Lamar Jackson Lining Up at Other Positions During Practice

Gugny

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

He’s a better passer just coming out of college than Tyrod is right now after ample NFL experience.  AND he is a far superior athlete.  Everybody knows that...

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

have you even seen jacksons college passing stats?

Jackson is definitely an incredible athlete.

He's also definitely too stupid to be even a "mediocre," QB in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Dont understand all the venom here at LJ, but I think it was fairly obvious that Flacco is the clear starter going into camp, but the Ravens are going to try and find ways to still utilize Lamars abilities while they groom him to potentially replace Flacco at some point.

But I don't think anyone really expected Lamar to challenge for starting playing time this year, which is why Ravens were a great spot for him.  He gets to work on his game and study behind a seasoned SB winning veteran and a great coaching staff while also likely getting some regular season game time by using his talents in specific packages and situations.

Lamar has as much upside as really any QB in this draft.  None of them came without flaws they need to improve on, and anyone comparing him to TT really just doesn't know what they are talking about as they are not very comparable and you are just being lazy.  He is no lock to be a franchise QB, but he's also no lock to be a bust.  He is in about as good a situation as he could have asked for, so time will tell how he grooms out.  

I do find it funny that so many TSW experts here seem to think they know so much that he is a lock to bust, while arguably the best NFL GM of his generation, Newsome, felt strongly enough about Lamar's potential that he went out and got him in the first round even though they already have a starter who won them a SB.  Never understood this boards obsession with declaring people hits or busts before they have ever played a single regular season snap.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

On 6/12/2018 at 4:53 PM, BuffaloBill said:

The coaches are trying to motivate Flacco.  If he sees his competition maybe he will play better. /s

He could also see it as a way to get the competition for his job hurt so he isn't competition any more.  "Coach, I didn't mean to throw the ball high so the linebacker could hit him in the middle of the back like that."

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

He's lining up at "backup QB"

Yup. Plus they wanted to give Flacco a few reps at RB and WR in the gadget plays in case there is an injury to Jackson. Then the third QB would be behind center and Flacco would get the pitchouts and jet sweeps and swing passes. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Lamar Jackson runs the Ravens offense for an entire day ... and eventually for good

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – It was impossible not to keep looking down at the roster, and then back at the field, and then back at the roster, and then double-checking with someone else nearby if, in fact, we were both seeing the same thing. Best I could tell, No. 8 was the only guy throwing the football.

It appeared that in drill after drill – seven-on-seven or 11-on-11 – Joe Flacco was nowhere in sight, hidden somewhere among the hundred-odd people on the sideline, and that Robert Griffin III might as well have been back on the league's daily transaction wire. Because all you ever saw running the Baltimore Ravens offense for the entirety of their final minicamp practice Thursday was Lamar Jackson.

The uber-athletic rookie – whom the team drafted 32nd overall after moving back into the first round and whose natural explosiveness has created a persistent buzz among the veterans here this spring – was taking every snap with the starters. And the backups. And the third team. And with any other stray receiver or tight end who might still be hanging around.

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The uber-athletic rookie – whom the team drafted...

I wonder if the German websites and periodicals are now plagued by the tendency to replace 'uber' with the English word 'over' every chance a journalist gets.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
Über-Unter-Mitte

On 6/12/2018 at 4:44 PM, John from Riverside said:

Im suprised that Jackson isnt bucking this a bit.....maybe after he fell just happy to be a first round pick.

I still think he has a chance to be good.

Maybe its designed to have him act as a dummy at other positions and end up with him throwing the ball...

He could run a jet sweep and take a handoff then throw,

He could catch a bubble screen(backwards pass) as a WR and then throw it.

He could line up in the backfield take a handoff and then throw it...

There are a lot of innovative ways they could utilize him, similar to what I was hoping they would have done with Tyrod last year in the game Peterman started...

This situation reminds me of what Gailey did with Kordell in Pittsburgh. If We see Jackson used as that slash player, it could benefit the team and his growth. Youth will allow Jackson’s body to take more punishment the first couple of years. If Jackson will be successful long term he will need to transition to more of pocket passer. 

Didn't the Redskins & Steelers do that a lot with that WR who used to be a QB & have decent success?

Granted, he transitioned into a WR, but they still threw him in at QB from time to time. I can't believe I forgot the dude's name...

On 6/12/2018 at 7:43 PM, greeneblitz said:

Its pretty clear to most gms and scouts that have been quoted predraft feel that his value is not at qb, regardless what he or fans think.

So much so that a team traded up to get him huh? A lot of smarties in this thread. 

On 6/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, Mr. WEO said:

He's lining up at "backup QB"

The Wonderlic graded you...not so good..

Our best QB ever got a 15. Meaningless grade, stupid post. 

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

So much so that a team traded up to get him huh? A lot of smarties in this thread. 

Our best QB ever got a 15. Meaningless grade, stupid post. 

Argument based on an outlier data point.

Not an "elite" post......