How Bills' Wide Receivers are Fighting to Make a Name for Themselves

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Bills please whatever you do.....give Reilly a place on this team.....you will be thankful you did later.

The next 7-11 to me

Couldn't agree more. I can see him projecting even slightly better than Hogan. If they keep 7 he should be a lock.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you say more about Austin Proehl and the "keeping him would have nepotism" comment?

I do recall Beane saying that they wanted to draft guys they felt had a strong shot to make the roster, so one would think Proehl has the fact that we used a draft pick on him in his favor.

His dad played for Beane in Carolina and Beane says he has known Austin since he was in school. They had a 7th round comp pick via trade I don't blame throwing it on a kid they knew would come in and give his all. I liked him when scouting Trubisky but at the moment I think he is PS and work with him. 

Edited by GunnerBill

On 6/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Kurley is pretty good. I think people are under appreciating him. It’s like the Wild West out there with all these nobody’s fighting for roster spots. I think when the dust settles they are almost all fighting for only 1 spot. IMO the professional veterans we have in camp are basically sure things; KB, Zay, Kurley and Holmes...And all these other guys are fighting for that 5th spot. Probably a guy that can play STs. Nothing about this is me trying to saying we are set. We have the worst group of WRs in the NFL and I don’t think it’s close. I just see it playing out as those 4 spots will be taken by the 4 men I mentioned. All these other guys will probably battle it out for that 5th spot and hopefully we can find another “Steve Johnson” gem.

This team will carry 6 I think- leaves 2 - still going to be a good battle for those 2 spots.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His dad played for Beane in Carolina and Beane says he has known Austin since he was in school. They had a 7th round comp pick via trade I don't blame throwing it on a kid they knew would come in and give his all. I liked him when scouting Rudolph but at the moment I think he is PS and work with him. 

Isn’t this how we ended up with Zay? We hired his college coach.  I wanted JuJu and I’m not giving up on Zay but man, it’s the nfl.  Pick the best player.

given the receivers on the roster, why in the world do you draft 2 more slot wrs?  MCCloud wasn’t even the best slot wr on Clemson.  I’d feel a lot better about these receivers if they rolled the dice on St Brown from Notre Dame.  If that guy blows up with Aaron Rodgers, I’m going to lose it haha!

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Benjamin staying healthy and productive this season is a huge key to the Bills' 2018 season.   He'll be looking for a big pay day.

Yup.  I just don’t know if he physically can.  Carolina sucked at wr last year and were willing to trade him in a playoff race.  It’s a shame because he was great in college and his rookie year.  Fans underestimate how important separation is.  Once it’s gone, you’re in trouble (see Dez).

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yup.  I just don’t know if he physically can.  Carolina sucked at wr last year and were willing to trade him in a playoff race.  It’s a shame because he was great in college and his rookie year.  Fans underestimate how important separation is.  Once it’s gone, you’re in trouble (see Dez).

He's in much better shape than last season and hopefully the knee holds up. I subscribe to the theory that "he's open when he's not open" because of his height and reach thus I don't believe separation is as vital for him as it may be with other WRs of lesser stature. 

On 6/13/2018 at 12:57 AM, Shaw66 said:

Yes, he may be an outlier.  He may be a failure.   But he was far from an utter failure last year.   He may have underperformed expectations, but he wasn't a disaster.   You keep him to see how he develops. 

Yes, your recollection is correct.   You describe him as he was billed.   But that's the same description as for Austin Proehl.   Why did one go in the second and one in the seventh?  They didn't make a five round mistake on Zay.   Austin Proehl wishes he had the physical characteristics Jones has and showed in college.  

You just don't cut second round talent after one year unless there's something wrong with him.

Well said and why you have literally a handful of second rounders cut after the 1st year. The potential is too high and even if they fall below expectations you need some patience.

15 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Isn’t this how we ended up with Zay? We hired his college coach.  I wanted JuJu and I’m not giving up on Zay but man, it’s the nfl.  Pick the best player.

given the receivers on the roster, why in the world do you draft 2 more slot wrs?  MCCloud wasn’t even the best slot wr on Clemson.  I’d feel a lot better about these receivers if they rolled the dice on St Brown from Notre Dame.  If that guy blows up with Aaron Rodgers, I’m going to lose it haha!

Proehl and Ray Ray probably have better chances at blowing up than St Brown

He was really disappointing at ND and purely a height /weight/ speed guy 

not a good route runner, doenst play special teams and plays smaller than his size 

Proehl and Ray Ray are fiesty kids who play bigger than their size 

14 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Well said and why you have literally a handful of second rounders cut after the 1st year. The potential is too high and even if they fall below expectations you need some patience.

I don’t believe 1 second rounder from the 2017 draft has been cut in the NFL

I'm curious why so many people think Holmes is a lock or near-lock to make the team. Yes I know he plays special teams, but it looks like Foster has been a very willing ST participant in camp thus far, Ray Ray (if he makes the team) will likely have return duties, what about the other young or vet WRs or players from other positions who can play STs (corners, LBs). I was very unimpressed with Holmes last year as a wideout, so I'm not sure why others are so high on him definitely making the team. He barely got any playing time even when our WR room became an ER and Zay was under producing. If the other guys are outproducing him in camp and the preseason as a wideout (and have more potential, higher ceiling), I'm sure they can fill Holmes' special teams role. It's not like he's Steve Tasker or Mark Pike. And as for being a red zone target, Holmes is 6'4". Benjamin is 6'5', Logan Thomas is 6'6", and Clay, Streater, and O'Leary are all 6'3". And it's not like Zay, Reilly, Foster, and Dupre are smurfs. They are all 6'2". So, there are plenty of tall targets for red zone work to choose from.

Does anyone know how Kerley has looked in camp thus far? Since they brought him in, he has experience, and seems like the kind of guy that could thrive in a New England style offense, it seems like he'll most likely be on the team, but I don't know if even he is a lock at this point. The young guys are hungry.

I think Benjamin and Jones (they won't give up on him this early) are the only locks for the team right now and then you are keeping probably only 4 of the rest depending on who is standing out, which receiver position they play (do we need another slot or Y or X to compliment or backup who we've already decided to keep), and ST play (does Ray Ray stick for return duties; or someone like Holmes as a gunner or whatever). But I think, right now that competition is wide open for any of the next 9 WRs to grab a spot.

Edited by folz

WR battle heats up as training camp

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - Kelvin Benjamin had an outstanding day at practice on Tuesday hauling in several touchdowns against the first team defense. But, behind number 13, the Bills are still searching for the right combination at wide receiver.

“What a great opportunity to have as a player, to come in here and compete, show your worth,” offensive coordinator Brian Daboll said at training camp.

The Bills have a hodge-podge of young guys fighting for roster spots and playing time. Some were late round draft picks like Ray-Ray McCloud and Austin Proehl while others went undrafted.

2 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

My roster for WR

Benjamin

Dupre

Jones --Slot

Foster

Proelh -slot

McCloud or  Rielly

Only Benjamin and Jones are sure to make it.  Reilly has a good chance.  The rest will most likely not make the 53. 

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Only Benjamin and Jones are sure to make it.  Reilly has a good chance.  The rest will most likely not make the 53. 

Dupre will BLOCK  for Shady . Thats why Mcd likes him