Josh Allen story

I live out in Colorado and work at an establishment in Golden. A week or so ago the Wyoming radio broadcast crew was in town. Spoke with a couple guys and they said it was only a matter of time until Buffalo loves the kid. I heard the word leader 30 times in a 20 minute conversation. I hardly got any real questions in because all they could talk about was what an awesome person he was to be around. 

I asked if accuracy was an issue and then collectively said yes at times he throws errant passes. I asked if they thought he could win at the next level and again collectively they said yes. Arm talent and quick release is as good as anyone in the league already. Mentioned footwork being the key to accuracy and thought that could be taught because of the determination Josh has to succeed. 

Anyways, I was wearing a Bills cap and got to talking. The guys were great conversation and I thought I’d share. 

Edited by The_Real
  • Like (+1) 18
  • Thank you (+1) 3

People loved EJ, too at this stage of the game. Nice guy, great interview, very thoughtful and polite. At this point they have not played any football yet. 

Every situation is different, and I pray we got this one right. Time will tell. 

“Time will tell” seems to be a theme. Anyone who thinks they KNOW the answer now is kidding themselves, but not me. Even if you turn out to be right, you just guessed. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 6

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

People loved EJ, too. Every situation is different, and I pray we got this one right. Time will tell. 

“Time will tell” seems to be a theme. Anyone who thinks they KNOW the answer now is kidding themselves, but not me. Even if you turn out to be right, you just guessed. 

I remember reading after the 2nd game against the Panthers a Bills fan was so pumped he named his soon to be son EJ

Im guessing he regrets that by now....

Edited by Another Fan
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

I remember reading after the 2nd game against the Panthers a Bills fan was so pumped he named his son EJ

Im guessing he regrets that by now....

He probably has kids named Orton and Tyrod by now. Some people......

• Haha (+1) 5

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

People loved EJ, too. Every situation is different, and I pray we got this one right. Time will tell. 

EJ was never, ever, projected to be a 1st round QB, much less a top ten pick.  Josh had been projected by some to be anywhere from 3rd round to first overall.  Little bit of a difference there.  EJ was also forced into a starting role too early, not that it would've mattered.  There is no hurry with Josh.  I'd like to see him take the Aaron Rodgers path to starting by having AJ run the show while Josh learns.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Seems to be consistent with what everybody else has been saying about Allen.  I certainly think he has a chance at being a legit NFL quarterback with his natural ability and work ethic.  Time will tell

My fingers are crossed because I see a Blake Bortles type career for Allen.

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

So he will get 5th year option and 2nd contract with the Bills?

I’ll take it.. beats the last couple of QB’s they have drafted..

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

So he will get 5th year option and 2nd contract with the Bills?

I’ll take it.. beats the last couple of QB’s they have drafted..

I guess, but I’m not really optimistic...the Bills will really have to beat the odds with him.

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I guess, but I’m not really optimistic...the Bills will really have to beat the odds with him.

What qb doesn't have to beat the odds? Any idea the odds are of a qb coming out of college to make it as a franchise qb? I have a pretty good idea because so many don't make it. First rounder or not.

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Well he should be able to rush for 7,000 yards in one game against his own defense, then.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

wonder how EJ might have done, and for that matter JP, if not for the rotating clown circus that was the Bills Front Office during the drought.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Augie said:

Nobody really bought that, though.

Yall are dumb if you doubt Allen. He is gonna GOAT out, I'm telling ya. 

Edited by Paulus

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I actually agree with you on your second point.  Nothing annoys me more than people who are so over the top certain as to whether or not a guy's gonna be good or not.  As I've pointed out multiple times, literally half the posters on this website were all "BWAHAHAHAHAHA the Panthers are so stupid" when they took Cam Newton.  Yet no one is ever held accountable.  They just do the same thing about the next guy the next year, even though all they know about the guy is a five minute highlight tape on youtube over some s****y rap music (seriously, why is it always the worst rap music?)

As far as your first point, dude, EJ Manuel is a guy who was projected to go (and should have gone) in the third round in THE WORST DRAFT IN NFL HISTORY.  And it was also the worst draft for quarterbacks in NFL history.  Josh Allen is a guy who had been in the conversation for the #1 pick in an above average QB draft class (at least at the time of the draft) for a year and a half.  The Manuel-Allen comparison is just tired and lazy.  Doesn't mean Allen is gonna be good.  He could be worse than Manuel.  But Allen is a WAY, WAY more hyped and highly touted prospect coming into the NFL.

Edited by metzelaars_lives
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I actually agree with you on your second point.  Nothing annoys me more than people who are so over the top certain as to whether or not a guy's gonna be good or not.  As I've pointed out multiple times, literally half the posters on this website were all "BWAHAHAHAHAHA the Panthers are so stupid" when they took Cam Newton.  Yet no one is ever held accountable.  They just do the same thing about the next guy the next year, even though all they know about the guy is a five minute highlight tape on youtube over some s****y rap music (seriously, why is it always the worst rap music?)

As far as your first point, dude, EJ Manuel is a guy who was projected to go (and should have gone) in the third round in THE WORST DRAFT IN NFL HISTORY.  And it was also the worst draft for quarterbacks in NFL history.  Josh Allen is a guy who had been in the conversation for the #1 pick in an above average QB draft class (at least at the time of the draft) for a year and a half.  The Manuel-Allen comparison is just tired and lazy.  Doesn't mean Allen is gonna be good.  He could be worse than Manuel.  But Allen is a WAY, WAY more hyped and highly touted prospect coming into the NFL.

You know, people say that EJ was never supposed to go in the first round as if it was a fact. It's not.

Mayock thought he might go in the first. NFLDraftScout had him 1st-2nd, and more specifically mid-to-late first as his high and mid-second as his low. Gil Brandt had him as #27 in his top 100 big board, behind Geno, but in the top 32.

Yeah, there were people - and not a few - who thought he was picked too high. But it wasn't a unanimous thing.

At this point it's very clear he was a bad pick, but people saying that everyone knew he was a third rounder are talking out of their hat.

Having said that, I agree with you that there are some real weaknesses in the Manuel-Allen comparison. Allen is indeed more highly touted.

Edited by Thurman#1

I don't think EJ to Allen is a very fair comparison.  EJ was never ever in the talk of going number 1 overall.  The Bills like him because he was big and athletic -- everyone else thought they were crazy for taking him in the first round.  The only reason that Allen even dropped as far as he did was some lyrics that he had posted as a dumb teenager -- this guy was rated by a lot of people as the number one QB in the draft!  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

wonder how EJ might have done, and for that matter JP, if not for the rotating clown circus that was the Bills Front Office during the drought.

I don't think the "front office" has a bit to do with how a QB plays.  Coaching may vary, but you either have the qualities necessary to be a top level NFL QB or you don't.  JP and EJ possessed most of the physical requirements, but each had insurmountable flaws in the mental processing aspect of the game that prevented them having any consistent success.

If we're comparing Josh Allen to those guys, his physical attributes exceed both -- which means he may be able to "get away" with more than they could -- but only time will tell if the mental processing is good enough.  That aspect is the biggest crap shoot in sports, and it's why even high 1st round QBs are rarely a sure thing.

Edited by eball

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/ej-manuel/

Haven't seen this before... Notice the throwing velocity score and the wonderlic score for EJ... I think Allen has significantly more velocity on his throws and his wonderlic score I believe was significantly higher as well in relation to EJ's... Not sure how you compare the program at Wyoming to FSU in terms of coaching prep and the quality of the players around them either... Bottom Line = I'll be content to wait and see Allen play in preseason at least before making any judgements on him. I am cautiously optimistic though.