World Cup 2018 Thread

That was a nervy game. I’m happy for England.  England was by far the better team for 80 minutes and then ran out of steam a bit.

Colombia played an ugly game in stretches with a lot of diving and begging and some dirty ****.  But they surged in extra time and got that equalizer.  Good, tense, physical game.

Harry Kane is world class.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

How cool was Eric Dier on England's 5th kick?   Talk about pressure...

And a hell of a save on the 4th PK by their goalie, who looked terrified at the start of the shootout.

Colombia was playing some serious thugball.  I never saw a game with that many yellow cards.

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

And a hell of a save on the 4th PK by their goalie, who looked terrified at the start of the shootout.

Colombia was playing some serious thugball.  I never saw a game with that many yellow cards.

they have to stop the 15 minute temper tantrums when a penalty kick is granted

5 hours ago, KD in CA said:

They really could've ended the game with 7-8 men, just from dissent alone. Add in the headbutt, the scuffing of the penalty spot, the diving; it was a shitshow to watch. More disappointing was the fact that when they got the ball down and stopped with the MMA tactics, they swept us off the pitch in extra time.

We managed to win a game that ordinarily we'd have lost. We did it while not playing that well either. Sweden might look to stifle as well, we might have another 120 minutes on Saturday.

14 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

They really could've ended the game with 7-8 men, just from dissent alone. Add in the headbutt, the scuffing of the penalty spot, the diving; it was a shitshow to watch. More disappointing was the fact that when they got the ball down and stopped with the MMA tactics, they swept us off the pitch in extra time.

We managed to win a game that ordinarily we'd have lost. We did it while not playing that well either. Sweden might look to stifle as well, we might have another 120 minutes on Saturday.

Sweden is brilliant at stifling and counterattack.

took out Holland and Italy in qualifying rather easily.

England ran out of gas at about the 80 minute mark, it will be interesting to see if they can rebound for the next game. Sweden didn’t look overly impressive to me so I’d say it’s about even. Sweden is +375 if they win? How does that make any sense? 

56 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

England ran out of gas at about the 80 minute mark, it will be interesting to see if they can rebound for the next game. Sweden didn’t look overly impressive to me so I’d say it’s about even. Sweden is +375 if they win? How does that make any sense? 

England always melts in the high heat for some reason.....

Sweden will be happy to get to penalty kicks from the first minute, they will try to score only on counter and then back the bus in

After defeat, Japan's World Cup team leaves behind a spotlessly clean locker room and a 'thank you' note

(CNN)Even after they were booted out of the World Cup, the Japanese national football team gave us a lesson in grace.

Following their heartbreaking loss to Belgium on Monday, the players left behind a note that said "спасибо" (Russian for "thank you") in their locker room.

Oh, and they cleaned it up

The good sportsmanship is another example of how Japan -- players and fans -- have earned the admiration of everyone at the games in Russia.

Where fans of other teams hit the news for doing things like giving Nazi salutes, Japan's revelers made headlines in late June for sticking around after a victory to clean up the stadium.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/football/japan-belgium-russia-thank-you-locker-room-trnd/index.html

wow, what a great example 

15 minutes ago, ALF said:

After defeat, Japan's World Cup team leaves behind a spotlessly clean locker room and a 'thank you' note

(CNN)Even after they were booted out of the World Cup, the Japanese national football team gave us a lesson in grace.

Following their heartbreaking loss to Belgium on Monday, the players left behind a note that said "спасибо" (Russian for "thank you") in their locker room.

Oh, and they cleaned it up

The good sportsmanship is another example of how Japan -- players and fans -- have earned the admiration of everyone at the games in Russia.

Where fans of other teams hit the news for doing things like giving Nazi salutes, Japan's revelers made headlines in late June for sticking around after a victory to clean up the stadium.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/03/football/japan-belgium-russia-thank-you-locker-room-trnd/index.html

wow, what a great example 

it's an interesting way of life, I wouldn't want to be involuntarily held under it

i've heard a few stories of US criminals who served time in Tokyo saying they'd sooner go to San Quentin for 10 years before another month in a Japanese prison

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

i've heard a few stories of US criminals who served time in Tokyo saying they'd sooner go to San Quentin for 10 years before another month in a Japanese prison

Sounds like Japan has an effective deterrent 

55 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Great games scheduled for tomorrow (7/6):

Uruguay vs. France at 10 am ET

Brazil vs. Belgium at 2 pm ET

The on-paper strength is definitely that side of the bracket.

But Portugal rode the weak side to their Euro 2016 title.

Looking forward to tomorrow's games!

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, Cugalabanza said:

That was a nervy game. I’m happy for England.  England was by far the better team for 80 minutes and then ran out of steam a bit.

Colombia played an ugly game in stretches with a lot of diving and begging and some dirty ****.  But they surged in extra time and got that equalizer.  Good, tense, physical game.

Harry Kane is world class.

Agreed.

As an aside, has any player increased their value this World Cup more than Yerry Mina?

Kane may play this into a huge deal in Europe, and like 95% of UK stars TOTALLY BOMB with Real/Juve/Bayern....

Luther Blissett was such a disaster going from Watford to Milan that for years after his leaving his last name had the slang equivalent of "a Lewinksi" for the fan base.

Maybe it still does?

57 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Agreed.

As an aside, has any player increased their value this World Cup more than Yerry Mina?

He's been very nice.  Barca bought him super cheap. 

16 hours ago, row_33 said:

Kane may play this into a huge deal in Europe, and like 95% of UK stars TOTALLY BOMB with Real/Juve/Bayern....

Luther Blissett was such a disaster going from Watford to Milan that for years after his leaving his last name had the slang equivalent of "a Lewinksi" for the fan base.

Maybe it still does?

Ah, Luther Missit...

Blissett was a complete failure, so bad that he has skewed how people see English players on the continent. But plenty of English (and other British players) have fared well in Europe. Kevin Keegan was twice European player of the year in Hamburg, Chris Waddle is considered one of the best foreign players to have played in France, Beckham was loved by Real fans as he was one of the Galacticos who put in the effort that allowed the others to strut their stuff, Lineker got the goals in Spain, David Platt had a successful career in Italy. There are others who also did well overseas (or, at the minimum, did not bomb like Blissett).

It goes both ways as well. Plenty of foreign players have flopped playing in the top English division (and others have been the best players in the league). The English premiership is of such a high standard (and the players well paid) that comparatively few English players need to go to Europe to ply their trade.

English football is going through an uptick at the moment, with a bunch of really talented young players starting to come through (playing for the junior England teams) and the old guard (who under performed at the big tournaments) being dropped from England. Barring injuries there should be a bunch of new faces pushing their way into the limelight in the next two to six years.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Commonsense said:

England did go into defensive mode for the last 15 minutes or so in the second half as Columbia tried to actually win a game of football rather than try to win the Royal Rumble or an Emmy.

The equaliser hurt England and Columbia looked good (possibly their most dominant period of the game) for the first period of extra time, but in the second period England retook control again and could (should) have won the game before penalties, had a couple of good openings and one clear attempt that should have been put away. Columbia looked like it was they who were holding on right at the end.

another Luther B memorializer :D

you are a bit kind for some examples presented as fulfilling promises, but appreciated fully....  Ian Rush, Gazza, Denis Law are my top busts.  

Watched and read the whole Gazza fiasco daily as each outrage erupted, learned how to hear and read Italian through sports lingo, sadly Gianni Brera died just at the start of this fun.

joe Jordan did what he could, it was awesome seeing him get into it on the sidelines in a Milan game as a coach with Spurs a few years ago

the best historic UK move to Italy was John Charles, a bit before my time, quite the gentleman and overall talent from what I have read and watched

Edited by row_33