Valu vs The Home Depot

Another Fan

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, Augie said:

I’m sure that’s clearly true, but does it have to be? Yes, I’m sure there are reasons..........

Personally, I’d round off more.  Maybe 31/64” isn’t absolutely necessary. So close to a simple 1/2. Can you make THAT work?  ?

Surprisingly no. It was for a magnetic lock on a door. 1/2" was just sloppy enough that a critical bolt would not seat correctly. We even tried using a 3/8" and rounding it out, no luck. 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:38 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I like Valu. If you are buying screws, nails, spray paint, etc you walk in, someone says, "may I help you" and they take you directly to the item. In and out in 10 minutes.

Went to the one near me a couple weeks ago for ant traps/bait. Had that exact scenario, I was just going to find it myself but since the employee asked, I figured why not have them show me where they were. 

19 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Surprisingly no. It was for a magnetic lock on a door. 1/2" was just sloppy enough that a critical bolt would not seat correctly. We even tried using a 3/8" and rounding it out, no luck. 

Could the bolt have been metric?

As for the debate, I prefer going to the smaller local hardware stores for things but usually find myself at the box stores for stuff because of price. 

Problem with the box stores is that in some cases you have to be careful what you buy there if the work you are doing is part of a permit. Up here things have to be CSA approved for use or have approved testing for use in Ontario under our codes. But the home depots and others around here you can find stuff (usually from China, sometimes europe) that they sell but arent approved for use here under the building code. I get people saying all the time "but I bought it at home depot, why would they sell it?" I usually say that if they didnt have a permit or it wasn't part of a permit, it doesn't matter what is used cause no one is checking, but if it's for work done that requires a permit, it must be done with approved products.

I have a small (used to be) family run hardware store at the end of my block that I like to go to when they are open. One day I was in there and found a replacement door latch for the older style doors I had in my house (the ones that used skeleton keys). I assumed you couldn't get them anymore and was prepared to swap it from another door I removed from a different location. Even the woman who worked there didnt know they sold them. You can find some cool things at the non chain stores. But somethings are better at the bigger places. This store sold paint, but it wasn't a known brand, used it in a few rooms and it wasn't good. Went to home depot and bought behr which covered great and know I almost always use it

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I think the point was that the designer could use more “standard” sizes.

5 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Its possibly but the installation instructions specifically called for that size drill bit. 

What country was it from? Do they even exist anymore?

Lol, gotta love when a manufacturer specifies sizes that are not standard

Did the manufacturer also advertise being the leading manufacturer of odd size drill bits?

I go to the Valu on Transit(between French and Losson) at least once a week.  Never greeted with a "how can I help you"...which is usually a good thing since most of the store is staffed with teens.  Last time I asked one of them where the blue windshield wash was, he gave me a blank stare.

Probably why I go out of my way to Lowes.  IMO, HD can't hold a candle to Lowes.  Usually my only trips to HD are for tool rentals.

6 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

What country was it from? Do they even exist anymore?

Lol, gotta love when a manufacturer specifies sizes that are not standard

Did the manufacturer also advertise being the leading manufacturer of odd size drill bits?

Your definition of 'standard' wouldn't measure up in a number of trades related occupations.

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Your definition of 'standard' wouldn't measure up in a number of trades related occupations.

I'm sure to a machinist, 31/64ths could be considered 'standard' but that's doesn't make the size 'standard' 

Typically a machinist also wouldn't be running out to get a bit from a big box/chain/mom & pop hardware store when they need a bit.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:38 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

I like Valu. If you are buying screws, nails, spray paint, etc you walk in, someone says, "may I help you" and they take you directly to the item. In and out in 10 minutes.

Ace is interesting... the one in Clarence and Batavia (same franchise) has terrible CS, but the one in Niagara Falls (same franchise as the other two) has very personal, good CS. They have a few more locations in the area as well. If I "need" to hit an Ace, I go to the one in Lockport. That store has good customer service.

I never think to go to Hector's. I know my husband will shop there occasionally.

There is also True Value.  Ed Young's on Main Street is an interesting (expensive) hardware store. I see the plumbing truck out occasionally.

Ed Young's always saves me. They have all the stuff the other stores won't carry. 

On 6/12/2018 at 2:12 PM, Steptide said:

Are we talking about Tru value vs home depot? 

Home depot does sell good quality like cub cadet, but I understand your point 

I always wonder when the big chain/box stores sell quality brands if your getting the real deal or the cheap version of that brand.

I believe it was Walmart that would pay the name brands for the badges/stickers to put on cheaper products so they could sell the name brand.

I know around here one of the Big name BBQ companies sell a cheaper Chinese made version in the chain/box stores but in the specialty stores sell their locally made higher quality versions.

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I always wonder when the big chain/box stores sell quality brands if your getting the real deal or the cheap version of that brand.

I believe it was Walmart that would pay the name brands for the badges/stickers to put on cheaper products so they could sell the name brand.

I know around here one of the Big name BBQ companies sell a cheaper Chinese made version in the chain/box stores but in the specialty stores sell their locally made higher quality versions.

A friend of mine used to work for John Deere and told me the box stores would get the lesser quality mowers than a JD dealer would have. 

My brother went to Valu today to get  a piece of plexiglas . They told him $64. He went to Hector's  down Clinton in Kaisertown and got it for $32.