What If Rex Never Was Hired & Schwartz was The HC ?

6 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

He was most famous in Detroit for a postgame handshake (or non-handshake).  Good D coordinator but head coach; no thanks.

Yeah people don't seem to realize the skill set you need to succeed as a head coach and the skillset you need to succeed as a coordinator are completely different.

Head coaches deal with so much non-football stuff its crazy. Its why so few coordinators can make that jump because being a great on one side of the ball as a coordinator isn't what makes you a great head coach that deals with all aspects of things.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, T master said:

I know the Bills are in a good place now with the Mc Bean era firmly in place, the play off drought is over & i see good things in the future under this new regime but while reading today on Rumblings i saw a What If post about the coaching staff prior to this one that the Pegula's have now .

The post was about how after Marrone stiffed the Bills & the Bills had this kick butt D in place the coach of the unit was Jim Schwartz which had head coaching experience & has now put a Super Bowl ring on his finger . I for one was hoping they would keep him for the continuity part of him staying & through reading that article was wondering what you all thought about that ?

I know the past is the past & i am glad in the direction that the Bills are taking but do you think if the Pegula's would have put Schwartz in the HC ing position it would have been better or worse than Rex ?

I have thought about that scenerio myself. very good question. i tend to think we may have been ok.. D would  have been solid. Rex re-inventing the D was the problem IMHO. 

His success would have been completely dependent on who was hired as OC and how much control they would have over the offense. I think with Schwartz controlling the defense and Anthony Lynn controlling the offense, we would have seen the playoffs sooner. Rex was a curse on the organization and on football. He should not be allowed to make money from the sport in any capacity. I hate listening to him on tv. He knows nothing about the game and is a complete failure. 

All comes down to who he would've hired as defensive coordinator. 

You also have to ask why he hasn't become a head coach since leaving here, considering how well his defense has continued to perform. 

Ultimately, I think we would be search for a head coach next year because I think he would have stayed with TT and we wouldn't have made up the ground on offense to offset the defense. 

But hey, I'm wrong a lot.

It has seemed like the lack of continuity with our defensive scheme and continuous change of direction with our Offense has been a huge thorn in this franchises side for a long time. It has always seemed that when one side of the ball is playing good the other side is terrible and more times than not it has been the offense holding us back. Had we kept Schwartz and his defense we would of still had major holes in our offense and I'm sure forever stuck in the 9-7 to 7-9 range unless we could find a QB and a really good O-coordinator. That being said Schwartz is legitimately one of the best D coordinators that I've seen rivaling Wade Phillips.

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah people don't seem to realize the skill set you need to succeed as a head coach and the skillset you need to succeed as a coordinator are completely different.

Head coaches deal with so much non-football stuff its crazy. Its why so few coordinators can make that jump because being a great on one side of the ball as a coordinator isn't what makes you a great head coach that deals with all aspects of things.

One of the skills you need as a head coach is picking coaches to work for you which help with your weaknesses and are strong enough to tell you "you made a mistake".  Based on coaches he picked and dismissed in a year it is a work in progress for coach McD.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

His first 3 years with the Lions were very good.  He inherited a 0-16 roster totally devoid of talent (it was Calvin Johnson, Cliff Avril and then a load of guys who shouldn't have been in the NFL) and built it in 3 years back into a playoff team.  After that they lost their way and his "play tough" mantra had resulted in some really undisciplined performances.  But people look at his pure W-L record in Detroit and think he was worse than he was.  Those first two years were about trying to just get some talent back on the roster.  That wouldn't have been an issue had he taken over in Buffalo in 2015.  He had some building blocks in place.

....don't recall him being a candidate or interviewed for recent HC positions....do you think he found his niche as a DC and is comfortable with it versus another HC shot?....

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't recall him being a candidate or interviewed for recent HC positions....do you think he found his niche as a DC and is comfortable with it versus another HC shot?....

The Giants inteviewed him this year. I do think he deserves another shot and if it wasn't for the current trend in favour of offensive Head Coaches I think he would have got it by now. He is obviously more capable than a number of the Head Coaches in the league. 

The defense would have been an elite unit for 2015 at least. I think that Schwartz gets one more decent year out of Mario, while Dareus, Hughes, and Kyle were playing at an elite level. The talent fits the scheme better and the defense stays a top 5 unit for 2015 and a top 10 unit for 2016. 

But the offense might still have been a mess. There is no guarantee that they trade for Shady, sign InCog (Who was huge in turning around the O-line) draft Miller (who was also big for the O-line in 2015 and 2016) sign Clay and sign Tyrod (Knock Tyrod all you want he was miles better than what Marrone was trotting out there) while also getting Roman to put together the offense. 

So as bad as Rex !@#$ed with the defense Roman and the big spending put together a pretty good offense. So if somehow Schwartz stayed and they put together the same offense then the Bills would have been an 11+ win team in 2015 but it is hard to project that forward. 

To put in my 2 cents on my own post i think if Rex would have been a true HC & fixed the things that were wrong with the team & leave the things alone that were good with the team he would have been better for him & all concerned ! 

He left Crossman in charge of the ST unit Good Move they were very good the year before & if he would have left Schwartz do his thing with no meddling & just been the HC (which with his ego would never had happened) the D would have been fine ! If it ain't broke don't fix it !! 

Then alls he needed to do was put Roman in charge of the offense & let the people he hired do what they do . Then been the HC like he was to get rid of Roman & put Lynn in charge i think the team would have been in the play offs sooner .

But if that di happen we wouldn't be where the team is now which is much better off !! 

That is why i like Mcdermot so much he is humble & he has put in place people that he allows to do their job & trusts them to do it to his standard & if not like Dennison your gone then finds some one else to work with the strengths of the players they have while through the draft adding players to better what is already there .

Rex just threw every thing out of kilter kind of like try to paddle up stream while white water rafting pretty much impossible, but i am stoked to see where the Bills are headed with this staff !!