Tremaine Edmunds vs. Roquan Smith: Direct Comparison

Found a few nice articles comparing the top two linebackers in the draft. The first link is the most detailed article. Speaks glowingly of both, but push comes to shove - picks Edmunds over Smith. Four articles overall 3:1 Edmunds!

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/nfl-draft-tale-of-tape-roquan-smith-vs-tremaine-edmunds/

In summary, these are going to be two of the 32 first-round selections in April. Both are deserving of high praise, but they’re also different players in different molds. One must get his name called first — who will it be?

I believe that player to be Tremaine Edmunds. With the versatility, special size/athleticism combination, and the length to key off blocks and still challenge the play between the tackles with greater consistency, there’s more ceiling to be reached. Of course some will counter that Smith has a higher floor and is a cleaner projection.

It’s nearly impossible to go wrong between these two stud linebackers, but for my money I expect we’ll hear Tremaine Edmunds’ name first on that Thursday night in April.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/draft-analysis-which-lb-best-fits-bears-tremaine-edmunds-or-roquan-smith/

Smith (6-1, 236 pounds) is built similarly to Trevathan (6-1, 239). His speed from sideline to sideline and his instincts stand out — especially when compared to Edmunds — to evaluators and draft pundits.

Smith’s aggressive, tone-setting mindset also would be a good fit in the middle of coordinator Vic Fangio’s defense.

But Edmunds’ potential as a pass rusher — which starts with his special combination of size and speed — is what separates him from other inside linebackers.

http://dabearsbros.com/tremaine-edmunds-vs-roquan-smith/

At the end of the day, you can’t go wrong with either of these players. Both are young playmakers that will come in, make a difference immediately and should be a long-term solution at the linebacker position.

I would take Edmunds over Smith by the slimmest of margins, and that’s mostly because of the size difference. I don’t see any major issues with him fitting into a 3-4 scheme, and I can’t imagine Chicago being against taking a guy who’s being compared to Urlacher.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/4/14/17237236/2018-nfl-draft-scouting-reports-tremaine-edmunds-roquan-smith

As stated before, drafting Edmunds or Smith would be a great move for the team, allowing them to fortify the defense with top level talent. It is hard to pass up on the youth, length, elite athleticism, and the huge potential upside Edmunds brings to the table; moreover, providing Robert Saleh a perfect and dynamic versatile chess piece easily taking advantage of all linebacker positions (and some LEO too) with Edmunds’ unique skills. In my mind Edmunds is an ideal SAM, but the versatility is definitely enticing.

Nevertheless, although Edmunds possess crazy athleticism, size, and speed, for me instincts is king, and Smith oozes instincts. The NFL is loaded with elite athletes with size and amazing speed that defies logic, but it is those elite instinctual traits that separate regular NFL talent to those on the perennial Pro Bowl circuit. Although Smith may not be as super versatile (more of a MIKE and WILL) compared to Edmunds, instincts wins out hands down, thus making Roquan Smith my guy and anticipated draft selection of the 49ers - my draft crush by the way. Stick Smith at MIKE and the 49ers get a three-down linebacker ideal for the scheme, and IF Foster is part of the 49ers’ future, pairing Roquan and Reuben would create a threatening duo of destruction eliminating opponents with tremendous speed and violence wreaking havoc all over the field for the 49ers for years to come.

Another article that polls various people on the Edmunds vs. Smith question:

https://www.49ers.com/news/draft-panel-take-your-pick-roquan-smith-or-tremaine-edmunds

3:2 Edmunds!

And last, but not the least, another detailed video look at both of them:

https://beargoggleson.com/2018/04/16/85064/

These are two of the best players in this draft class. All negatives are nit-picky about their play to differentiate the two. In terms of off-field, athleticism and statistics, Edmunds has an edge. Smith is a better pass rusher, but the upside in Edmunds coverage washes those categories. Smith is better in terms of understanding and form tackling, but Edmunds has more upside in terms of shedding blocks and finishing with power.

It is a really tough call. At the end of the day Smith is likely better right here and now, but may have a peaked ceiling compared to Edmunds, who has shown unreal heights. Edmunds floor is lower than Smith but if Ryan Pace feels the ceiling is high enough, he is worth the swing.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think Smith is the more polished player right now but certainly the ceiling is higher Edmunds.  He’s a physical freak and a monster.  I do think there are qualities as a great middle LB has that aren’t physical.  Basically, he needs to be the qb of the defense and know what everyone is doing every play.  It’s why some player with less God given skills become very good MLBs while more physically talented ones struggle.  If you struggle to recognize the play, it makes you slower.

that said, the absolute worst case scenario for TE is becoming a good OLB.  IMO, it seems like a very safe pick that could potentially be great.  Now for the qb one on the other hand :)

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If there is a player in the 2019 draft named Tre Williams, I think we have to draft him no matter the cost. 

The Triple Tre Defense.

(and, yes, our Williams reserves, once proud, are depleting)

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

If there is a player in the 2019 draft named Tre Williams, I think we have to draft him no matter the cost. 

He was an undersized running back in the 2014 draft, or one of 2 linebackers from Auburn -  on in the 2015 draft class and one in the 2018 draft class.  I couldn't find any Tre Williams in the 2019 draft, but if you're patient, There might be a defensive tackle in the 2024 draft.  He's a 6'3, 308 lb defensive tackle attending a Washington DC high school at present.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nice comparison of the two players.  My single biggest concern regarding Roquan Smith is that he's undersized.  I'm not talking about him from the perspective of weight.  Both him and Edmunds came in at 236 pounds.  I'm talking about it from the perspective of his height.  Smith is 6-1.  There's not a lot of weight to be put on his frame without sacrificing speed.  His bulk doesn't have much more upside and he's done growing.  Pass coverage against TE's is a huge concern for me.  Edmunds is 6-5 and almost identical in terms of his speed.  Bigger frame and bigger upside with the height to cover the big TE's in todays game.

20 minutes ago, FearLess Price said:

Mcdermott seems to favor smart players, for them to draft an athletic freak like ed munster, it means he also has it between the eyes, and thats important for our Defenses QB.

So far it seems like Edmunds is passing all of the mental tests with flying colors.

He reportedly is approaching the process the correct way, just like Allen, taking it seriously and acting like a pro. They both appear to know that getting drafted is just the beginning and the real work is ahead of them. Not only are they saying the right things, everything coming out of OBD says they're putting in the work as well.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Tre' Williams (OLB Auburn) was picked up as an UDFA by the Jets this year.  Maybe they cut him and we can bring him on board.

• Like (+1) 1