Sad day. Tim Graham out at Buffalo News

Again, let's rewind the video...

Vogl, Graham and Sullivan for sure weren't laid off. Two left voluntarily and somewhere it was reported Jerry lost his column but was asked to perform in a different capacity. Not sure about Bucky.

Regardless, they will be hiring to replace those spots. I have heard anywhere from 3-6 new people will be added. If true, I hope they go slow and add quality over quantity. 

• Like (+1) 2

I don’t follow the WNY writers, but I feel for anyone with obligations and families losing their job. Life is hard sometimes. I wish all these folks well as they move on, and I hope we get some great writers to help us follow the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No it's not. It's easy. Do you watch a movie and consider an actor's political views as to whether you like the performance or not? 

Increasingly I can't separate the two anymore. As for me, I'm not sorry to see Graham go. His stuff is always 50/50 in my book, good and bad. If any of us had that track record at our jobs we be out on the street as well.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'll ask again, ... Do you consider an actor's politics when he or she are performing in a movie or TV show? .... 

Ask the Once fans of Robert Deniro. Succinctly, yes. 

I enjoyed many of his articles and he articulates well when I’ve seen him in interviews. But I quit being a fan of his from his childish, petty behavior here. It eventually led to Lori leaving the board, but he deserved the crap he received here for his posts. Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ask the Once fans of Robert Deniro. Succinctly, yes. 

I enjoyed many of his articles and he articulates well when I’ve seen him in interviews. But I quit being a fan of his from his childish, petty behavior here. It eventually led to Lori leaving the board, but he deserved the crap he received here for his posts. Jmo.

Very similar to how he is on Twitter

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

You shouldn't have to.

I am one who personally absolutely hates when actors or celebrities spout off their politics like, say, DeNiro did. Especially at awards ceremonies. And I'm a liberal pinko fag who works in Hollywood. But it seems ridiculous for people to bring that into things, ESPECIALLY in movies or TV when an actor is playing the part of someone that is NOT HIM.

I'm also an old white dude and happen to like Bruce Springsteen, but I don't like him any more because I agree with some of his politics. I don't agree with his religion which he talks about all the time and which is infused in more of his music than politics but i don't like him any LESS because of his religion. I even like a few Kid Rock songs but I don't like him any more or any less because of his politics. I love Clint Eastwood and pretty much everything he does but his crappy politics (IMO) don't enter the equation in any acting or directing that he does. I find it ludicrous.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

There are a lot of bad takes in this thread. It was clear by timing of the announcement, and then further confirmed by Tim, this was not a part of the original cost cutting measures.  If he was fired or nudged out it was because of something or multiple things that happened after the restructuring.

When I heard the news it was clear to me that he had been very upset that certain writers who were let go, the reasoning behind them being let go,  and with the recent dustup with Vic and the deleting of that tweet, it’s clear there was some acrimony behind the scenes. He never struck me as a fall in line to kind of guy

Yeah.   Awful takes and false narratives.   As I said it was a given that this thread would bring out the fringe like Promo and LA.      Could've been moderated better.   One star out of five for him from me.   I think he can guess which star.    If we want as much good and entertaining Bills related content here as possible we need an understanding that you don't as a moderator knowingly allow people to make nonsense for key info and perspective contributors like JW to defend themselves(or their colleague's) against.    It's not about kissing JW's backside it's about not being twitter.   Every thread?   No but this was clearly going to be a hate fueled thread.   If it's allowed.......as it was.......then the gloves come off.

Very unfortunate to see this happening to TBN.   Might not make much of an impact on the bottom line but Graham is a huge loss in terms of quality of writing.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, stony said:

I don't, but there's some new realities that didn't exist 12 months ago that make me think it won't be an easy re-tool.  

Why?   The BN is still a top-50 newspaper in a city fortunate enough to have an NFL team to cover    Many talented, younger folks at smaller publications will be lining up to fill those slots.   Or in the case of Vic and TG prior to their act II stints, guys from larger markets / outlets looking to stay in the game...

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917395/article/josh-allen-why-drafts-most-intriguing-qb-prospect-might-also-be-the-best

https://www.si.com/vault/2017/05/09/no-one-no-1

I dunno, I googled "feature story on josh allen" and read the first two long features and neither of them mentioned it before I stopped looking.

No, no......in retrospect, everybody knows about the smelt. 

I'm told "smelt night" really packed the house in the negro leagues.

10 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I am one who personally absolutely hates when actors or celebrities spout off their politics like, say, DeNiro did. Especially at awards ceremonies. And I'm a liberal pinko fag who works in Hollywood. But it seems ridiculous for people to bring that into things, ESPECIALLY in movies or TV when an actor is playing the part of someone that is NOT HIM.

I'm also an old white dude and happen to like Bruce Springsteen, but I don't like him any more because I agree with some of his politics. I don't agree with his religion which he talks about all the time and which is infused in more of his music than politics but i don't like him any LESS because of his religion. I even like a few Kid Rock songs but I don't like him any more or any less because of his politics. I love Clint Eastwood and pretty much everything he does but his crappy politics (IMO) don't enter the equation in any acting or directing that he does. I find it ludicrous.

When was the last time you heard the Dixie Chicks on the radio? It happens, you might rail against it, but it happens. People make choices because of the public pronouncements of actors, singers, writers etc.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No, no......in retrospect, everybody knows about the smelt. 

I'm told "smelt night" really packed the house in the negro leagues.

Well, it is very true that a lot of people have smelt up this thread pretty bad with their rancid takes.

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

When was the last time you heard the Dixie Chicks on the radio? It happens, you might rail against it, but it happens. People make choices because of the public pronouncements of actors, singers, writers etc.

A lot of **** happens. So what? Just because idiots do it on both sides doesn't make it sensical, or right, or how one should act or a illogical lunacy that one should also do. If anything, you should tell your friends it's stupid and to cut it out. I don't watch The Ten Commandments and say I hate that movie because Charlton Heston is in it for crissakes.

I say I hate that movie because Charlton Heston is a one note wooden actor!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rico said:

Thanks TG for all the great work, especially in exposing Ralph’s trash for what they were. Happy trails!

I agree.

Trust me, it isn't easy to write about a team that sucks for the better part of 20 years. Eventually, you are going to have to say some not nice things and mortally wound people like Promo.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree.

Trust me, it isn't easy to write about a team that sucks for the better part of 20 years. Eventually, you are going to have to say some not nice things and mortally wound people like Promo.

Yes, and it’s not easy to write - period.  Three quarters of the posters on this forum can’t write a complete, grammatically correct sentence, let alone string a page of sentences together into a coherent point.  The “anyone can be a sportswriter” takes KILL me.  Half of the daily thread titles here sound like they were written by a third grader or a maybe a cat sitting on a keyboard.

Quality writing is soon to become an extinct art.  Or maybe a dead letter...