Josh Allen to start getting some 1st team reps

They're rushing him!  He needs to sit behind McCarron for a few years because, you know, look how it worked out for Rodgers and Green Bay!!  It's the same thing!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think upgrading the coaching staff had a significant impact on him as well.  But I wouldn't have bet you 20 bucks on him having the year he did.    The NFCW is getting tougher.   LA looks good.    

Ya Mcvay was a huge factor for Goff last year.

Goff went from two extremes.

Playing QB for one of the worst systems his first year, to one of the best systems In his 2nd year

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Woah this news is huge!!!!  

I can’t decide to overreact to this right now or to the coming reports of each and every report on each throw he makes?  ?

I expect picks.  They’re good and he’s a rookie

Yes, I do as well. But how encouraging would it be if he goes out there and makes some big time throws? I hope he shows well. I still think he beats the other two out in TC for the starting job. 

This is entirely a test to see how he fairs against better competition.  I would expect him to slowly get more reps with the ones as he proves himself against the weaker players.  I would not read too much into this.  Way too early. 

I can't fathom how anyone would be shocked by this.  Unless he completely flops or one of the other guys shines like a diamond, he's the QB of the future.  Kind of a snoozer from a news perspective.

53 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

That's good, but if he starts the season as the 3rd string QB i still won't be upset.  Goff was the 3rd stringer his rookie year for half the season.   It's not unusual to bring a guy along slowly.   Derek Carr went 0-10 his first 10 starts as a rookie.     I don't expect him to come out gang busters.    

Kelly was 4-12 his first NFL season,  the important thing is to put him in when he’s ready. 

Do I think he is “ ruinable”? 

Not if the offense is run based and quick release without a lot of QB reading to start( if Allen is in there) 

There is nothing like experience but sometimes it can be overwhelmingly bad so it’s “ Trust the process”

Just now, Buffalo Boy said:

Kelly was 4-12 his first NFL season,  the important thing is to put him in when he’s ready. 

Do I think he is “ ruinable”? 

Not if the offense is run based and quick release without a lot of QB reading to start( if Allen is in there) 

There is nothing like experience but sometimes it can be overwhelmingly bad so it’s “ Trust the process”

I really hope he doesn't start early, not with a pretty sketchy oline like we have.   Let em sort that out first.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

I can't fathom how anyone would be shocked by this.  Unless he completely flops or one of the other guys shines like a diamond, he's the QB of the future.  Kind of a snoozer from a news perspective.

I don’t think anyone is shocked. It’s the #1 story on nfl.com though because it’s an important milestone in his development plan. It was part of the original plan, but it was also noted that he “earned” these extra reps and to rotate in with the 1s. Not all news has to be “shocking” to be interesting. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Yes, I do as well. But how encouraging would it be if he goes out there and makes some big time throws? I hope he shows well. I still think he beats the other two out in TC for the starting job. 

If he goes all Russell Wilson on us.... no complaints! 

If his mechanics and footwork stuff are as fixed as we heard from Palmer, I think his ridiculous arm talent will overshadow the other two in shorts for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t have anything against McCarron or even Peterman tbh, just want best Qb to play. But I have found myself rooting for Allen to win the job. Only if he’s the best one, of course, but I guess I’m just hoping that he beats them out. 

This makes perfect sense because if he legitimately beats them it’s a good sign he’s closer to the guy that was worth picking at seven, then the fifth round prospect the nay sayers said he is. 

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

I believe Beane/McD/Daboll have a collective plan set up for Allen's development, and I believe they had it in place before they drafted him or any QB.  I expect them to stick to it unless something crazy happens.    Glad he's earning some reps with the 1s.   

I just wish we had someone on our coaching staff who has successfully developed a good nfl qb.  This worries me big time.

and did some people not think he wouldn’t get 1st team reps?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

This makes perfect sense because if he legitimately beats them it’s a good sign he’s closer to the guy that was worth picking at seven, then the fifth round prospect the nay sayers said he is. 

I don’t want to rush him, especially because the talent on offense is bad, but shouldn’t a top 10 pick qb be able to beat or at least look physically superior to former 5th rounders?

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I just wish we had someone on our coaching staff who has successfully developed a good nfl qb.  This worries me big time.

and did some people not think he wouldn’t get 1st team reps?

No idea if some thought he would or wouldn't.    The fact that we have no one who has successfully developed a QB is a little concerning, but McDermott has worked with Andy Reid,  and with Rivera, both have developed guys before.   Daboll worked with Brady a lot, and he sure as heck knows what terrible QBs look like.