Has Chris Ivory been at OTA's?

gjv001

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I don’t know how serious the Bills are about these two but I like them both: Marcus Murphy out of Missouri who played a bit at end of last year, and Keith Ford, rookie they signed as udfa out of A&M.

The way I see it, the Bills brought in a decent vet RB, who, as someone already mentioned, is pretty good at picking up blitzes and catching the ball, and they brought in some young guys that can be placed on the practice squad and called up in the event of an injury or two at the position. RB #3 comes down to Cadet and Jones (as of right now), both players that suffered significant injuries last season. 

Not the flashiest of moves by bringing in Ivory, but not a terrible #2 option for a year or so.

• Like (+1) 1

an underrated part of his game is his pass catching ability. as a backup he's been catching around 20 balls and close to 200 yards.  could be very valuable for us. i'm warming up to the signing and hoping he gets back to the jets form and even his first year in jax.  would it be crazy to expect 500 yards rushing and 200 yards rec with 5 total tds?

6 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

The same guys that tell us Trust the Process signed and kept playing Tolbert.

Ivory was done two years ago.

3.4 YPA last year. Any street FA UDFA can get you 3.4 YPA.  

Terrible signing.  He won't make the team if it is an honest competition.  My hunch is Shady will not dress for any pre-season game.  Ivory will look terrible in the first two games and will be let go.

To the last: The Bills signed him $2.5M guaranteed.  That would be a stupid signing indeed if the plan is to cut him after the first 2 preseason games

YPA: Just like to point out that a reliable 3.4 YPA moves the chains.  If I'm guessing, it's pass-catching ability out of the backfield and run blocking the Bills are seeking from Ivory.

Any UDFA: could you be so kind as to point out the rookie UDFA who have gained at least 3.4 ypa in >50 attempts last season?  Heck, last 3 seasons.  Looking to be educated.  Thanks.

Edit: I'm not saying Ivory is a great signing - I wasn't in love with it.  Just questioning some of the other assumptions (will be cut, UDFA contributions etc)

• Like (+1) 1

I really think pass protection is a consideration here.  Veteran rbs usually have blitz pickups and the like figured out. With the question marks on the oline, it would make sense to prioritize rbs that can help keep the qb upright.

Malcolm Brown, Thomas Rawls, Corey Grant, Corey Clement.

Ivory was a UDFA so he kind of proves the point himself. Going with a younger guy at RB usually provides little risk and a higher upside, for the second year in a row the Bills have decided to invest in a declining older RB. 

It does boggle my mind a bit. 

The stuff about blocking and pass catching is a stretch. His receptions have gone up later in his career as his role had changed.

https://www.draftsharks.com/article/tale-of-the-tape--chris-johnson-vs--chris-ivory

Edited by Commonsense

2 hours ago, Jpsredemption said:

Could have found a running back late in the draft with fresh legs that would have accomplished same. 

The bills lobe stockpiling backs on the brink of 30 for whatever reason.

So you put no value on having a veteran back up that you dont have to teach the game to? Ivory is not a bad running back. If Shady gets hurt, Ivory is more than capable of starting and carrying the load. He is not on the same level as Shady but can be effective. 

Ivory will be a fan favorite. I'll go as far as saying he is an elite RB2. Will get more carries than expected. I wouldn't draft Shady too high this year in fantasy football. 

Jones will surprise a lot of people as RB3, and Cadet will take a lot of receptions too. We have a great RB corp this year. The question is the O-line. 

Edited by musichunch

10 hours ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So you put no value on having a veteran back up that you dont have to teach the game to? Ivory is not a bad running back. If Shady gets hurt, Ivory is more than capable of starting and carrying the load. He is not on the same level as Shady but can be effective. 

Actually your right I do put no value in that. Probably the least complicated transition from college to pro.

19 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Actually your right I do put no value in that. Probably the least complicated transition from college to pro.

In some ways that is true, but not if you want a RB to be able to play 3 downs. Most RBs do not come out of college with the readiness to pass block. That can be developed in time,  but as of right now you still need more than one guy on the roster who can do it. And mccoy isn’t even good at it even if he does know what he’s doing. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

In some ways that is true, but not if you want a RB to be able to play 3 downs. Most RBs do not come out of college with the readiness to pass block. That can be developed in time,  but as of right now you still need more than one guy on the roster who can do it. And mccoy isn’t even good at it even if he does know what he’s doing. 

CJ Spiller says hello.

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

And...?

CJ couldn't pass block to save the QB's life .Defenses knew if he was in the backfield  Bills were running on that down. Running back pass blocking can be an overlooked skill set. Fred Ex was pretty good at it and I am hoping Ivory will be as well.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

CJ couldn't pass block to save the QB's life .Defenses knew if he was in the backfield  Bills were running on that down. Running back pass blocking can be an overlooked skill set. Fred Ex was pretty good at it and I am hoping Ivory will be as well.

Fred was good. It’s just that it’s a skill he developed over a few years and these days coaches don’t have the time to work with the players on these skills. RBs who are skilled pass blockers out of college are rare. Having at least one vet backup who knows what he’s doing is smart. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

FredEx was good for values of "level all-pro DLmen like this" good

https://247sports.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/Article/Bills-Fred-Jackson-Caused-JJ-Watts-Bruise-105216600

Part of that was guys who got to fight for a roster spot, work extra hard on ST skills, blocking, anything that might give them a little edge