Valu vs The Home Depot

Another Fan

I have an ACE and a Home Depot very close to my house.  The ACE is a bit on the small side though.  That limited shelf space really hurts them in terms of what they can carry.  If not for that, I'd probably go there more often.

11 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I found a certain size drill bit I needed at Ace that Home Depot did not carry. 

the home depot by us has fantastic customer service, but i just don't like what they carry most of the time.  i end up getting what i want at lowes typically.

Hector's probably comes the closest in WNY to an old time hardware store.  Caring for the household of an elderly relative had me running to the Maple Rd. near N. Forest location often.  Valu looks at times like it's trying to be Home Depot with a (un)healthy dose of Dollar General crap thrown in.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

I like Valu. If you are buying screws, nails, spray paint, etc you walk in, someone says, "may I help you" and they take you directly to the item. In and out in 10 minutes.

Ace is interesting... the one in Clarence and Batavia (same franchise) has terrible CS, but the one in Niagara Falls (same franchise as the other two) has very personal, good CS. They have a few more locations in the area as well. If I "need" to hit an Ace, I go to the one in Lockport. That store has good customer service.

I never think to go to Hector's. I know my husband will shop there occasionally.

There is also True Value.  Ed Young's on Main Street is an interesting (expensive) hardware store. I see the plumbing truck out occasionally.

I prefer Home Depot over Lowe's.  While both aren't known for customer service, the Home Depot associates at least acknowledge the customers in their presence in Pennsylvania. ? 

I like shopping at a local Ace Hardware.  For one, they sell Stihl products which are superior to any of the stuff they sell at Home Depot or Lowe's.  Two, they stock a lot more parts for tractors, snowblowers and gas grills than a big box.  That comes in handy when online ordering won't beat the snowstorm or your tractor is marooned in a half cut yard.  

I buy basic tools like wrenches and sockets from Harbor Freight.  If you're a mechanic, they probably don't cut it but for general maintenance of your vehicles or house, you can get a lot of mileage out of Pittsburgh tools for a good price.  

Are we talking about Tru value vs home depot? 

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I prefer Home Depot over Lowe's.  While both aren't known for customer service, the Home Depot associates at least acknowledge the customers in their presence in Pennsylvania. ? 

I like shopping at a local Ace Hardware.  For one, they sell Stihl products which are superior to any of the stuff they sell at Home Depot or Lowe's.  Two, they stock a lot more parts for tractors, snowblowers and gas grills than a big box.  That comes in handy when online ordering won't beat the snowstorm or your tractor is marooned in a half cut yard.  

I buy basic tools like wrenches and sockets from Harbor Freight.  If you're a mechanic, they probably don't cut it but for general maintenance of your vehicles or house, you can get a lot of mileage out of Pittsburgh tools for a good price.  

Home depot does sell good quality like cub cadet, but I understand your point 

I've had good and bad experiences at the Home Depot, on the bad I went to one that their app/web site had they had a certain wall mirror in stock. I asked an employee for help locating the mirror. She walked away and never heard from her afterwards. At that same store I saw another employee who couldn't locate it either yet she called in to another store about 20 minutes away and see if they had it in stock, they did. So I went to that store and sure enough not where the other mirrors were and was ready to quit when an employee there helped me locate the mirror that were in a special stocked area. I know people will cry a mirror? Truth is those things are expensive and was able to get a 42 inch mirror for $25.00 which is a steal. Other times have had good experiences is when I couldn't locate a hedge trimmer because again they had them set aside in a sale section. Yet the best is one I needed help getting a certain sized bolt, usually this is when you want a small mom and pop store yet the guy working that aisle was able to size the bolt and find me a replacement within 5 minutes of dealing with him. Yet I do like Valu too but because of location and amount of things to get I usually stick to Home Depot. 

2 hours ago, Steptide said:

Are we talking about Tru value vs home depot? 

Home depot does sell good quality like cub cadet, but I understand your point 

Ironically, I worked at a True Value from when I was 12 to 22.  Back in the day before the Internet and even Home Depot, you had to first learn how to fix things yourself, then be able to communicate it to customers.  Even had to mix paint using just a book and cut keys with human hands on the machine. 

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Ironically, I worked at a True Value from when I was 12 to 22.  Back in the day before the Internet and even Home Depot, you had to first learn how to fix things yourself, then be able to communicate it to customers.  Even had to mix paint using just a book and cut keys with human hands on the machine. 

The True value stores around me (rochester) all went out of buisness. The product selection there was terrible. Everytime I went in there I felt like all they ever had was the bare minimum. Plus if I remember correctly the prices were pretty high. I appreciate small businesses and mom and pop type places, but sometimes big box stores makes alot of sense 

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I've had good and bad experiences at the Home Depot, on the bad I went to one that their app/web site had they had a certain wall mirror in stock. I asked an employee for help locating the mirror. She walked away and never heard from her afterwards. At that same store I saw another employee who couldn't locate it either yet she called in to another store about 20 minutes away and see if they had it in stock, they did. So I went to that store and sure enough not where the other mirrors were and was ready to quit when an employee there helped me locate the mirror that were in a special stocked area. I know people will cry a mirror? Truth is those things are expensive and was able to get a 42 inch mirror for $25.00 which is a steal. Other times have had good experiences is when I couldn't locate a hedge trimmer because again they had them set aside in a sale section. Yet the best is one I needed help getting a certain sized bolt, usually this is when you want a small mom and pop store yet the guy working that aisle was able to size the bolt and find me a replacement within 5 minutes of dealing with him. Yet I do like Valu too but because of location and amount of things to get I usually stick to Home Depot. 

When I go to Home Depot or Lowe’s I look up the item on line and it will say where it is.  Bay 8 of Aisle 12, or whatever.  I have had good luck with that tactic. The last time I was in Home Depot I was looking for a can of spray foam insulation. I couldn’t find it so I pulled out my phone and looked it up. It was on the end of an aisle about ten feet from where I was standing. I felt foolish, but nobody knew about it. Until now. 

I get to choose between them all but when I walk into a Valu or Ace there is always someone to help you out. Lowes, which I have owned stock in for years is such a disaster now. Plus, they are dumping Jimmy Johnson.

33 minutes ago, Bob Lamb said:

I get to choose between them all but when I walk into a Valu or Ace there is always someone to help you out. Lowes, which I have owned stock in for years is such a disaster now. Plus, they are dumping Jimmy Johnson.

Marvin Ellison takes over as CEO of Lowes on July 2.

He did fairly well at Penny's, which is a disaster, and was at Home Depot for twelve years before that.

Stock is up 15% since late May.

16 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

When I go to Home Depot or Lowe’s I look up the item on line and it will say where it is.  Bay 8 of Aisle 12, or whatever.  I have had good luck with that tactic. The last time I was in Home Depot I was looking for a can of spray foam insulation. I couldn’t find it so I pulled out my phone and looked it up. It was on the end of an aisle about ten feet from where I was standing. I felt foolish, but nobody knew about it. Until now. 

Oh I know about that feature as it helped me find some wood dowels a few weeks back, yet with the trimmer it told me see a store associate. 

16 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

i absolutely love this option.  i use it every time in in those stores.