"So You're Telling Me There's (Not) a Chance Bills Aren't Awful"- Rotoworld's Fantasy and Season Preview

Evan Silva, a notorious critic of Josh Allen ("notorious critic" is kind), as well as practically every move the Bills made this offseason, is absolutely in the camp that Buffalo is a bonafide contender for the top overall pick in 2019.  His opinion isn't isolated, as evidenced by the MMQB article that has Buffalo going 2-14.  I personally DO expect a down year, given the shuffled offensive line, a WR/TE core that most Bills' fans admit can be improved upon, and a brutal schedule- particularly in the first-half (5 road games; 3 home games are against quality teams in the Chargers, Titans, and Patriots).  But this merciless analysis has to represent a worst-case scenario...

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/80384/59/offseason-low-down

Some excerpts (notice that "made the Playoffs" is in quotes):

"The Bills traded up for Josh Allen at No. 7 despite a preponderance of evidence suggesting he is a low-probability prospect, most notably inaccuracy quantifiable by Allen’s low completion rates at every level of football and lack of college dominance, where Allen failed to beat out Packers rookie camp arm Nick Stevens (Colorado State) and projected 2019 7th-round/UDFA Brett Rypien (Boise State) for all-Mountain West honors. Allen’s howitzer arm and 86th-percentile athleticism give him upside in the same way Jake Locker, Kyle Boller, JaMarcus Russell, DeShone Kizer, and Paxton Lynch's did. When Allen does play – and he is likely to see the field this year – he’ll have to overcome the NFL’s least-talented supporting cast. Nevertheless, the fact that Allen is likely to make ten-plus starts as a rookie puts him on two-quarterback-league radars.

Kelvin Benjamin was acquired by Buffalo for a 2018 third-round pick last Halloween. He predictably made minimal impact as a Bill, scoring one touchdown and clearing 45 yards once in seven games. Benjamin battled a series of knee injuries in Carolina and continued to in Buffalo, tearing his meniscus a month after the trade and requiring offseason surgery. Benjamin doesn’t get open, can’t create after the catch, has always been inefficient with his targets, and has bad knees. Not only has Josh Hermsmeyer’s Game Speed data shown Benjamin runs at a league-basement pace for his position, Next Gen Stats revealed Benjamin’s speed was below average for tight ends last year. Next Gen also ranked Benjamin dead last and second to last in yards of separation at target in each of the last two years. In what projects as a poor Bills passing game, Benjamin’s lone fantasy appeal is projected target volume. 

2018 Vegas Win Total

The Bills’ Win Total opened at 6.5 with -130 odds on the over. Perhaps aimed at capturing public bettors who recall the Bills “making the playoffs,” it was a surprisingly high total for a team that finished 2017 with a -57 point differential and went a regression-bound 6-2 in one-score games. Buffalo “made the playoffs” due to the weakness of the AFC and a few lucky ball bounces. A game-winning 49-yard touchdown by Bengals WR Tyler Boyd bounced the Ravens from the postseason in Week 17, while the Chargers were a far superior team. The Bills have the least talent in the AFC East, and their non-division slate consists of the rising AFC South, tough NFC North, Chargers (home), and Ravens (away). Buffalo half-stepped its 2017 tank and accidentally ran into an ultimately-detrimental Wild Card berth. I’m taking under 6.5 wins, and wagering the Bills don’t make that mistake again."

Edited by Midwest1981

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Good lord. What did the bills ever do to this guy? 

One of Brandon's 'indiscretions'?

OK, troops.  Revisit this thread at season's end, and see how close the 'expert' was.  If wildly inaccurate, then Evan's handlers/bosses deserve public ridicule.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I felt dirty after reading this. More pessimistic than even some of the posters on here...

The first time I saw the playoff remarks in quotes I knew he’d fit right in around here with a certain handful. 

• Like (+1) 2

This is someone who is purely stats driven. So it's no great surprise he would go down that pessimistic route, as there aren't enough 'stats' on many of the Bills to base much of anything on.

The thing I did find rather ironic, is that he's blasting Benjamin for being slow, yet ignoring the obvious 'injured' reasons for that being the case. As I said, purely 'stats' driven.

Seems to me that it's a fundamental problem with NFL commentary these days, in that so much of it is driven by fantasy football stuff, which in fairness to Silva, is what I believe the article has its foundations in.

Tbh, unless it's someone on the D, there likely aren't going to be many FF stars for the Bills, outside of Shady, at least that can be identified right now.

It’s slow season for anyone covering sports and the NFL in particular. Go look at the article in the Detroit Free Press, a writer went on a rant about how Patricia is in danger of losing his players already. Apparently the writer doesn’t like that MP makes his players run, even worse they run in front of the media members, he is worried what goes on when they aren’t there! 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure things are much different last year. This team is going to win some games because of a very good defense that creates turnovers at a ridiculous rate. The weakest link on that defense, just so happened to be the heart of the defense, and that was Preston Brown. He was replaced by a athletic freak of a player in Edmunds. Even with growing pains, Edmunds will be better from day 1 simply based on athleticism and size. Plus the addition of a real 1 technique in Star should make a big difference. We also lacked sacks, and while I don't think Trent Murphy is some elite sack guy, what it does it makes the defensive line rotation much better, which should keep guys fresh and allow them to get after the quarterback. Instead of the rotation being Yarborough and some guy named Nordy...its going to be Murphy to Lawson. 

The offense is a different story. It sucked last year, and will likely suck this year...at least to start. Daboll is the huge difference here as I think he can get McCarron or Peterman or Allen to get the ball out quick to receivers. (I really hope Allen sits the first 8 games) The offensive line is not good, but I do think Wood and Incognito were very overrated...Wood more than Richie...but Richie looked awful at times last year. To me, Wood has been bad for a few years now and he was never great.  

My point...if you don't feel like reading all of that, is that we made the playoffs because of an opportunistic defense that is now better. Our offense was bad and will likely still be bad, but I think our offensive coordinator and the new system will make a difference.  This team could go 4-12 or could go 10-6. Not much different from last year...it will take a few lucky breaks and opportunistic times to make this work. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Silva is clown shoes and he goes out of his way now to try and ish all over the Bills. Why? Because he gives garbage take and our fan base really doesnt tolerate it, so we fire back and now mr. Sensitive tries nonstop to rip on the Bills.

I tweeted at him that it's not that Bills care that you think they are the worst, it's more or less him having the worst takes about the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Not sure things are much different last year. This team is going to win some games because of a very good defense that creates turnovers at a ridiculous rate. The weakest link on that defense, just so happened to be the heart of the defense, and that was Preston Brown. He was replaced by a athletic freak of a player in Edmunds. Even with growing pains, Edmunds will be better from day 1 simply based on athleticism and size. Plus the addition of a real 1 technique in Star should make a big difference. We also lacked sacks, and while I don't think Trent Murphy is some elite sack guy, what it does it makes the defensive line rotation much better, which should keep guys fresh and allow them to get after the quarterback. Instead of the rotation being Yarborough and some guy named Nordy...its going to be Murphy to Lawson. 

The offense is a different story. It sucked last year, and will likely suck this year...at least to start. Daboll is the huge difference here as I think he can get McCarron or Peterman or Allen to get the ball out quick to receivers. (I really hope Allen sits the first 8 games) The offensive line is not good, but I do think Wood and Incognito were very overrated...Wood more than Richie...but Richie looked awful at times last year. To me, Wood has been bad for a few years now and he was never great.  

My point...if you don't feel like reading all of that, is that we made the playoffs because of an opportunistic defense that is now better. Our offense was bad and will likely still be bad, but I think our offensive coordinator and the new system will make a difference.  This team could go 4-12 or could go 10-6. Not much different from last year...it will take a few lucky breaks and opportunistic times to make this work. 

The weakest link last year Was the run D after they traded Dareus. 

• Like (+1) 1

i am not going the narrative that the bills will be one of the worst teams in the league.   The defense should be better than last year.  As weak as the wide receivers looks they will could have a healthy Benjamin for the season.  The qb play will be better.  Sure it maybe a transition year but to say the team won't be in the 6-10 range is kind of lazy 

Just another guy with a poor opinion of the Bills and I don't care.

There are certainly spots on the roster to worry about.  But there are some strengths on the roster that barely got mentioned by Silva.

The D looks improved.  The O has a lot of questions with a new OC, QB, and OL.  We'll see.

I think it is a good article...just cause it does not slurp the Bills does not mean it wrong. I am terrified of Josh Allen, rooting like hell for him, but i don't think he gets it done. Silva is a analytics/stats guy..and the numbers do stare the Bills were fortunate last year and bound for a regression..much like the Raiders numbers did the year before last. Now, there is a legitimate argument that numbers/stats do not tell the whole story..and especially in such a short season that the NFL is..but I tend to trust them.

I hope I am wrong..especially the first month as it appears I will be at 4 of the first 5 games...but think it will be a long year for the fellas.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The issue is that the Bills have been at best a middling team for nearly two decades.  You can throw on top of that that the QB position is in heavy transition with three completely unproven players, an o-line that is now in the midst of a major shuffle and a coach that still has not proven himself over time.  The mix of these factors would weigh heavily on the side of a poor season for the Bills when viewed from the outside.

The Bills best hope is that they have a very solid D and they get at least average production out of the offense.  If so we are probably looking at another 8-8 type season.  Anything better than this will largely rest on getting one or two breaks and getting better than average production out of the QB position.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1