"So You're Telling Me There's (Not) a Chance Bills Aren't Awful"- Rotoworld's Fantasy and Season Preview

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The offense is a different story. It sucked last year, and will likely suck this year...at least to start. Daboll is the huge difference here as I think he can get McCarron or Peterman or Allen to get the ball out quick to receivers

i don't understand this notion that out O will be bad this year.  I get it was bad last year..  However, we did dump the component holding us back, Hotrod.  How could we not improve?

I Look for our O to h ave the same emphasis on ball control and perhaps even 2015/2016 emphasis on the run game.  D will handle their side so we won't need 30 points and 300 yards passing to win.

so if our D does improve and our O improves a little bit, PLAYOFFS AGAIN BABY !!  Thats how I see it.I really don't care  care what this Yahoo click whore types.

Not sure how this vid got here and i can't delete it. It is a good one though.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, Doc said:

That he slams the Bills for making the playoffs shows he's a moron. 

...there is safety as you type from under your desk and never have to admit how wrong you were.........credibility remains intact......how come?.......

I dont see the concerns at OL and WR.  Not saying they will be great units but compared to last year I believe the WR core will be better.  The OL lost Wood a couple of years ago and Groy stepped in and there was no notable falloff.  Also a 4 year starter have ben brought in at center.  Richie may not be so easy to replace but at 35 there was no guarantee that his play would stay the same.  

The biggest question on O will be the QB play. Could it be much worse?  The team was was 27 in TDs and 31 in yards.  

13 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

I dont see the concerns at OL and WR.  Not saying they will be great units but compared to last year I believe the WR core will be better.  The OL lost Wood a couple of years ago and Groy stepped in and there was no notable falloff.  Also a 4 year starter have ben brought in at center.  Richie may not be so easy to replace but at 35 there was no guarantee that his play would stay the same.  

The biggest question on O will be the QB play. Could it be much worse?  The team was was 27 in TDs and 31 in yards.  

The 4 year starter was offered back up money, and his current team was happy to let him go...

The OL might turn out Ok, but I think people can have concerns with the loss of a couple of decent players from last year and some questionable replacements brought in...

Edited by Aussie Joe

49 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...there is safety as you type from under your desk and never have to admit how wrong you were.........credibility remains intact......how come?.......

Because no one holds them accountable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

It's not about accuracy, it's about clicks/views.  Best example is the ESPN Power Rankings.  Every week there are one or two WTF positionings, not because they believe the teams should be there.  Rather so that people will be outraged and load up that 'Comments' section.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

...pretty sad isn't it Doc?....I'd bet Huntley, Brinkley, Murrow and Cronkite all asked to be moved down to 12 feet from their current 6 feet out of embarrassment.......a once great bastion of journalists are more appropriately "urinalists"today IMO....NO accountability period........

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

The 4 year starter was offered back up money, and his current team was happy to let him go...

The OL might turn out Ok, but I think some people can have concerns with the loss of some decent players from last year and some questionable replacements brought in...

Change should always bring some concern, I get that.  But at the end of the day they have guys on the roster who have been ok.  Groy was able to step in for Wood and when Miller started for the Bills they were the #1 in rushing.  Its not like plan "A" is to start 2 rookies.  

35 minutes ago, The Red King said:

It's not about accuracy, it's about clicks/views.  Best example is the ESPN Power Rankings.  Every week there are one or two WTF positionings, not because they believe the teams should be there.  Rather so that people will be outraged and load up that 'Comments' section.

Exactly.

This is how the internet works.

Oh my god! Is this what I did when I was homer?  Just blindly attack writer’s opinions who didn’t say the Bills were awesome???

1) I hated the Allen pick because the overwhelming evidence is Qbs like him with his shortcomings fail at the nfl level at an insane rate.  It’s a pick that either the Bills are complete geniuses or the biggest morons for choosing a guy who couldn’t complete 57% at Wyoming,  

2). Benjamin was a former 1st rounder who is a monster.  Carolina wasn’t exactly loaded with receivers when they traded him.  His production has gone down every year and he makes Sammy look durable.

even when he was really healthy, he wasn’t great at getting separation.  If you can’t get separation in this league, your days are number. See Dez Bryant.

3). Zay had a disappointing rookie season to be kind.  I won’t give up on a second year wr yet but his offseason wasn’t exactly off to a good start.

the rest of the wrs are scrapheap players.  It blows my mind they didn’t take a chance on a chance on a high upside receiver late in the draft.

4) McCoy is a monster but he is approaching that age where rbs fall off a cliff.  Add to that defenses will have zero respect for the Bills receivers’ speed and there will be little room for him to operate.

5) they are already on their 2nd OC in two years because they had a disaster last year.  I know some people want to blame Tyrod for everything and he certainly his faults, but they forced a square peg into a round hole.  The new OC doesn’t exactly have an amazing resume plus went to St. Francis yuck. :)

we we have a defensive coach who has the final say on personnel decisions.  I will blindly trust them on defense.  But their offensive evaluations hasn’t been great so far.  If we win this year, it will be a lot like the Jauron ball we played last year.  

12 hours ago, Midwest1981 said:

Evan Silva, a notorious critic of Josh Allen ("notorious critic" is kind), as well as practically every move the Bills made this offseason, is absolutely in the camp that Buffalo is a bonafide contender for the top overall pick in 2019.  His opinion isn't isolated, as evidenced by the MMQB article that has Buffalo going 2-14.  I personally DO expect a down year, given the shuffled offensive line, a WR/TE core that most Bills' fans admit can be improved upon, and a brutal schedule- particularly in the first-half (5 road games; 3 home games are against quality teams in the Chargers, Titans, and Patriots).  But this merciless analysis has to represent a worst-case scenario...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/80384/59/offseason-low-down

Some excerpts (notice that "made the Playoffs" is in quotes):

"The Bills traded up for Josh Allen at No. 7 despite a preponderance of evidence suggesting he is a low-probability prospect, most notably inaccuracy quantifiable by Allen’s low completion rates at every level of football and lack of college dominance, where Allen failed to beat out Packers rookie camp arm Nick Stevens (Colorado State) and projected 2019 7th-round/UDFA Brett Rypien (Boise State) for all-Mountain West honors. Allen’s howitzer arm and 86th-percentile athleticism give him upside in the same way Jake Locker, Kyle Boller, JaMarcus Russell, DeShone Kizer, and Paxton Lynch's did. When Allen does play – and he is likely to see the field this year – he’ll have to overcome the NFL’s least-talented supporting cast. Nevertheless, the fact that Allen is likely to make ten-plus starts as a rookie puts him on two-quarterback-league radars.

Kelvin Benjamin was acquired by Buffalo for a 2018 third-round pick last Halloween. He predictably made minimal impact as a Bill, scoring one touchdown and clearing 45 yards once in seven games. Benjamin battled a series of knee injuries in Carolina and continued to in Buffalo, tearing his meniscus a month after the trade and requiring offseason surgery. Benjamin doesn’t get open, can’t create after the catch, has always been inefficient with his targets, and has bad knees. Not only has Josh Hermsmeyer’s Game Speed data shown Benjamin runs at a league-basement pace for his position, Next Gen Stats revealed Benjamin’s speed was below average for tight ends last year. Next Gen also ranked Benjamin dead last and second to last in yards of separation at target in each of the last two years. In what projects as a poor Bills passing game, Benjamin’s lone fantasy appeal is projected target volume. 

2018 Vegas Win Total

The Bills’ Win Total opened at 6.5 with -130 odds on the over. Perhaps aimed at capturing public bettors who recall the Bills “making the playoffs,” it was a surprisingly high total for a team that finished 2017 with a -57 point differential and went a regression-bound 6-2 in one-score games. Buffalo “made the playoffs” due to the weakness of the AFC and a few lucky ball bounces. A game-winning 49-yard touchdown by Bengals WR Tyler Boyd bounced the Ravens from the postseason in Week 17, while the Chargers were a far superior team. The Bills have the least talent in the AFC East, and their non-division slate consists of the rising AFC South, tough NFC North, Chargers (home), and Ravens (away). Buffalo half-stepped its 2017 tank and accidentally ran into an ultimately-detrimental Wild Card berth. I’m taking under 6.5 wins, and wagering the Bills don’t make that mistake again."

I expect this coaching staff to have the team ready/prepared and compete every week  no matter who we play ,  I have no idea how many games will win , but I remember this time last year these so called experts were pretty much saying the same thing , 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

4) McCoy is a monster but he is approaching that age where rbs fall off a cliff.  Add to that defenses will have zero respect for the Bills receivers’ speed and there will be little room for him to operate.

A few defences came out and said the key to beating the Bills is to make TT be a QB, nothing was said about covering the slow receivers.  

I’m sorry but the coaching is way too good and the talent level is too high, even with our holes, to go 2-14.

Absolute worst case scenario i can see us going 6-10 and that’s with a good amount of injuries and all QB’a being horrible. 

6-10 as an absolute worst case scenario can also be said probably about 15-20 teams in this league as well. 

11 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

A few defences came out and said the key to beating the Bills is to make TT be a QB, nothing was said about covering the slow receivers.  

Oh I agree with the Tyrod point.  But it was much easier to make Tyrod being a qb with our receivers last year than with Watkins and Woods.  Our qbs are complete unknowns and on paper, it doesn’t seem like our wrs will elevate them.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Oh I agree with the Tyrod point.  But it was much easier to make Tyrod being a qb with our receivers last year than with Watkins and Woods.  Our qbs are complete unknowns and on paper, it doesn’t seem like our wrs will elevate them.

And with those guys in 2016 the Bills were 30th in passing yards....

The Pats are going into 2018 with Hogan as their primary deep threat and there doesnt seem to be any concern about that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

And with those guys in 2016 the Bills were 30th in passing yards....

The Pats are going into 2018 with Hogan as their primary deep threat and there doesnt seem to be any concern about that.

I don’t think we are really arguing about anything.  Tyrod wasn’t a good passing qb. AJ McCarron was sitting as a free agent for a while.  He’s only played for one of the greatest college teams ever and a few games for a loaded Cincy team (they only lost one game when Dalton got hurt that year and had a top 5 receiving core). Allen facing a huge learning curve.  And our wrs might be he worse in the nfl.  Not really a stretch to think this team might struggle offensively.