views as to whether you like the performance or not? 

Is that a rhetorical question? I haven't watched a Sean Penn movie since the 80s.

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Give me examples of when he just started it and went after someone. I saw dozens and dozens of times when someone would tweet to him or respond to him, and then and only then did he go off on them. Personally, I found it funny. But I am snarky myself and I understand why people don't always like it or get it. But he was not the troll. He responded to trolls. One can argue he went too far or had thin skin. He never started it as far as I have seen or know.

I had really good seats for the NCAAs back in 2014 in Buffalo.  Lo and behold, TG was 10 feet in front of me on press row.  I fired off a what I thought was a real solid insult to him (it wasn't) and he laid into me pretty good.  I learned a valuable lesson that day...Don't f**k with Twitter.  

20 minutes ago, stony said:

I had really good seats for the NCAAs back in 2014 in Buffalo.  Lo and behold, TG was 10 feet in front of me on press row.  I fired off a what I thought was a real solid insult to him (it wasn't) and he laid into me pretty good.  I learned a valuable lesson that day...Don't f**k with Twitter.  

He’s a person. Be nice. 

1 hour ago, ALF said:

What a shock for such a major turn over. The printed media is getting outdated by online . It's like what outsourcing did to manufacturing jobs.

Except for readers conflating clickbait with quality. Make any topic into a “Top 5” list and it would get more views than Woodward and Bernstein breaking Watergate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Why is it that sports writers' opinions are vilified, yet the opinions of TBD posters are glorified?

Because deep down inside, so many want to be where Tim Graham was: paid to talk and write sports and most cannot admit the jealousy.

Am I jealous of a talk show host or a really good sportswriter for the job they get to do?

You are damn right I am!

19 hours ago, Keukasmallies said:

Why is it that sports writers' opinions are vilified, yet the opinions of TBD posters are glorified?

With the exception of self glorification, I’ve not seen many express a lot of awe for other’s opinions here. We are mostly just shouting into the penguin hoard. 

20 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No it's not. It's easy. Do you watch a movie and consider an actor's political views as to whether you like the performance or not? 

You would think so, but there are people on the right who won't watch a Penn, Deniro, or Streep movie just as there are those on the left who won't watch a James Woods, Dennis Miller, or Mel Gibson movie STRICTLY because of their political views. Short sighted and stupid? Yes. But people conflate actors and their roles all the time. Sad but true. 

Great writer. Who's left at TBN now, Skurski? I wouldn't be surprised that the only reason Skurski hasn't moved on is because his wife has the morning anchor gig over on Channel 2.

Tim was another writer I reached out to when I was gathering info/feedback about starting a Bills-related blog. He responded and said he'd be more than happy to share some advice. I never got back to him because I bailed on the blog idea, but it was nice of him to take a minute to reply to me. And I've heard a lot of great things about the classes he taught. Talented guy. 

His Twitter behavior is almost all tongue-in-cheek. It was a little irritating at times as he seemed to engage with the trolls and lame-asses more than talking with any fans who had good questions/points. But whatever. I'm sure he'll land somewhere decent. 

I know guys like Sully and Bucky are more old-school so I wouldn't be surprised if they found another paper to write for. Tim, though, I think he probably follows after Tyler Dunne and ends up with an online outlet. That's just the way things are going.

Whoever TBN has in the pipeline to replace these guys are gonna get eaten alive by some of these fans lol.