World Cup 2018 Thread

Just now, Cugalabanza said:

France vs. Belgium tomorrow at 2 pm ET.  Probably the two best teams at this point.  Promises to be a very good game.

Pretty psyched.

Just now, eball said:

They also announced an announcement, or so I heard.

Sweet.  Let me know what they said. 

2 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

France vs. Belgium tomorrow at 2 pm ET.  Probably the two best teams at this point.  Promises to be a very good game.

I agree.  I think the winner of this game beats either England or Croatia without too much trouble.

My pick is France to win this semi-final, and the tournament.

On July 8, 2018 at 5:23 AM, joesixpack said:

Never mind the fact that in hockey there’s actual physical contact 

You must not watch much top level soccer.

It is an extremely physical game and the best teams have players that are the size of power WRs in the NFL.  Watch how much 1 on 1 contact there is around the ball.

The best defenders are big, tall, strong guys because they have to be.

Edited by Fadingpain
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I agree.  I think the winner of this game beats either England or Croatia without too much trouble.

My pick is France to win this semi-final, and the tournament.

France is my favorite also.  Don't sell England short though, I feel like they could reasonably pull it off against either of the French speaking teams, they are working the ball around very well.

Uruguay also broke down the French defense several times so it'll be interesting if they can clean that up or be exposed again.

I'm working the late shift on Wednesday so I'll miss the match. Can't even keep my phone on me for updates or I'll get sacked.

I've backed Croatia to win from the start so I'll stick with my prediction. To be perfectly honest, I think I need England to lose for my own sanity. The coverage of this is wall-to-wall and I'm getting a litle sick of it :D

18 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

It is an extremely physical game and the best teams have players that are the size of power WRs in the NFL.  Watch how much 1 on 1 contact there is around the ball.

The best defenders are big, tall, strong guys because they have to be.

Soccer is a contact sport while American football is a collision sport

Edited by LewPort71

Somewhat disappointed in the France vs. Belgium game.  OK, not great, and not as good as I thought it was going to be.

I'm hoping ENG vs. CRO is better.

A France vs. England final would be epic.

Not like there is any history of bad blood there or anything like that.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

A France vs. England final would be epic.

Not like there is any history of bad blood there or anything like that.

:lol:

There isn't really any rivalry between France & England when it comes to soccer. Or in anything else in life for that matter. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

There isn't really any rivalry between France & England when it comes to soccer. Or in anything else in life for that matter. 

Certainly not in wine and food!

6 hours ago, BritBill said:

But I'm guessing it would amp up pretty quickly over the next few days should England hang on today...

45 minutes ago, stony said:

Player of the tourney

well duh, the leader of Real Madrid's 3 straight Champions League titles...

midfielders run soccer, and the pretty boys at striker can't do jack without them to tee the ball up for them for easy goals

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

??

Bet the five of you had a blast!  Business model of the future.

[Sorry... Couldn't resist]?

umm, couple hundred people at least drinking their faces off in the middle of the day, middle of the week.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2018 at 3:52 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

I think that this might actually be the year that England manages to make it to the finals and then break their fans' hearts.

I was wrong -- they did it one match early... that defensive spaz that led to Croatia's 2nd goal was pretty sad.

Just finished watching Croatia vs. England.  Another not great game, but not bad either.

After Croatia scored their first goal, England slumped and the game became one sided.  

I called a goal for Croatia in extra time too.

I have France beating Croatia on Sunday.  I am just hoping for a good game.