Mindset and QB accuracy

Lot of keyboards are hamming out stuff on Josh's accuracy, precision, and completion rate.  Yadayadayada.  I think it's more about commitment to the throw, which we know TT couldn't get his mind around.  A quick comparison to a baseball hitter.  I think the best hitters know the pitch that they want from a particular pitcher. They did their homework and knew when that pitch was coming.  I remember Aaron saying he looked for a Koufax changeup in certain situations, and just let the curveball go by.  I bet Brady does his homework about players and defenses, and before he receives the ball, he knows who he is throwing to 90% of the time.  No questions and no doubts.  The emphasis on going through the progressions is overrated.  QBs who are coached to do this are not successful because that results in cognitive overload.  Having the mindset of commitment to throw to the primary guy allows the QB to set the feet and prepare for the throw.  All the lower and upper body mechanics are ready.  I bet Brady has this kind of mindset.  Josh needs this mindset.  Brady gets the ball away in 2 seconds most of the time.  Do you think he goes threw progressions on every play?  That would be heck no.  All the other routes are just to clear the way for the primary guy.  I hope that Josh is being coached to have this kind of mindset.  If so, I believe all of his mechanics issues can be solved.   Commitment to throw in 2 seconds without analyzing the progressions will allow Josh to get his mechanics set.  Because he has a rocket arm, he will be able to set, throw where the guy is going to be, then off to the races.  This doesn't have to be hard, folks.  Please, coach the guy to have the right mindset!! 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

I bet Brady does his homework about players and defenses, 

Every player in the NFL watches film.

46 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

Brady gets the ball away in 2 seconds most of the time.  

He is an exceptional talent.  Most qbs in the league cannot do this.

49 minutes ago, Ga boy said:

If so, I believe all of his mechanics issues can be solved.   Commitment to throw in 2 seconds without analyzing the progressions will allow Josh to get his mechanics set

How does getting rid of the ball in under 2 seconds fix a guys mechanics?

• Like (+1) 1

A few years ago, Tom Brady had a quote which I have referenced here several times since.

He said something like "A lot of quarterbacks in the NFL waste plays, I hate wasting plays and almost never waste a play."

What he meant was that if you are smart enough and do enough homework, you should be able to stand at the line of scrimmage, before the balls is snapped, and tell if a called play is going to work or not work...and if it looks bad, you change the play to one that will work and go with that one.

Tyrod, for example, is not smart enough to function on that level, so he wasted plays all the time.

It relates to what the OP is saying.  The QB needs to "see" the play before the ball is snapped, have a good idea what will happen based on the D formation, and go with what works.  I agree that is often all figured out before the ball is snapped.

Look at how long Brady holds onto the ball!  He throws so quickly he must be throwing to a predetermined target much of the time.  He isn't holding the ball long enough to "wing it" during a live play.

• Like (+1) 10

2 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

He is an exceptional talent.  Most qbs in the league cannot do this.

I would argue that the offense he pays in vs the ones Hotrod played in has something to do with this.

Even Matt Cassell was successful in that offense.

Oh, and the cheating helps

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it is simply that Brady processes information faster.

Okay, I think we can all agree that Brady processes fast.

The question is:  Can it be learned, or is Brady just, somehow, uniquely made? 

The answer is:  If you have at least half a brain, and if you WORK and then WORK some more, you should be able to learn it.

A quote I like:  "practice doesnt make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect."  Those Belichick teams practice different than us.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

A quote I like:  "practice doesnt make perfect.  Perfect practice makes perfect."  Those Belichick teams practice different than us

I really find it hard to believe that the patriots practice much different then anyone else.  The CBA limits teams so much anymore that everyone is basically doing the same thing in practice.  The reason why the patriots are better than everyyone else is because they have Tom Brady playing the most important position on the field.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I would argue that the offense he pays in vs the ones Hotrod played in has something to do with this.

Even Matt Cassell was successful in that offense.

Oh, and the cheating helps

You're delusional.

3 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

A few years ago, Tom Brady had a quote which I have referenced here several times since.

He said something like "A lot of quarterbacks in the NFL waste plays, I hate wasting plays and almost never waste a play."

What he meant was that if you are smart enough and do enough homework, you should be able to stand at the line of scrimmage, before the balls is snapped, and tell if a called play is going to work or not work...and if it looks bad, you change the play to one that will work and go with that one.

Tyrod, for example, is not smart enough to function on that level, so he wasted plays all the time.

It relates to what the OP is saying.  The QB needs to "see" the play before the ball is snapped, have a good idea what will happen based on the D formation, and go with what works.  I agree that is often all figured out before the ball is snapped.

Look at how long Brady holds onto the ball!  He throws so quickly he must be throwing to a predetermined target much of the time.  He isn't holding the ball long enough to "wing it" during a live play.

Amen.

11 hours ago, Zebrastripes said:

I really find it hard to believe that the patriots practice much different then anyone else.  The CBA limits teams so much anymore that everyone is basically doing the same thing in practice.  The reason why the patriots are better than everyyone else is because they have Tom Brady playing the most important position on the field.

Then why is it that their system allows different qbs to step in and excel? It has been that way for years. 

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

You're delusional.

Possibly, but the guy I'm being accused of being "delusional" about is the most successful QB in the history of the NFL

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/15/16464558/tom-brady-nfl-record-list-most-touchdowns-yards

While you're talking out your ass.

Edited by OJABBA

4 hours ago, BB@Shooter said:

Then why is it that their system allows different qbs to step in and excel? It has been that way for years. 

Who are these qbs you speak of?

Matt Cassel went on to have a couple fairly decent years in Kansas City.  Jimmy G.  tore it up in San Fran.  So i believe that you can't say it was the system with these two guys because they went on to other teams with different systems and still continued the same success they had seen in New England.  Plus if it truly were the system why wasnt Tim Tebow successful with McDaniels as his head coach in Denver?

Edited by Zebrastripes

Hey Dudes:  As the OP, I can say that yall have strayed from the topic.  Let's focus on the essential question:  How should Josh be coached to be Brady?  My point is that he needs a mindset of commitment to throw to the primary guy in 2 secs, which means forget going threw the progressions.  I think this is what Brady does, but I could be delusional and talking out of my arsh.  Cmon dudes, please discuss without name calling.

Just now, Ga boy said:

How should Josh be coached to be Brady? 

Impossible task.  Brady is Brady and we may never see another guy like him.  You have to realize Brady is not throwing the ball to his primary guy every play.  He is coming up to the line diagnosing the defense and making the right call to get the ball to the right guy.  If you could coach a guy to be like Brady there would be 32 Tom Brady's already in the league.  It's just not as simple as saying "you see what Brady does just do that".  

18 minutes ago, Zebrastripes said:

Impossible task.  Brady is Brady and we may never see another guy like him.  You have to realize Brady is not throwing the ball to his primary guy every play.  He is coming up to the line diagnosing the defense and making the right call to get the ball to the right guy.  If you could coach a guy to be like Brady there would be 32 Tom Brady's already in the league.  It's just not as simple as saying "you see what Brady does just do that".  

Agree that he knows where the ball is going before the ball is snapped.  I want Josh to be coached this way.  We heard a lot about teaching TT to go through the progressions before throwing after the snap.   I think that can coach Josh to have the mindset of commitment to throw the dang ball in 2 secs like the GOAT.