WR: Possible Demariyus Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders release / trade?

Have been thinking about the Bills' WR situation. AMong free agents, Dez Bryant is a pipe dream and Maclin and Decker are washed up. So, I was looking at release trade candidates. Denver is in serious cap trouble  and needs to shed some salary. With two of the top three salary cap hits (Keenum is the third player in the group), Thomas and Sanders are the two candidates most likely to be released. / traded. Denver also drafted Courtland Sutton and Desean Hamilton in rounds 2 and 4 - so these two are serious candidates to be let go.

The Bills Wr position has been a debacle for years, I do not know how an NFL team can let it be this bad for so long.  They should have locked up Robert Woods the year before he became a free agent and that would have helped out.  Kelvin Benjamin is one cut on the field from being done for the year and he really has not shown he can be counted on due to his injuries.  I think the front office knows this but are waiting to get all the other pieces in line first.

• Like (+1) 1

Thomas has a skill set that our team would love to have. Big, Athletic and has football smarts. Running routes for Peyton Manning for four years would be valuable for josh as well.

Pretty sure Elway believes that Siemians play was buoyed by two excellent WRs. They will play as if there super bowl Window is still open.

28 minutes ago, Stenbar said:

The Bills Wr position has been a debacle for years, I do not know how an NFL team can let it be this bad for so long.  They should have locked up Robert Woods the year before he became a free agent and that would have helped out.  Kelvin Benjamin is one cut on the field from being done for the year and he really has not shown he can be counted on due to his injuries.  I think the front office knows this but are waiting to get all the other pieces in line first.

Could also say: The Bills QB position has been a debacle for years, i do not know how an NFL team can let it be this bad for so long.  We could probably insert a few different positions for areas in which the Bills have sorely needed improvement.

You cant fix years worth of issues over night. We finally have a staff that appears to be committed to building this team thru the draft so we can have continued success & be challenging for Superbowls. I'd much rather they roll with what they have now & solidify the WR group next year, then over pay for a retread WR to appease a segment of the fan base short term. Splashy signings sound great, but those are the types of moves/mistakes past teams have made. Moves that were made for the now instead of the future & helped create a debacle that we know here as The Drought. 

I know its a long offseason but we really have no choice but to trust the process. If our GM sees a WR worth picking up once roster cuts are underway, i'm sure he'll make the move. But I don't see us investing 7-8 Mil in one of these big name wideouts when the goal for this year was to fix our cap situation & continue forward with our rebuild. Jmo of course

GO BILLS

• Like (+1) 1

The Broncos are in win now mode. I don't see them releasing either of Keenum's potential top targets. Maybe if one of the rookies shows well this year they become expendable next year. I'm actually expecting Thomas and Sanders to get a huge bump this year having a solid QB. 

I think I'm ok with running with what we have this year and then next offseason go for a special WR in the draft and or FA (with the money/cap the team will have). I think Benjamin is going to have a big year. I had a lot of Carolina guys on my keeper fantasy team for a number of years (not Kelvin), so I watched a lot of Panthers' games. KB is very good when healthy. I think Kerley is a nice addition in the slot, and I expect at least one of the young guys (Riley, Foster, McCloud) or Streater will have a productive year (being 3rd or 4th WR). The big question mark is Zay. If Zay is healthy and has a good season, this WR group could have a very good year. But, yes, if Zay doesn't come along and the injury bug hits, we could be in trouble. But right now, I feel comfortable with the potential we have (provided there is also better QB play).

But to the OP's question, I think I would be more interested in Sanders than Thomas for the Bills and how our roster currently looks. But both receivers turn 31 this season, so only on a reasonable one- or two-year deal, would I entertain it. And I doubt those players would be looking for that, unless no one else was interested and they just wanted to get on a roster for the year. And I wouldn't want to take over a big contract/cap hit in a trade (it would have to be renegotiated to even be considered).

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

Thomas has a skill set that our team would love to have. Big, Athletic and has football smarts. Running routes for Peyton Manning for four years would be valuable for josh as well.

Pretty sure Elway believes that Siemians play was buoyed by two excellent WRs. They will play as if there super bowl Window is still open.

Will Denver throw in a time machine?

13 hours ago, Bangarang said:

We are probably one of the least attractive options for a FA WR.

It's true that from the outside looking in it doesn't appear as if Buffalo is going to put up big numbers in the passing game, but is a player is looking for a multi year deal, the possibilities for 2019 and beyond might be intriguing for a receiver.