How Bills' Wide Receivers are Fighting to Make a Name for Themselves

On 6/12/2018 at 9:59 PM, mannc said:

I actually don’t think it’s a sure thing Zay makes it, although it’s certainly likely.  The only thing worse than his performance last season was his offseason.  If he doesn’t show serious improvement, and the drafted rookies play really well, Zay could be on the outside looking in.

I agree with that, unlikely to be cut, but definitely not a lock to make the team.

edit...is the link in the OP giving anyone else problems?

Edited by Cripple Creek

On 6/12/2018 at 9:59 PM, mannc said:

I actually don’t think it’s a sure thing Zay makes it, although it’s certainly likely.  The only thing worse than his performance last season was his offseason.  If he doesn’t show serious improvement, and the drafted rookies play really well, Zay could be on the outside looking in.

He was playing with a tear in his shoulder for most of the year..at least he manned up and took the needle before games instead of asking to go to the IR.

On 6/12/2018 at 10:07 PM, Logic said:

I believe it's high likely that Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, and Holmes make the roster. That leaves, at most, two spots open.

So the question becomes: who takes the final two spots? 

Brandon Reilly
Ray Ray McCloud
Austin Proehl
Robert foster
Malachi Dupre
Rod Streater
Quan Bray

Two of the top four listed guys seem likely to me.

....give me Reilly & Foster

2 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

He was playing with a tear in his shoulder for most of the year..at least he manned up and took the needle before games instead of asking to go to the IR.

I don’t know details of that injury or how much it affected him, but that is a fact that I think is too often overlooked. Fingers crossed that he looks like a new guy this year. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t know details of that injury or how much it affected him, but that is a fact that I think is too often overlooked. Fingers crossed that he looks like a new guy this year. 

...I'm with you bud.....kid was a rook coming off a prolific (already know about the level of competition) 160 catch season....NOT making excuses, but I'd think playing with a torn labrum would somewhat inhibit your play, despite the yipsters and their "no hands bust" label....doubt the kid has Robert Royal mitts.....and now the knee surgery.......sure as hell hopes he comes back healthy and approaches expectations for a 2nd rounder.....stay tuned..............

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'm with you bud.....kid was a rook coming off a prolific (already know about the level of competition) 160 catch season....NOT making excuses, but I'd think playing with a torn labrum would somewhat inhibit your play, despite the yipsters and their "no hands bust" label....doubt the kid has Robert Royal mitts.....and now the knee surgery.......sure as hell hopes he comes back healthy and approaches expectations for a 2nd rounder.....stay tuned..............

When I first saw his Senior year catch total, I thought it was for his college career! I’m probably not alone in double checking that. The guy CAN catch the ball. He just needs to start doing it again and get his head together. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I first saw his Senior year catch total, I thought it was for his college career! I’m probably not alone in double checking that. The guy CAN catch the ball. He just needs to start doing it again and get his head together. 

...think I have MORE confidence in McDaboll as the OC taskmaster versus lethargic Dennison to get this kid right.....just an unsubstantiated hunch.........

• 1 month later...

Cover 1's day 4 podcast had an interesting discussion on the WR situation.  I think I am largely with Nate Geary whose view is broadly:

They likely keep 6, but they possibly keep 7 (IF and only if there are sufficient guys there for special teams capability).

Roster locks:

Kelvin Benjamin

Jeremy Kerley 

Likely roster locks:

Andre Holmes (top redzone touchdown receiver in 2017, core special teamer on coverage units, professional vet who is good in the locker room - Nate had a story about how he was the leader of the WR room last year who the young guys were trying to learn from)

Ray-Ray McCloud (return ability and possible gadget play possibilities in the way they used Taiwan Jones last year - reverses, jet sweeps etc)

Leaders of the competition:

Zay Jones (benefit of the doubt based on draft status etc)

Malachi Dupre (taken all the 1st team reps two days in a row as the 3rd receiver. Beane scouted him heavily in Carolina, not showing up big yet in terms of catches but getting props for his run blocking)

Brandon Reilly (got 1st team reps through days 1 and 2 of camp, made a big impression last year in pre-season - is bigger and faster than he gets credit for)

Falling behind:

Rod Streater (yet to make the impression on this camp that he did on 2017's before injury)

Robert Foster (has noticeably struggled since the pads went on apparently, Nate noticed him being chewed out by Daboll after running wrong route with the 2nd unit)

Cam Phillips (also saw a few 1st team 7 on 7 snaps in the first couple of days, seems to have slipped down the pecking order as this first weekend went on)

Long shots:

Quan Bray (3 receptions in 3 years with the Colts but not totally discounted because he offers some return ability - would likely need to beat out Ray-Ray)

Kaelin Clay (Carolina guy, also has some return ability and some speed but looks a bit lost in the shuffle)

Austin Proehl (at the moment feels like keeping him on the 53 would have some nepotism behind it - needs to ball out in the pre-season games to stand a chance but a possible practice squad guy)

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 6/21/2018 at 4:17 PM, eball said:

I really don't care who they keep, as long as the decision is one of cutting a promising player rather than keeping the best of a mediocre lot.

Yes, and Holmes v Reilly is a perfect example. Also, No one seems to be factoring in a QB that sees and uses the entire field. Having smart, shifty guys who can find openings Is as valuable as speed sometimes...

so im with John from “my hometown” on this one—we may be pleasantly surprised this season. 

39 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Cover 1's day 4 podcast had an interesting discussion on the WR situation.  I think I am largely with Nate Geary whose view is broadly:

They likely keep 6, but they possibly keep 7 (IF and only if there are sufficient guys there for special teams capability).

Roster locks:

Kelvin Benjamin

Jeremy Kerley 

Likely roster locks:

Andre Holmes (top redzone touchdown receiver in 2017, core special teamer on coverage units, professional vet who is good in the locker room - Nate had a story about how he was the leader of the WR room last year who the young guys were trying to learn from)

Ray-Ray McCloud (return ability and possible gadget play possibilities in the way they used Taiwan Jones last year - reverses, jet sweeps etc)

Malachi Dupre (taken all the 1st team reps two days in a row as the 3rd receiver. Beane scouted him heavily in Carolina, not showing up big yet in terms of catches but getting props for his run blocking)

Brandon Reilly (got 1st team reps through days 1 and 2 of camp, made a big impression last year in pre-season - is bigger and faster than he gets credit for)

Falling behind:

Rod Streater (yet to make the impression on this camp that he did on 2017's before injury)

Robert Foster (has noticeably struggled since the pads went on apparently, Nate noticed him being chewed out by Daboll after running wrong route with the 2nd unit)

Cam Phillips (also saw a few 1st team 7 on 7 snaps in the first couple of days, seems to have slipped down the pecking order as this first weekend went on)

Long shots:

Quan Bray (3 receptions in 3 years with the Colts but not totally discounted because he offers some return ability - would likely need to beat out Ray-Ray)

Kaelin Clay (Carolina guy, also has some return ability and some speed but looks a bit lost in the shuffle)

Austin Proehl (at the moment feels like keeping him on the 53 would have some nepotism behind it - needs to ball out in the pre-season games to stand a chance but a possible practice squad guy)

Even when Zay comes back, I really think it's going to be tough to keep Dupre off the field.  

Dupre just seems polished.

Zay's Cap hit doubles if we cut him.  After the offseason and his generally unproductive rookie year, its unlikely he has any trade value.  He's likely sticking.  

I personally think Holmes may be more up in the air.  They seem to value Dupre's speed, and they look at Ray-ray as some sort of hybrid type weapon.  

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Zay's Cap hit doubles if we cut him.  After the offseason and his generally unproductive rookie year, its unlikely he has any trade value.  He's likely sticking.  

I personally think Holmes may be more up in the air.  They seem to value Dupre's speed, and they look at Ray-ray as some sort of hybrid type weapon.  

I thought the deadcap hit would only occur if Zay was cut before June 1st of this upcoming season?

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I will be surprised if Andre Holmes doesn't make this team. Redzone production, core special teams, locker room leader. He sounds like McDermott's dream!

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Roster locks:

Kelvin Benjamin

Jeremy Kerley 

Likely roster locks:

Andre Holmes

Ray-Ray McCloud

Malachi Dupre

Brandon Reilly

Falling behind:

Long shots:

Can you say more about Austin Proehl and the "keeping him would have nepotism" comment?

I do recall Beane saying that they wanted to draft guys they felt had a strong shot to make the roster, so one would think Proehl has the fact that we used a draft pick on him in his favor.