World Cup 2018 Thread

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

So Spain just fired their Manager today on the eve of the World Cup.

Didn't see that coming

Why is accepting the Madrid job a fireable offence for this trny? Is this a "Michigan Man will lead Michigan " deal? I mean Spain does not compete against Madrid..any one with better soccer would welcome your explanation!

8 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I am going with Germany as well

Germany always takes it serious, they don't shrug and go home weakly (like every other country has)

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Why is accepting the Madrid job a fireable offence for this trny? Is this a "Michigan Man will lead Michigan " deal? I mean Spain does not compete against Madrid..any one with better soccer would welcome your explanation!

It was down to communication. The Spanish federation were only told about him accepting the job 5 minutes before the press release announcing it.

I can understand the frustration and it's really ****ty timing on the coach's part but it seems like something that didn't need this drastic action on the eve of the tournament.

Edited by Blokestradamus
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

It was down to communication. The Spanish federation were only told about him accepting the job 5 minutes before the press release announcing it.

I can understand the frustration and it's really ****ty timing on the coach's part but it seems like something that didn't need this drastic action on the eve of the tournament.

No biggy for Spain, they will adapt just fine

9 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I hope so. Not a Spain fan but I love Fernando Hierro. My stepdad worked at Bolton while he was there. Lovely fella.

They have been the toast of Europe for club and national play the last decade, they will adapt and adjust in their distinct way...

thanks for the reminder on Hierro's last hurrah, watched him play hundreds of games on TV for many years for that other team...

they play Portugal in their supposedly hardest first round match very soon.

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

Thank you, but further question. 

Can an one person not coach but the national team and the Club team? Guess I always thought of it like our NBA coaches coaching in the Olympics. Does it not work that way?

thanks for the info BTW, I should know more of this stuff! 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, he had just signed a contract extension to coach the national team into 2020.  Then he went out and made this other deal with Real Madrid without letting anyone know.  It was an a-hole move and firing him was the right thing to do in my opinion.

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

Well, he had just signed a contract extension to coach the national team into 2020.  Then he went out and made this other deal with Real Madrid without letting anyone know.  It was an a-hole move and firing him was the right thing to do in my opinion.

Can one person not coach both teams? I mean, clubs and the national team can’t play and practice at the same time can they? 

7 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Can one person not coach both teams? I mean, clubs and the national team can’t play and practice at the same time can they? 

No.  At that level, you can't do both.  I can't think of an example where a national team coach was simultaneously involved with a club team too.  Maybe it has happened, but definitely not for top teams like these.

Just now, Cugalabanza said:

No.  At that level, you can't do both.  I can't think of an example where a national team coach was simultaneously involved with a club team too.  Maybe it has happened, but definitely not for top teams like these.

Gotcha, I did not know that. One last question     ...why is that? 

I am am assuming that most players that participate in the World Cup are on Club teams somewhere ... so can there be practices and matches in both simultaneously?

i just assumed it was like hockey or basketball, apparently I was wrong! 

27 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I'm just hoping my Portuguese don't embarrass themselves 

I think they will do well.  Portugal is one of the teams I like to root for, along with Iceland, Mexico, Costa Rica and a couple others.

Anyway, Portugal can't embarrass themselves any worse than USA (oh my heart!), Italy and Netherlands already have.

Just now, Cugalabanza said:

I think they will do well.  Portugal is one of the teams I like to root for, along with Iceland, Mexico, Costa Rica and a couple others.

Anyway, Portugal can't embarrass themselves any worse than USA (oh my heart!), Italy and Netherlands already have.

You have a good point my friend!