WR: Possible Demariyus Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders release / trade?

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We're rolling with what he have. Who knows? They might surprise us.

.agree twice Promo......banking on Benjamin & Zay returning healthy, Zay to get rid of the "drops", Streater being productive on his 2nd trip through, the emergence of the Reilly kid as well as some of the draftees......no need to panic yet..............

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

For the salary cap nerds, can we afford either one of them if we make a trade for one?

Not really.  Realistically the Bill's have maybe 5-6 million left to spend in 2018.

Both DEN WR's would cost 8 or 10 million in 2018 and 10 or 15 million next year.

I don't see the Bill's interested in that kind of WR money for guys on the wrong side of 30.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Stenbar said:

The Bills Wr position has been a debacle for years, I do not know how an NFL team can let it be this bad for so long.  They should have locked up Robert Woods the year before he became a free agent and that would have helped out.  Kelvin Benjamin is one cut on the field from being done for the year and he really has not shown he can be counted on due to his injuries.  I think the front office knows this but are waiting to get all the other pieces in line first.

We were never going get good value out of Robert Woods with our QB and surrounding talent. Granted Woods would be a nice number 2 on this roster but I just don't think paying him 8 million or more would have resulted in the necessary production that the team would have needed to justify that cap number. Woods is in a good system where he complements the QB so the Rams over paying for him isn't nearly as bad. 

15 hours ago, Stenbar said:

The Bills Wr position has been a debacle for years, I do not know how an NFL team can let it be this bad for so long.  They should have locked up Robert Woods the year before he became a free agent and that would have helped out.  Kelvin Benjamin is one cut on the field from being done for the year and he really has not shown he can be counted on due to his injuries.  I think the front office knows this but are waiting to get all the other pieces in line first.

The real mistake was not picking up the Watkins option. We coulda had him this season at 1 year 11 mill when the market value for him was 3 yr 48 mill. BTW, I dont really have a problem with the trade to the Rams - I think we got a fair return (Gaines + second rounder) - though the linked trade with the Eagles for Matthews (for Darby +  3rd rounder) ) was, in retrospect, not so great.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not really.  Realistically the Bill's have maybe 5-6 million left to spend in 2018.

Both DEN WR's would cost 8 or 10 million in 2018 and 10 or 15 million next year.

I don't see the Bill's interested in that kind of WR money for guys on the wrong side of 30.

Where are you getting your numbers?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

This is what I see (it reflects Eric Wood's injury / retirement (so it should be the latest). It shows Bills have about 16 mill. I dont know if Josh Allen is included in the calculations. If he is not, we have 16 million. If he is not in the top 51, we should still have 16 mill - 3.9 mill +0.6 mill, which is about 12.7 mill. Even keeping aside 4 mill for injuries etc., we can sign an 8-9 mill player. And we do not really have top worry about the next year.

What am I missing?

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Where are you getting your numbers?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

This is what I see (it reflects Eric Wood's injury / retirement (so it should be the latest). It shows Bills have about 16 mill. I dont know if Josh Allen is included in the calculations. If he is not, we have 16 million. If he is not in the top 51, we should still have 16 mill - 3.9 mill +0.6 mill, which is about 12.7 mill. Even keeping aside 4 mill for injuries etc., we can sign an 8-9 mill player. And we do not really have top worry about the next year.

What am I missing?

You got to subtract adding 2 players from the 51 cap to the full 53 cap (about a million) and the Practice Squad ( a little more than a million).

From a couple of Beane pressers it sound like he wanted to keep about 5 for injuries/reserve.

I mentioned 2019 cap numbers because both WR contracts are thru 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

You got to subtract adding 2 players from the 51 cap to the full 53 cap (about a million) and the Practice Squad ( a little more than a million).

From a couple of Beane pressers it sound like he wanted to keep about 5 for injuries/reserve.

I mentioned 2019 cap numbers because both WR contracts are thru 2019.

Thanks for replying. Can always dip into the injured / reserve for a mill or so. Also, we have so much cap space in 2019 - we dont have worry about the contracts in 2019. That said  team has potential out after 2018 for both Thomas and Sanders. So they will only be a one year commitment (no 2019).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/demaryius-thomas-6531/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/emmanuel-sanders-6590/

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2018 at 8:01 PM, Bangarang said:

We are probably one of the least attractive options for a FA WR.

If a FA is interested in making a team and seeing the field, we are probably the most attractive option in the entire NFL.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:40 AM, 8-8 Forever? said:

our QB situation will scare away all top free agent WRs, correct. 

Dude you act like there are all these FA’s sitting around in July, just waiting to pick the team they want to play for.  If a guy still isn’t on a team, it’s because no one wants them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Would demaryius Thomas really get released? He's criminally underrated I'd have him top 10 with Brown ODB AJ Green Julio, etc

Dude.  You forgot to set your time machine for the return trip from 2014.  While you are there put a few bucks down on VGK to win the west in their expansion year.  Boo koo odds.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/9/2018 at 11:00 PM, John from Riverside said:

Lets just roll with what we got

Yeah, I think this group will be surprisingly better than people think, from both a skill and scheme standpoint. I also don't see them making any more moves this year that have a relatively high cost, unless we lose an impotent starter.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Yeah, I think this group will be surprisingly better than people think, from both a skill and scheme standpoint. I also don't see them making any more moves this year that have a relatively high cost, unless we lose an impotent starter.

Same here they have a legit number 1 in Benjamin, a solid slot receiver in Kerley and a solid weapon at tight end. They just need Zay, Reilly or Dupree to step up 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dude.  You forgot to set your time machine for the return trip from 2014.  While you are there put a few bucks down on VGK to win the west in their expansion year.  Boo koo odds.

Haha hear me out, HEAR YE HEAR YE I'm very familiar with Thomas's career; He's been on my fantasy team for 5 years straight! I always draft him for like $5-$10 bucks out of a $200 auction because everybody sleeps on the fact that Semen's (I do this on purpose, I know.. immature) throwing. He's a sure bet for 1,000 yards every year. HE DID IT WITH TEBOW. Kelvin Benjamin's had 1 1,003 year season with Cam! I like KB and all, but if Demaryious is as undervalued as you say.. That's a steal, buy low sell high baby!

I always say a great receiver will get his yards no matter the quarterback. Newsflash: Woods (love him not a slam, he could get 500, 600 yards with absolute crap QB play, blocks like a champ), Goodwin, Andre Holmes, Deonte Thompson, aren't at that level of greatness ala Damaryious Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Andre Johnson good. These guys have gotten 1,000 yard seasons with crap quarterback play. They'd get it from Tyrod, Semen, Tebow, Tom Savage, Drew Stanton.. you get it.

I mean do you really feel strongly that Thomas's career is over? He's 30. Hopefully GMs think the same way too lol.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Haha hear me out, HEAR YE HEAR YE I'm very familiar with Thomas's career; He's been on my fantasy team for 5 years straight! I always draft him for like $5-$10 bucks out of a $200 auction because everybody sleeps on the fact that Semen's (I do this on purpose, I know.. immature) throwing. He's a sure bet for 1,000 yards every year. HE DID IT WITH TEBOW. Kelvin Benjamin's had 1 1,003 year season with Cam! I like KB and all, but if Demaryious is as undervalued as you say.. That's a steal, buy low sell high baby!

I always say a great receiver will get his yards no matter the quarterback. Newsflash: Woods (love him not a slam, he could get 500, 600 yards with absolute crap QB play, blocks like a champ), Goodwin, Andre Holmes, Deonte Thompson, aren't at that level of greatness ala Damaryious Thomas, DeAndre Hopkins, Andre Johnson good. These guys have gotten 1,000 yard seasons with crap quarterback play. They'd get it from Tyrod, Semen, Tebow, Tom Savage, Drew Stanton.. you get it.

I mean do you really feel strongly that Thomas's career is over? He's 30. Hopefully GMs think the same way too lol.

Depending on price tag i would take a flyer on him.....we need to get through this season so we can draft better receiving talent.

Oh and I forgot to mention he's getting his thousand yard seasons sharing touches with Emmanuel Sanders, which.. maybe that benefits his yardage totals with less double coverage, or hurts it if he's not the only primary. I find in fantasy football, if the #1 WR option is by miles the only option.. bad quarterbacks, especially younger ones target the heck out of them.

I have KB on my shortlist for fantasy football absolutely for this reason. If Josh Allen starts he's going to be throwing jump balls to KB every pass. It's just what rooks do, especially a quarterback that fits Allen's profile. Doesn't always mean it's a good passing offense.. Allen could be 3,000 yards passing 10 TDs 15 INTs, and KB will be like 1,200 yards, 7 TDs lol. Hedging my bets; if our passing offense devolves, I have a great fantasy receiver.. If we spread the ball around with good QB play, the Bills win! And maybe KB and DT get me them ff points. That signing would turn our receiving corps from bad to amazing overnight!

Would be the best WR pair I'd have seen on the Bills compared to what.. TO and Lee Evans? Moulds and Price? Watkins and Woods?

maaaybe Moulds and Price.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Depending on price tag i would take a flyer on him.....we need to get through this season so we can draft better receiving talent.

^ see my hot take

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Elway picked up the 4 million option on him this spring.  There isn't even a rumor out here in "Broncoland" about him leaving.

Thomas is going nowhere.

Yeah I'd have been positively shocked. DT leaves Denver like Dez left Dallas? No way. That's why I was going nuts on my last post that people were saying DT would be a remotely feasible option. Gobble gobble.

9 hours ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Dude you act like there are all these FA’s sitting around in July, just waiting to pick the team they want to play for.  If a guy still isn’t on a team, it’s because no one wants them.

yeah but TO said he's waiting for someone to ring him.

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah I'd have been positively shocked. DT leaves Denver like Dez left Dallas? No way. That's why I was going nuts on my last post that people were saying DT would be a remotely feasible option. Gobble gobble.

Yep.  Here is a excerpt from the Denver Post about Thomas.

Thomas is one of only four NFL players to post five consecutive seasons (2012-16) with at least 90 catches and 1,000 receiving yards, and although he fell seven catches and 51 yards shy of making it six seasons last year, he continued to scale the Broncos’ record books. He moved into third place in career receptions (629), and second in both receiving yards (8,653) and receiving touchdowns (57). He already sits at No. 1 in Broncos history with 35 career 100-yard receiving games and is the fastest Broncos player to log 600 catches (112 games).

Since he and Sanders joined forces in 2014, the Broncos have boasted a receiving duo that has topped 100 yards each in seven games (league most) and 1,000 yards each in three seasons.

The list of accolades and records will only continue to grow longer. While the Broncos have already begun to make significant changes to their offense for 2018, their top receiver isn’t one.

Thomas isn’t going anywhere.

• Thank you (+1) 1