Sad day. Tim Graham out at Buffalo News

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Why?   The BN is still a top-50 newspaper in a city fortunate enough to have an NFL team to cover    Many talented, younger folks at smaller publications will be lining up to fill those slots.   Or in the case of Vic and TG prior to their act II stints, guys from larger markets / outlets looking to stay in the game...

The trend is more syndicated content.

Edited by Buftex

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, and it’s not easy to write - period.  Three quarters of the posters on this forum can’t write a complete, grammatically correct sentence, let alone string a page of sentences together into a coherent point.  The “anyone can be a sportswriter” takes KILL me.  Half of the daily thread titles here sound like they were written by a third grader or a maybe a cat sitting on a keyboard.

Quality writing is soon to become an extinct art.  Or maybe a dead letter...

Disagree. I think there are plenty of good sportswriters who would love to cover 2 pro sports teams and a bunch of D1 schools.  Also, instead of whining about how difficult their job is, they would embrace the opportunity.

this reminds me of people who thought the Bills could never attract a good head coach.  And a good football coach is a lot harder to find that a good writer.  NYC/ LA are filled with them. 

23 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, and it’s not easy to write - period.  Three quarters of the posters on this forum can’t write a complete, grammatically correct sentence, let alone string a page of sentences together into a coherent point.  The “anyone can be a sportswriter” takes KILL me.  Half of the daily thread titles here sound like they were written by a third grader or a maybe a cat sitting on a keyboard.

Quality writing is soon to become an extinct art.  Or maybe a dead letter...

Little harsh there, as far as TSW is concerned.  And the cats sitting on keyboards with whom I'm acquainted.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Timmah was overall pretty good at his job. He really did put out some great features over the years. 

That being said, I won’t miss him because I don’t really read a ton of the snooze anymore and I think he’s a douche because of his antics. I’ve had a handful of twitter “exchanges” with him over the years and he’s the epitome of a keyboard bully / troll. He must not have much of a life to spend the amount of time on Twitter he does. Not surprising. 

This is a serious question:

1. If the national columnists are all horrible journalists and “know-nothings”; and 

2. The local columnits are all horrible journalists and “know-nothings”;

who is actually considered to be a good sports journalists? I never hear anything good about anyone around here; everyone is an idiot apparently. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah.   Awful takes and false narratives.   As I said it was a given that this thread would bring out the fringe like Promo and LA.      Could've been moderated better.   One star out of five for him from me.   I think he can guess which star.    If we want as much good and entertaining Bills related content here as possible we need an understanding that you don't as a moderator knowingly allow people to make nonsense for key info and perspective contributors like JW to defend themselves(or their colleague's) against.    It's not about kissing JW's backside it's about not being twitter.   Every thread?   No but this was clearly going to be a hate fueled thread.   If it's allowed.......as it was.......then the gloves come off.

Very unfortunate to see this happening to TBN.   Might not make much of an impact on the bottom line but Graham is a huge loss in terms of quality of writing.

Maybe I am slow..can you explain this in English?  Are you saying that no content created by an established writer should not be criticized or picked apart? Writers for the BN, AP etc are in the public eye..just like athletes. Why should they not have to defend their public takes?

I am just completely lost as to what you want and mean by this post..look forward to a clarifying post

Edited by plenzmd1

1 minute ago, bobobonators said:

This is a serious question:

1. If the national columnists are all horrible journalists and “know-nothings”; and 

2. The local columnits are all horrible journalists and “know-nothings”;

who is actually considered to be a good sports journalists? I never hear anything good about anyone around here; everyone is an idiot apparently. ??‍♂️

JW, cover1, yardsperpass, chris Trapasso, joe B,  Jay Skurski to name a few 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Whatever I write it must really get under your skin considering you only come after me when I'm not the only one speaking poorly of your friends.  It's also a challenge you're less likely to be shown up on (like the BN Blitz subscription challenge you laid down....crickets) considering I live 500 miles from Buffalo and probably have as much chance of being hired by the Buffalo News as you have joining Fox News. (You probably also know that the BN is limited in using freelancers by their union.)

But I do think I can write a pretty good story. Maybe I'll take up your challenge.

you’re real good at putting down people who aren’t members of this board with your real swell criticisms.

when confronted on them, you’re M.O. is to wilt.

i’d say i was disappointed in this response, but that would suggest i was expecting something of substance.

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

this reminds me of people who thought the Bills could never attract a good head coach.  

Seriously CB? How long did it take;  and, are you 100% sure that we have one now?  I mean our guy can imitate Coach Saban with his "process," but imo he has a lot to prove.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Very unfortunate to see this happening to TBN.   Might not make much of an impact on the bottom line but Graham is a huge loss in terms of quality of writing.

I agree, Graham is a good writer and I enjoyed his features and will miss them.  Hopefully he is leaving for a good opportunity.

As for TBN, I feel it needed new blood and hopefully it will get some.  Ty Dunne was (IMO) a big loss when he moved on.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

you’re real good at putting down people who aren’t members of this board with your real swell criticisms.

when confronted on them, you’re M.O. is to wilt.

i’d say i was disappointed in this response, but that would suggest i was expecting something of substance.

jw

I find your obsession with me curious.

2 minutes ago, Keukasmallies said:

When their posts are lauded by their running buddies....

" Why is it that sports writers' opinions are vilified, yet the opinions of TBD posters are glorified?

OK, so this is a message board.  People post their takes, other people either 1) agree 2) disagree.  Same goes for sports writers - people link their stuff and either agree or disagree. 

So if someone agrees and says so, that's now "glorification"?  For writers we read a lot, opinions pro and con do build up.

I think you're creating an ecosystem which doesn't exist (vilification, glorification, 'running buddies')

• Like (+1) 1