Summit Predictions

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

While there is certainly some truth to the idea that people are looking to be offended and will be simply for that reason alone, the phenomenon cuts both ways as there is no shortage of those on the right who always have their antennae up and ready to find offense. 

But I can't speak for why anyone else who may be offended. I've stated why I'm offended as have the veterans in my family. If you and others can't see how that's possible, it's no skin off my back and we certainly don't have to qualify that viewpoint to anyone thinking it's just more liberal outrage. 

When did I ever say I didn't see how it was possible? Strawman arguments don't last long around here.

However, the culture of feigned outrage over every little thing dilutes those who may actually have some reason to be offended. Back in 2011, Sarah Palin made some comment about the crosshair pic hysteria, using the obscure term 'blood libel'. The libs feigned even more outrage about the term, claiming it was anti-Semitic and painful due to bullschiff that happened in the middle ages.

I knew it was a stupid statement when I heard him say it. To get upset and offended over such a comment is silly, veteran or not.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

When did I ever say I didn't see how it was possible? Strawman arguments don't last long around here.

However, the culture of feigned outrage over every little thing dilutes those who may actually have some reason to be offended. Back in 2011, Sarah Palin made some comment about the crosshair pic hysteria, using the obscure term 'blood libel'. The libs feigned even more outrage about the term, claiming it was anti-Semitic and painful due to bullschiff that happened in the middle ages.

I knew it was a stupid statement when I heard him say it. To get upset and offended over such a comment is silly, veteran or not.

Not a straw man in the least. You said the whole problem was liberals just wanting to find something to be offended by, including Trump's morning bowel movement, iirc. That suggests you can't see how it's possible for someone to be offended otherwise. Know what else doesn't last long around here? Pretending you didn't suggest something just because you didn't use precise words when the words you did use suggest the very thing you claim you never said. 

I agree with the culture of feigned outrage especially as it serves to dilute and undercut legitimate claims. 

But you and I don't get to arbitrate who can be offended by what. I find it ironic that in itself seems to offend you. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not a straw man in the least. You said the whole problem was liberals just wanting to find something to be offended by, including Trump's morning bowel movement, iirc. That suggests you can't see how it's possible for someone to be offended otherwise. Know what else doesn't last long around here? Pretending you didn't suggest something just because you didn't use precise words when the words you did use suggest the very thing you claim you never said. 

I agree with the culture of feigned outrage especially as it serves to dilute and undercut legitimate claims. 

But you and I don't get to arbitrate who can be offended by what. I find it ironic that in itself seems to offend you. 

You invented a position that I did not take, and then commented on it. That's a strawman argument.

You're right, neither one of us get to determine who can be offended. I never did such a thing (and, frankly, neither did you). Pointing out that it's silly to get offended by so little is not 'arbitrating' anything.

3 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

You invented a position that I did not take, and then commented on it. That's a strawman argument.

You're right, neither one of us get to determine who can be offended. I never did such a thing (and, frankly, neither did you). Pointing out that it's silly to get offended by so little is not 'arbitrating' anything.

Did you or did you not take the position that the whole problem was liberals just looking to be offended by something Trump said? Does that not suggest my offense to his remarks wasn't legitimate? And you do it again in this post: "Pointing out that it's silly to get offended by so little" when what he said today may not be considered "little" in the least by others and certainly not me. 

As to my statement about not getting to be the arbitrators of what's offensive and what's not, that was a summation point; not an accusation about a position you didn't take. But I can see how my words may have been misconstrued. Apologies.  Hope that clears it up for you. 

27 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

K-9's straw men aren't even thought out enough to be 3rd-rate straw men

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

In that case, he should be faulted for it. Like I said,  it's my understanding the etiquette is based on the circumstance, including country and who is doing the saluting. Allies are one thing, enemies another, etc.  In the case of N Korea, it's easy to see why he was advised not to. But, stupid is as stupid does as they say. 

Does that include bowing as well?

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Both arms in traction?

Then no one salutes.

Actually, I think there's one case...I think Medal of Honor holders never have to initiate a salute.  (Don't know if that holds in other militaries - VC awards, for instance.)

Just now, Doc Brown said:

I rolled my eyes when conservatives balked at Obama for bowing to Saudi Arabia and Japan.  I rolled my eyes when I hear the left balk about Trump saluting a North Korean officer along with his flattery of Kim Jong Un.  It's not that important.

I agree Doc. Both sides do it. I just think it's pretty silly. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well, for starters, I can't think of a single instance where the junior officer doesn't salute first...

It was an awkward moment. It looked like the NK officer started to salute and then didn't complete it but Trump had already started to salute back. The officer then saluted and then they shook hands. I think Trump deserves to be cut a little slack here. He's saluted and returns salutes all the time and I'm sure it's automatic. At least he returns salutes, unlike #44.

I rolled my eyes when conservatives criticized Obama for bowing to Saudi Arabia and Japan.  I rolled my eyes when I hear the left criticize Trump for saluting a North Korean officer along with his flattery of Kim Jong Un.  It's not that important.

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I rolled my eyes when conservatives criticized Obama for bowing to Saudi Arabia and Japan.  I rolled my eyes when I hear the left criticize Trump for saluting a North Korean officer along with his flattery of Kim Jong Un.  It's not that important.

The US does not dip its flag or feel its Presidents are under compulsion to bow or grovel.

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

The US does not dip its flag or feel its Presidents are under compulsion to bow or grovel.

I know the reasoning.  I just think it's fricken stupid that people get worked up about it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Geez Doc, your poor eyes must be worn out.

They've "rolled" more than Eddie Cantor..............................(old man reference..;))

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I know the reasoning.  I just think it's fricken stupid that people get worked up about it.

yes, America used to think highly of itself, and people want that again, that's why Trump won

reason # 1,357

55 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Well, for starters, I can't think of a single instance where the junior officer doesn't salute first...

Yawn.

All these ceremonial formalities tip my "Give-A-Schiff-Meter" about .001 on a 10 scale.

Edited by OJABBA

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

K-9's straw men aren't even thought out enough to be 3rd-rate straw men

Be nice. I appreciate his opinions, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. He expresses himself well without going full retard like Gator, Gary, Grant, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Be nice. I appreciate his opinions, regardless of whether or not I agree with them. He expresses himself well without going full retard like Gator, Gary, Grant, etc.

usually ignored but not with any sense of reward

i tried un-ignoring the last few days and that was a mistake