World Cup 2018 Thread

Go Italy!!!

Im trying to get pumped for the tournament but without Italy it’s gonna be tough.

As long as Germany, Spain, Portugal and France don’t win, I’ll be ok.

I think I’ll be secretly cheering for Argentina.

9 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Oh crap, you're right!  My mind has turned to mush.

Iceland played surprisingly well in the 2014 qualifying for the WC, before making the last 2 big tournies

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Heard this on GR this morning..pretty cool/funny for us soccer neophytes with no rooting interest ...it is a short quiz to see who SHOULD be your team based on your sporting preferences.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/world-cup-quiz/

Mine came out Peru!!!!

Go Argentina according to my results. Maybe i'll throw some $ on them while im hot. I cashed my Belmont tickets and didnt realize the payout for the trifecta was $222 on a one dollar bet instead or $2. Extra 222 in the slush fund. 

Edited by RaoulDuke79

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Heard this on GR this morning..pretty cool/funny for us soccer neophytes with no rooting interest ...it is a short quiz to see who SHOULD be your team based on your sporting preferences.

Mine came out Peru!!!!

I got Costa Rica.

Mr CGF got Sweden.

This should be fun.?

Edited by CowgirlsFan

Just finished watching Russia vs. Saudi Arabia.

Holy crap both teams are terrible, but Saudi Arabia must be the worst team in the tournament, and by a lot.

Looking forward to Portugal/Spain tomorrow.  It has to be better than the tournament opener.

• Like (+1) 1

The first game last night was a shocker. Saudi were abysmal.

Russia were competence enough to take advantage. 

There will be plenty of games like that when the World Cup finals opens up to 48 teams. 

Roll on today's games which should be more of a contest. Looking forward to seeing how Uruguay start and then this evening for Spain v Portugal. 

Iran & Morocco should both be better than Saudi Arabia.

19 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Mine came out Peru!!!!

I got Sveden, jaaaa.

If not the USA, I usually root for the Dutch and neither are in it, so....

27 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

Anyone going to try to go to a WC game in 2026?  I am thinking tickets are going to be hard to come by.  And expensive.

Yes.  I'm in Atlanta and I suspect that some games will be here.  My daughter will be 15 in 2026, so I hope to take her. I won't mind spending some money on that experience.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I thought about this too

you never know with the World Cup.... that's one of the beauties and frustrations of it

dogging it and then having to panic is a time-honoured tradition for Italy and Spain and the Dutch

Germany has never dogged it

Portugal is a second-tier power and may want to prove something

whatever your heart wishes for, you'll get the opposite efforts... that's my rule of thumb

the Argentina/Iceland/Croatia 3-some will have to go full-out this weekend, they can't dog it if they want to move on

when Domi and Probert are going to face each other and they've brayed threats to kill each other 50 times, and you tune in just for that....

they won't even look at each other on the ice that game.