What If Rex Never Was Hired & Schwartz was The HC ?

10 hours ago, T master said:

I know the Bills are in a good place now with the Mc Bean era firmly in place, the play off drought is over & i see good things in the future under this new regime but while reading today on Rumblings i saw a What If post about the coaching staff prior to this one that the Pegula's have now .

The post was about how after Marrone stiffed the Bills & the Bills had this kick butt D in place the coach of the unit was Jim Schwartz which had head coaching experience & has now put a Super Bowl ring on his finger . I for one was hoping they would keep him for the continuity part of him staying & through reading that article was wondering what you all thought about that ?

I know the past is the past & i am glad in the direction that the Bills are taking but do you think if the Pegula's would have put Schwartz in the HC ing position it would have been better or worse than Rex ?

These sort of “butterfly effect” questions are always tough to answer because there are so many variables.

Lets say everything is the same with Marrone leaving, Whaley staying as GM, and Schwartz as HC.

I do believe that the Bills would have a top defense.  Maybe not as high as they ranked in 2014 but still a top 10 unit.

Offensively you have a lot of questions.  Remember Orton retired at the end of the season.  There would be a huge hole at QB, because it’s certain EJ was not th answer.  If Rex wasn’t HC, there’s no guarantee that they sign Tyrod.  We could be looking at a completely different QB - who knows who that QB would be.  Whaley seemed to heavily invested in EJ - even in 2014.  Can you really see EJ or Matt Cassell winning 9 or 10 games?  

Second, we’d also be looking at a completely different offense.  A lot would depend on what Schwartz did as OC.

Third, there’s no guarantee that Buffalo still makes the trade for Shady.  Maybe Schwartz saw Kiko as a key component of his defense and didn’t want to make th deal.  We don’t know.

All in all, I think it’s possible that if Schwartz had a decent plan on offense, we might have seen playoffs a year or two earlier.  Still with no long term at QB, I still think they’d be average to slightly above average

Edited by BuffaloRush

My sense is that Schwartz and Ryan are similar; both top out as good coordinators, but don't have what it takes to be a HC.  Does McDermott?  So far I'd say he's showing signs of being able to make the transition.

The most difficult thing in pro sports; identifying a guy who will wind up being a good head coach/manager.

10 hours ago, T master said:

I know the Bills are in a good place now with the Mc Bean era firmly in place, the play off drought is over & i see good things in the future under this new regime but while reading today on Rumblings i saw a What If post about the coaching staff prior to this one that the Pegula's have now .

The post was about how after Marrone stiffed the Bills & the Bills had this kick butt D in place the coach of the unit was Jim Schwartz which had head coaching experience & has now put a Super Bowl ring on his finger . I for one was hoping they would keep him for the continuity part of him staying & through reading that article was wondering what you all thought about that ?

I know the past is the past & i am glad in the direction that the Bills are taking but do you think if the Pegula's would have put Schwartz in the HC ing position it would have been better or worse than Rex ?

Schwartz was not a good head coach with the lions. People so eaisly forger about that and think we'd be like 13-3 every year under him.

I don't know about record but I imagine Mario Williams and Marcel Dareus would still be Buffalo Bills.   I think the biggest impact would have been on Mario.  

I think his career ends quite differently. Instead of flaming out in Buffalo and then in Miami, he registers double digit sack seasons every year in that defense.   

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Schwartz was not a good head coach with the lions. People so eaisly forger about that and think we'd be like 13-3 every year under him.

He was most famous in Detroit for a postgame handshake (or non-handshake).  Good D coordinator but head coach; no thanks.

46 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

His first 3 years with the Lions were very good.  He inherited a 0-16 roster totally devoid of talent (it was Calvin Johnson, Cliff Avril and then a load of guys who shouldn't have been in the NFL) and built it in 3 years back into a playoff team.  After that they lost their way and his "play tough" mantra had resulted in some really undisciplined performances.  But people look at his pure W-L record in Detroit and think he was worse than he was.  Those first two years were about trying to just get some talent back on the roster.  That wouldn't have been an issue had he taken over in Buffalo in 2015.  He had some building blocks in place.

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Would Mario Williams play dropped off so quickly?

Would Orton would have still retired?

Would be have signed Tyrod?

Would we have traded for McCoy?

This reminds me of the announcer's "WELL!..." at the end of the 'Chickenman (he's everywhere!)' segments back on KB radio in the 60s.  ?

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Some do not even read tweets unless quoted on wall and even in this case I need to highlight it to read it since it is in all blue. <-- My head hurtz trying to read em!

I wonder if it was pasted on Packers board would it be green?

13 hours ago, T master said:

Who knows?  Schwartz did not do very well as a HC previously.  Having said that, I believe just about anybody would have been better than Rex Ryan. 

I'd take McDermott over Schwartz. That's really what it comes down to, because Schwartz would have lasted longer than Rex.

McDermott is easy to root for. He's humble, sincere, and hard working. You can tell the players respect and ADMIRE him. That comes down to him as a person, not just as a coach. Luckily he seems to be a good coach as well. Slam dunk.