Josh Allen to start getting some 1st team reps

Make no mistake: the only plan in place is to make Josh Allen the starting QB of this team as fast as possible, without going so fast as to be to his or the team's detriment.

How that development arc is worded or what the day-to-day plan is between now and Week 1 of the Regular season is kind of unimportant.

The big question rolling forward is whether or not Allen has the ability to be the Week 1 starter.

41 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

Allen attempted a pass that was broken up by Micah Hyde.  I don't know if it was one where Hyde tipped the ball and Edmunds intercepted it, but regardless, I liked what Allen said in his press conference.  He said that after the play he went up to Hyde and asked him what he saw that enabled him to break on the ball and break up the pass.  Hyde's respons was that it was Allen's eyes-where he was looking.  The important thing is that Allen is taking time to get the perspective of the DBs, not just relying on what he coaches are telling him.  Obviously, his intention is to learn from everything and everyone, and use that to get better.  Presumably, every QB has that attitude coming out of college.  It may be that some are more thorough than others.  Allen looks like he's pretty thorough.  Hopefully, he's also good at transferring what he learns into his own performance.

Another in a rapidly growing list of little things that suggest this kid will be successful. As per the bold text, you’d be surprised how many rookie QBs lack the humility to do that.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Goff was actually only the 3rd stringer for 1 week. Then he was the #2 for half a season before he got in.  

This was always the plan.  He will be our starter week 1, I am more and more and more convinced of it.  

I just hope the O-Line is there for him if he does start #1.....otherwise - the Bills will ruin another QB.....having said that I have faith in McD and his coaches.  They won't put him in to fail......I hope not!

6 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I just hope the O-Line is there for him if he does start #1.....otherwise - the Bills will ruin another QB.....having said that I have faith in McD and his coaches.  They won't put him in to fail......I hope not!

He played his entire college and high school career without an O-Line there for him. Probably more prepared for that than either AJ or Nate despite the fact they have played in the NFL. 

27 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He played his entire college and high school career without an O-Line there for him. Probably more prepared for that than either AJ or Nate despite the fact they have played in the NFL. 

I dont know we will see I guess.

I think Allen has the goods but ppl need to remember he is taking a huge leap in competition.....everything is faster....

If he needs some time for the NFL game to slow down for him I think we need to be patient....I like that the coaches are not bending under the pressure of having a 7th overall pick that they traded up for getting pushed up.....let him earn the spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

Allen attempted a pass that was broken up by Micah Hyde.  I don't know if it was one where Hyde tipped the ball and Edmunds intercepted it, but regardless, I liked what Allen said in his press conference.  He said that after the play he went up to Hyde and asked him what he saw that enabled him to break on the ball and break up the pass.  Hyde's respons was that it was Allen's eyes-where he was looking.  The important thing is that Allen is taking time to get the perspective of the DBs, not just relying on what he coaches are telling him.  Obviously, his intention is to learn from everything and everyone, and use that to get better.  Presumably, every QB has that attitude coming out of college.  It may be that some are more thorough than others.  Allen looks like he's pretty thorough.  Hopefully, he's also good at transferring what he learns into his own performance.

Nice scoop- not only do we like that approach... guarantee it bought him some Micah respect too

32 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Msi playing with and against worse players prepares you better for elite competition? 

In I’m not sure I feel that one

• Like (+1) 1

It's good to give him a taste with the first team.  That doesn't mean he'll end up there, but they determined he deserves to run some plays with the ones.  Better receivers, better blocking, etc.

If he progresses well, he'll earn more time with the ones.  

I heard him on the radio saying he doesn't want time off.  He wants to keep playing and learning and becoming a professional football player.  He has a great work ethic.  If he is as talented as they felt when they drafted him, and his work ethic is this strong and consistent, he will eventually become a football star.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Nice scoop- not only do we like that approach... guarantee it bought him some Micah respect too

Msi playing with and against worse players prepares you better for elite competition? 

In I’m not sure I feel that one

No. Having a jailbreak rush on him a substantial if not majority number of pass plays because of inferior guys in front of him is good preparation or better preparation than having an easy clean pocket would have been. 

reality check....weeks 1 thru 4...balt. (rd.)  la., then minn. and gb both on the road.  start the rookie?....ummm hell no. i don't care how good he looks and i would bet that there's 52 other guys with an opinion and a desire to play on a winning, playoff bound team. that has to weigh very heavily on the staff's decision. let's not get stupid. i hope he's the guy, but he doesn't need to be week one or this year for that matter.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen will begin to “periodically” receive reps with the first-team offense “from time to time, moving forward," starting this week during minicamp. Allen will still work with the third-team offense “by and large,” according to McDermott.

Josh Allen received four snaps with the first team in 11-on-11 work during Tuesday's minicamp practice, the first time the No. 7 overall pick has practiced with Buffalo's top unit. He completed 3 of 4 passes in that segment before taking two snaps in 9-on-9 (no defensive tackles rushing). After a completion to start, his second pass was tipped by safety Micah Hyde and intercepted by rookie linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. After practice, Allen approached Hyde about the play and the veteran safety told the rookie he read his eyes.

SB here we come

All this for 4 snaps.   Ahhhhh the offseason.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Goff was actually only the 3rd stringer for 1 week. Then he was the #2 for half a season before he got in.  

This was always the plan.  He will be our starter week 1, I am more and more and more convinced of it.  

I would wait and see how my Oline is playing for a few games before I throw the kid into the fray.    Too many question marks upfront right now, it's quite a stretch to think we can assemble a good line with such a lack of experience and continuity.

Maybe we can, maybe the Oline can be serviceable right away, but I see week 9 against the Bears here at home as a logical spot for the kid's first start.

7 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Makes perfect sense.  In an ideal world McCarron's and Peterman's camps would place them as the second and third best quarterbacks in the league, only to be blown out of the water by Allen who steals the job by profiling as the greatest quarterback of all time.

Obviously that's hyperbole designed to generate groans and laughs, but if you stop and think about it of course we want Allen to win the job.  It would validate the pick even further, and give the fan base hope that our "QB purgatory" is finally over.

This is absolutely correct.   There is no "program" to put him on that requires that Allen sit for a year.  Some rookie QBs have come in and just taken over the job because they were that good.   Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Wentz.   

People need to listen to McDermott.  He's very clear.   Every position is a competition.   The guy who wins the competition starts, at every position.   McDermott said Allen will compete for the job.   (He also said Allen's at a big disadvantage, because veterans know how to do things already, things he must learn).  

So I'm rooting for Allen to win the job, because that's the best result.   If he wins, it will be by showing that he can play with the first team better than the other two.   He will get some opportunities to run with them, and based on how he does in the those opportunities, and how he does running with the 2s and 3s, he may get some more opportunities.   If he makes th most his opportunities, he wins the job.   That would be a good thing.  

WIll it happen?   Not likely; as McDermott said, he starts with a big handicap.   But we will see.  

7 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Edited by Shaw66

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is absolutely correct.   There is no "program" to put him on that requires that Allen sit for a year.  Some rookie QBs have come in and just taken over the job because they were that good.   Russell Wilson, Derek Carr, Wentz.   

The Derek Carr comparison is the best one here I think. Carr was not great his first camp and pre-season with the Raiders but his competition was a shell of Matt Schaub and Matt McGloin. Carr was the best of a bad bunch in that competition and the Raiders thought that there was no point sitting their best quarterback until the situation was perfect to let less talented guys go out there and be less effective.  Carr went 0-10 his first 10 starts, he obviously wasn't ready... but he learned and he grew and he responded. 

That is where I really think the Bills will end up. With Allen not really ready but them having zero to gain throwing two obviously inferior players out there.  That is why I still think Allen is the guy with the inside track on the starting job.  Sure if either AJ or Nate have a great camp and pre-season showings then they will start them.... but my suspicion is that it is more that Carr like situation where it is Allen by default.  

14 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Sorry Kelly - he's in the Pros now. Play time is over. If he starts Opening Day - I'm buying at the new Checkers

15 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

True - but he had **** competition so there is gonna be some beasts coming after his azz......Duck Josh!  DUCK!