Sad day. Tim Graham out at Buffalo News

7 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

this is what we all wanted, right?

No local sports reporting?

Oh they are doing local sports reporting!!!  Staff writers with articles about HS tennis and track.  The paper itself has fallen on hard times.  They don't even have a TV TOPICS section in the Sunday paper.  If you want one you have to pick it up at TOPS market - with their adds in it.  TOPS is in bankruptcy right now - - - quite the relationship.

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

he has no obsession with you, just your knucklehead takes...as they are so repetitive and unoriginal. 

But wait there's this thing many of us do when we find someone's take repetitive and unoriginal...wait, let me think, it'll come to me....

I know!   we walk away and respond to something interesting.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But wait there's this thing many of us do when we find someone's take repetitive and unoriginal...wait, let me think, it'll come to me....

CMON HBF..just like I think JWs take or Tim Grahams take, or  even my takes ( although they are all perfect) are in a public forum and fair game to pick apart and criticize, I think PTR's posts are fair game to criticize

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Why?   The BN is still a top-50 newspaper in a city fortunate enough to have an NFL team to cover    Many talented, younger folks at smaller publications will be lining up to fill those slots.   Or in the case of Vic and TG prior to their act II stints, guys from larger markets / outlets looking to stay in the game...

I hope so.

It was only one/two years ago the BN was hiring Tyler Dunne and Kim Martin.  Those were some serious talents.  

Aside from the obvious fiscal concerns, I believe there's been some rumblings over the direction the new editor has taken...more concerned with the bottom line than the creative aspect.  But hell, as you say, I'm all for bringing in young blood.  

14 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I heard jw actually writes his responses to Promo's posts before PTR even writes those exact posts.

It wouldn't be so difficult. His posts can be divided primarily into 2 categories:

1) Attacks against Bills Fans.

2) Attacks against every sportswriter who doesn't write lengthy pieces on how great the Bills are from top to bottom.

Count me as one who likes Bills Fans more than I like the team, and with good reason. I have conversed and met in person with good, smart, really nice people like yourself and so many others. During these times, the team wasn't very good (to be kind). I will never give up hope for a championship but this is less promising that the good times to be had talking to and being around Bills Fans.

And as far as the sportswriters.....again, try writing about a team that not only sucks most of the time, but often plays a boring style of football and screws up almost every draft. That would seem to be a whole lot harder than covering the Pats.

I hope that THIS draft was the one we were waiting for. It looks good imo.

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We can do that?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is where we are in the Post-Truth Era.  The internet has democratized knowledge and, at the same time, made it very difficult for print media to turn a profit.  Writers are no longer sources of information like they used to be, and mainstream media as an institution has been under attack by lunatics on the fringes who think they know as much (if not more) than experts, intellectuals and reporters because, well, they read stuff online, and also by the supreme lunatic who sits at 1600 Penn.  Knowledge itself is under siege - there are no pure "facts" anymore.  Mix all that together with the anonymous Internet tough guys on a sports team message board, and you get a thread like this.

I agree with some of this, but notably absent from your analysis of the death of pure facts is the role played by "reporters" who no longer report, but instead actively advocate.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

he has no obsession with you, just your knucklehead takes...as they are so repetitive and unoriginal. 

33 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

this is good. and true

jw

I met him once during his short time as a non-sports reporter, he came into my store looking for a scoop on some things that were happening nearby, etc...

He was OK but he seemed to talk to me in a "I'm smarter than you so I'll talk down to you" way...nothing he said just more of how he said it and his mannerisms...

Found it funny because there is a very small chance he is, in fact, smarter than me.

5 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

It kinda sucks that the local paper is getting rid of one of the best writers in the industry, no?

No.

It is clear that Tim left the news by choice.