There will be a lot of crow handed out to media...

7 hours ago, Kemp said:

For all his short-comings Taylor kept Buffalo in possession of the ball. Which QB do you know will be able to do the same? Which has shown he can QB at this level?

You can hope for anything and anything is possible, but you can't know it won't be worse.n

Any QB not named Fitzpatrick.

Going 3 and out b.c you are afraid to throw the ball is no different than an INT.

Edited by Boca BIlls

12 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

It is? 

Given the state of our Oline and QBs I expect to see a lot of 8 man fronts and blitzing early in the season.  Defenses are going to dare our inexperienced QBs to throw. 

Ok

but how is that any different then previous years?

im not advocating for Allen to start but having qbs that can stand in the pocket and make throws will change the way defenses play them

honestly, I see a 5-7 win team. A lot of unknowns including the QB position, OL and WRs. RBs are not spring chickens and we are counting on Star L and Murphy to show up and play well, Edmunds and Phillips to excel as a rookies and Lawson to be healthy and play well for the D to improve. Not to mention Nickel CB.

I don't think it is doom and gloom, some guys will excel and some will crap out.

I think the 6.5 Vegas line and the 4-6 win total for non Bills fans to be fairly accurate. The 2-14 prediction is ridiculous though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

honestly, I see a 5-7 win team. A lot of unknowns including the QB position, OL and WRs. RBs are not spring chickens and we are counting on Star L and Murphy to show up and play well, Edmunds and Phillips to excel as a rookies and Lawson to be healthy and play well for the D to improve. Not to mention Nickel CB.

I don't think it is doom and gloom, some guys will excel and some will crap out.

I think the 6.5 Vegas line and the 4-6 win total for non Bills fans to be fairly accurate. The 2-14 prediction is ridiculous though.

Good post, devoid of the usual Kool Aid stained viewpoint.

For now I have us in that 4-6 window as well. 

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Ok

but how is that any different then previous years?

im not advocating for Allen to start but having qbs that can stand in the pocket and make throws will change the way defenses play them

How is changing out your starting QB for a rookie and a career backup and turning over your pro bowl guard and center different than every other year?  Well, for starters, that doesn't happen every year.

We don't know if we have a QB that can stand in the pocket and make throws yet.  We know we have three guys who will try to stand in the pocket and make throws to one team or another.

Edited by Jauronimo

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

How is changing out your starting QB for a rookie and a career backup and turning over your pro bowl guard and center different than every other year?  Well, for starters, that doesn't happen every year.

The o line is a wait and see no doubt

the Qb positition wasn’t being used correctly anyway

10 hours ago, john wawrow said:

one of my Grover Cleveland golf buddies asked me if I had a prediction yet of the Bills season.

"no," i responded. "way too early."

flame away, though.

jw

Why should ppl flame a reasonable take?

(sorry for a second I forgot where I was)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

Then put your money where your mouth is, and bet the under. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Fading Pain, we disagree on almost everything.

While this team is flawed, I know they will win 5-6 games on Defense alone.

I would bet $1000 (USA currency) that the Bills win 5 games

Edited by RocCityRoller

23 hours ago, The Red King said:

Is it?  Points surrendered...the three terrible games bolded.  Keep in mind the defense did this even given the number of 3-and-outs we had.  That was one tired D that could have thrown the towel in, but didn't.

vs. Jets: 12, Panthers: 9, Broncos: 16, Falcons: 17, Bengals: 20, Bucs: 27, Raiders: 14, Jets: 34, Saints: 47, Chargers: 54, Chiefs: 10, Pats: 23, Colts: 7, Dolphins: 16, Pats: 37, Dolphins: 16, Jags: 10

Aside from that three game collapse, the D gave up an average of 16.7 points a game, despite being stranded out on the field by our ineffective offense.  First Pats game was 9-3 at halftime, second was 13-13.  Those three games aside, you don't think that defense played wonderfully?

No, they did not play wonderfully.

And when a guy trying to pump up the achievements of the defense has to resort to talking about how well they played in the first half of two games, you can hear the sound of spin, spin at hypersonic speed. I don't care what the scores are at halftime. I care what they are at the end of the game. Whether the other team scores more in the first half or the second doesn't make the defense worse or better.

And yeah, though you made a mistake and we scored a bit more than 16.7 points, actually, our points allowed statistic was pretty good in those thirteen games. But scoring is a better measure of the whole team than it is of the defense. Which is why when they say some team is the #1 defense they aren't talking about scoring. They're talking about yards. Scoring is maybe 70% defense. It's also about field position, number of drives faced, and a bunch of other things which offense and STs weigh heavily into. Not to mention that some scores don't come against the defense.

You want to measure the defense you look at yards they gave up. Outside of those three games, the Bills defense gave up 341.5 yards per game. Would've been 20th in the league. Decent. Very very far from great or wonderful.

And that came in 13 games against offenses that averaged 19.07th ranked in the league, a ranking significantly below average.

Edited by Thurman#1

20 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Had to look it up.. Word of the day material

whinge
(h)winj/
Britishinformal
verb
verb: whinge; 3rd person present: whinges; past tense: whinged; past participle: whinged; gerund or present participle: whingeing; gerund or present participle: whinging
  1. 1.
    complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
noun
noun: whinge; plural noun: whinges
  1. 1.
    an act of complaining.

I've heard it a million times, but I've read a lot of British stuff. I read Uncut, Mojo and the now sadly defunct "The Word," and all the way back to Trouser Press in the '70s. Big fan of the Anglo view of rock music.

A lot of British novels and TV shows as well. Even spent a couple of months doing a home-stay there in high school and visiting three other times. Whinge is really common there.

21 hours ago, john wawrow said:

one of my Grover Cleveland golf buddies asked me if I had a prediction yet of the Bills season.

"no," i responded. "way too early."

flame away, though.

jw

Grover Cleveland?!  Either you're civic minded, or journalism pay isn't what I thought it was.  Does that count as a 'flame'?  ??

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Grover Cleveland?!  Either you're civic minded, or journalism pay isn't what I thought it was.  Does that count as a 'flame'?  ??

No biggie I was just hanging out with James K Polk. He was at Al Bundy's high school hall of fame ceremony for scoring 5 TDs in one game

10 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

Fading Pain, we disagree on almost everything.

While this team is flawed, I know they will win 5-6 games on Defense alone.

I would bet $1000 (USA currency) that the Bills win 5 games

Huh?  You said we are a 5-7 win team.  I'm agreeing with that, more or less.

I said 4-6 but that could easily be 5-7 as well.  8 wins and up from there is the sort of record I don't see us achieving, at the moment. It's still early.

14 hours ago, Paulus said:

Then put your money where your mouth is, and bet the under. 

I don't gamble.

6 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Huh?  You said we are a 5-7 win team.  I'm agreeing with that, more or less.

I said 4-6 but that could easily be 5-7 as well.  8 wins and up from there is the sort of record I don't see us achieving, at the moment. It's still early.

I don't gamble.

I'm betting the over on my under LOL!

Truth is, I was being an @ss last night and had to edit my response to not bring up gambling or politics where they didn't belong.

We are agreed the 5-7 win potential is real. We differ where I don't see under 5 wins as even possible.

Nice to agree with you for once. Sorry for being an @ss in the prior post.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, they did not play wonderfully.

And when a guy trying to pump up the achievements of the defense has to resort to talking about how well they played in the first half of two games, you can hear the sound of spin, spin at hypersonic speed. I don't care what the scores are at halftime. I care what they are at the end of the game. Whether the other team scores more in the first half or the second doesn't make the defense worse or better.

And yeah, though you made a mistake and we scored a bit more than 16.7 points, actually, our points allowed statistic was pretty good in those thirteen games. But scoring is a better measure of the whole team than it is of the defense. Which is why when they say some team is the #1 defense they aren't talking about scoring. They're talking about yards. Scoring is maybe 70% defense. It's also about field position, number of drives faced, and a bunch of other things which offense and STs weigh heavily into. Not to mention that some scores don't come against the defense.

You want to measure the defense you look at yards they gave up. Outside of those three games, the Bills defense gave up 341.5 yards per game. Would've been 20th in the league. Decent. Very very far from great or wonderful.

And that came in 13 games against offenses that averaged 19.07th ranked in the league, a ranking significantly below average.

...you know another signifigantly below average offense?  Buffalo's.

You're right, yards given up is a far more meaningful stat then points.  When time runs out, points are just a guideline.  Buffalo did not lose the playoff game because the Jags scored seven more points then the Bills, the Bills lost because they only gained 263 yards, when the Jags gained...230.  Wait, this can't be right.  We got more yards then the Jags...but somehow lost?  Yet you insist yards gained/surrendered is a far more important stat then points.  What a strange paradox.  We got robbed!  Buffalo won that playoff game!  The NFL screwed up and looked at points, not yards!

...oh...no...wait...I suppose points actually do matter a lot more then yards.  ?

Buffalo held the Jags to 10 points in their own stadium...the same Jags that put up 45 on Pitt and 20 on NE on the road the following two weeks.  I'd call that wonderful.

Edited by The Red King