Josh Allen story

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just wanted to expand on this a bit - and again, just talking about EJ here, not trying to make Allen comparisons. 

People loved EJ as a fine young man, but we were also hopeful about EJ's potential as a QB.   We forget that.  Read-option was all the rage at the time, and respected QB pundits like Greg Cosell saw positives: " "When you look at Manuel, there's a lot to work with. There's size, there's arm strength, there's athleticism, and I think he can run read-option stuff," Cosell said. "There are concerns here, but then when you look at some of the positives -- stronger arm, the movement, at times he was very composed -- I'm very anxious to see where he gets drafted, because he gives you that read-option factor."  

He was seen as solid (for a rookie) in two preseason performances before going out with a knee injury.  (People like to remember the the hospitality tent and the London game with 3 turnovers in 3 minutes, but those were 2 years later)  Everyone conveniently forgets he had 78% completions during his first 2 preseason games and hope was high that he would develop into The Man as our QB.  He looked pretty dang good in his 2nd game as a rookie against Carolina, in fact 4 or so of his rookie season games were promising.   He looked pretty awful in others, but that's not atypical for rookies.

I'm not questioning the judgement of people who saw him at FSU and didn't like the pick.  I'm just pointing out that others loved the pick, and that the narrative that seems to be being crafted that EJM was universally held to be a sucky pick from the start given no chance to succeed by anyone, nor ever showed any promise on a football field, is false.  Just like the narrative that we all loved him as a guy and hated him as a football player.  It's revisionist, folks.

i'll be perfectly honest. I hated the pick when It happened.... but I was really excited for EJ after his first 2 games. he lost to the pats 23-21 in the opener and honestly easily could have won that game. I remember stevie dropping a crucial 3rd down late in that game that would have put them in scoring range and made life much harder on the pats..... and then he had the Carolina game the very next week when he slung it for 296 yds and the game winner. I honestly thought we had hit on a qb finally. I understand that was obviously really premature and foolish but his first 2 games were seriously promising.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

46 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Now I'm not suggesting that it will be a bigger disaster than Challenger, but unless NASA has hired Megamind Chan Gailey, this effort will be worse than 5 Challengers.     

KEE-rist!  With Buddy 'Cornpone' Nix as the 'Voice of Mission Control'.

23 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'll be perfectly honest. I hated the pick when It happened.... but I was really excited for EJ after his first 2 games. he lost to the pats 23-21 in the opener and honestly easily could have won that game. I remember stevie dropping a crucial 3rd down late in that game that would have put them in scoring range and made life much harder on the pats..... and then he had the Carolina game the very next week when he slung it for 296 yds and the game winner. I honestly thought we had hit on a qb finally. I understand that was obviously really premature and foolish but his first 2 games were seriously promising.

Yep...actually I thought his entire rookie season showed some promise.  He was up-and-down, and IMO lacked several things that would have benefited a rookie QB: an experienced OC, a QB coach, and a veteran QB in the room.  He had a craptastic game vs. Tampa where he threw 4 picks, then followed it up with a decent game vs Jax etc.  There have been far worse rookie QB performances from spread-offense QB who ultimately went on to be good pros.

Water under the bridge.   I'm just pointing out the revisionism where all of a sudden everyone here knew from the start that EJ was a crap pick who was going to be a crap QB...he was in fact regarded by some as one of the better QB of a bad class, a project with potential that the Bills reached for likely due to Buddy having been burnt in a previous draft...and initially there were promising signs in his rookie year as well as rough spots.

So here we are with Allen, a draft choice about whom opinion is sharply divided, and folks are all over the "tea leaves" trying to predict how he'll do from limited glimpses in OTA.  My point is, we're not going to really know how he'll work out long-term as a QB at least into his 2nd season, regardless of how he looks in some preseason games or if he plays and does some good stuff and some bad as a rookie. 

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I only know EJ from what I have witnessed @ home games. My dislike of EJ stems from that fact that he always played 'afraid'. I'm sure EJ is a real upstanding guy, but he had no business being a starting QB in the NFL.

I respect your "eye witness view" 

I started out to write a response asking if you can recall if you saw that from the start - I thought it dated to when he was injured vs Cleveland and missed 4 games - but you know, that's just so much water under the bridge now.

I agree with you - don't drink and derive.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

People loved EJ, too at this stage of the game. Nice guy, great interview, very thoughtful and polite. At this point they have not played any football yet. 

Every situation is different, and I pray we got this one right. Time will tell. 

“Time will tell” seems to be a theme. Anyone who thinks they KNOW the answer now is kidding themselves, but not me. Even if you turn out to be right, you just guessed. 

I never saw the franchise skillset in EJ though.  I did see the other intangibles mentioned however in EJ.  EJ had catastrophic flaws that are hard to rid, like holding onto the ball too long indecisiveness, and the ability to read defenses. 

I think we'll see a big difference over the likes of EJ, JPL, and other ghastly selections at the position. 

16 hours ago, Augie said:

People loved EJ, too at this stage of the game. Nice guy, great interview, very thoughtful and polite. At this point they have not played any football yet. 

“Time will tell” seems to be a theme. Anyone who thinks they KNOW the answer now is kidding themselves, but not me. Even if you turn out to be right, you just guessed. 

The stark difference between EJ and Allen was the fact nobody, and I mean NOBODY, mentioned "EJ" and "first round" in the same sentence leading up to the draft.  He was a third round (at best) QB that only Doug Whaley felt could become a franchise guy.  Most NFL draft analysts all had Allen in the first round.

Edited by Bills757

28 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

The stark difference between EJ and Allen was the fact nobody, and I mean NOBODY, mentioned "EJ" and "first round" in the same sentence leading up to the draft.  He was a third round (at best) QB that only Doug Whaley felt could become a franchise guy.  Most NFL draft analysts all had Allen in the first round.

Oh, for sure he was wildly over-drafted! Buddy said he was going to take a QB before he left. That’s what he did. I wish he had been more specific.  ?

53 minutes ago, Bills757 said:

Not only first round, but potentially first overall.

EJ and the word first were never mentioned in the same sentence. 

18 hours ago, Augie said:

It seems folks around here have short memories, or just never learn.

People loved Tyrod too!  Great work ethic!  

What counts is how well Allen plays QB.  

What doesn't count is everything else.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

It seems folks around here have short memories, or just never learn.

People loved Tyrod too!  Great work ethic!  

What counts is how well Allen plays QB.  

What doesn't count is everything else.

Agreed, unless maybe you’re Josh Rosen, who seems to have other factors in play. Even then, light it up, stay healthy and all is Forgiven! 

Edited by Augie

8 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

..... heard Jonah Hill been getting ready for the  part:

Image result for jonah hill

However Josh Allen's career could go, Jonah Hill can play him looking like a loser or a winner.

Not fat Jonah Hill is so dumb.

giphy.gif

Edited by Paulus

On 6/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, Jauronimo said:

Now I'm not suggesting that it will be a bigger disaster than Challenger, but unless NASA has hired Megamind Chan Gailey, this effort will be worse than 5 Challengers.     

Seriously i think not enuff people recognize chan turned chicken **** into chicken salad