There will be a lot of crow handed out to media...

19 hours ago, The Red King said:

Look at points surrendered.  There was a horrific three-game stretch, the other thirteen they did wonderfully.  They held the Jags to ten points in their own stadium.  They kept the Bills in both NE games for a full three quarters when the offense did absolutely zilch.  Nine points surrendered in a loss to Carolina, another playoff team.  You still want to claim it wasn't a great defense?

Shifting gears to the run game.  Yes, the running game had hiccups.  That's to be expected when your QB refuses to throw deep allowing the defense to stack everyone in the box like a poker player pushing his chips all-in.  Regardless which QB plays this year, they should at least stretch the field, forcing opposing defenses to play more honestly, giving our running backs something other then a brick wall to run into every down.

"The other thirteen they did wonderfully"? 

That's a real overstatement, "wonderfully."

Yeah, except for those three games they were pretty decent, better than most people have given them credit for. "Great"? Nah.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 6/9/2018 at 10:21 PM, Boca BIlls said:

It will be at least as good or better than with Taylor.

For all his short-comings Taylor kept Buffalo in possession of the ball. Which QB do you know will be able to do the same? Which has shown he can QB at this level?

You can hope for anything and anything is possible, but you can't know it won't be worse.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The other thirteen they did wonderfully"? 

That's a real overstatement, "wonderfully."

Yeah, except for those three games they were pretty decent, better than most people have given them credit for. "Great"? Nah.

Is it?  Points surrendered...the three terrible games bolded.  Keep in mind the defense did this even given the number of 3-and-outs we had.  That was one tired D that could have thrown the towel in, but didn't.

vs. Jets: 12, Panthers: 9, Broncos: 16, Falcons: 17, Bengals: 20, Bucs: 27, Raiders: 14, Jets: 34, Saints: 47, Chargers: 54, Chiefs: 10, Pats: 23, Colts: 7, Dolphins: 16, Pats: 37, Dolphins: 16, Jags: 10

Aside from that three game collapse, the D gave up an average of 16.7 points a game, despite being stranded out on the field by our ineffective offense.  First Pats game was 9-3 at halftime, second was 13-13.  Those three games aside, you don't think that defense played wonderfully?

People really underestimate the depth and floor of our roster. Besides O-line, we have good/decent players at every position. If McDermott patches together good run blocking and decent protection, I think there is a higher than 50/50 chance we make the playoffs if we stay healthy. 

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:11 AM, Doc said:

I disagree.  Look at last year.  Every sportswriter predicted the Bills to be one of the worst, if the worst, teams in the league.  Instead they made the playoffs.  Any crow-eating by them?  Nope. 

Yeah. I remember a LOOOOT of 4-12 predictions over the last 4 years, and no one was eating crow about that.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, John from Riverside said:

As the jags showed this past year....if you can play great defense and run the ball......you can get to the playoffs.

Their qb was horrible most of the year......and they still made it deep.

Our qb situation is better then theirs

It is? 

Given the state of our Oline and QBs I expect to see a lot of 8 man fronts and blitzing early in the season.  Defenses are going to dare our inexperienced QBs to throw. 

On 6/9/2018 at 9:39 AM, Hebert19 said:

These 2 win predictions and worst in league are going to look pretty dumb at the end of the year I figure.  Too bad there is no accountability in the media.  

This defense will be much better than any of the media gives it credit for...fringe top 10 in a lot of categories and McDermott and the staff will have them ready to play just like last year.  

On offense I think having a real OC and a QB that's not afraid to make mistakes will help open things up for shady.  Everyone assumes the defense will key in to stop the run, which worked when Taylor was QB but AJ or Josh will actually throw the ball over the top if they stack the box.  Yes our weapons are questionable at WR...but clay and oleary are quality pass catchers...cadet and shady are very good out of backfield, Kerley, Jones and Benjamin are not terrible especially in a Daboll offense. 

We won't light world on fire but 8 wins is doable. 

Yes there is accountability for the media, they take bread to their table only because we read (digital and on paper) them, so stop reading them and they will (somehow) notice ...

I don't deny for a moment there are a lot of self appointed media experts prognosticating ridiculous records before the first physicals of training camp.  I also respectfully submit that if someone uses 'cow chip bingo' as a metric to select standings and the Bills finish in the lower half, a full 50% of TBD members will be outraged.

The average number of repeat division winners has been under 3 since this format started.  That's with the dominance of Seattle and Indy and NE included.

Each year the expects pick 6 or 7 repeat division winners anyway.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

It is? 

Given the state of our Oline and QBs I expect to see a lot of 8 man fronts and blitzing early in the season.  Defenses are going to dare our inexperienced QBs to throw. 

^  Unfortunately this is true.  

Our revamped OL and an unproven QB will be tested.    We need big years from Clay and Benjamin and whoever else we have at WR, they need to get open and hold on to the ball. 

On 6/9/2018 at 10:18 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that I’m going to start treating the board like school and take the summers off. Look at the 1st page and see if there are any interesting discussions? I realize that nothing goes on this time of year but come on!! 

You know, Kirb, there's this thing you can do when you don't see any interesting conversations....wait, wait, don't tell me....whinge about it...no, No, that's not it....

....I got it!  You could...START ONE YOURSELF!  Yeah, that's it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You know, Kirb, there's this thing you can do when you don't see any interesting conversations....wait, wait, don't tell me....whinge about it...no, No, that's not it....

If I had something to say I would say it. If everyone would subscribe to that theory the content would be much more interesting. Instead, we need another thread about someone saying “trust the process” or “the Bills get no respect” or “I can’t believe ____ reporter picked the Bills to win ____ games” or “Tyrod sucks” or “Peterman sucks” or “Allen sucks” or “the Patriots suck.” There hasn’t been an interesting thread has been on here since before the draft. It sounds like the majority of people believe the same. It’s obviously a quiet time of year but people are starting garbage topics just to start them. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If I had something to say I would say it. If everyone would subscribe to that theory the content would be much more interesting. Instead, we need another thread about someone saying “trust the process” or “the Bills get no respect” or “I can’t believe ____ reporter picked the Bills to win ____ games” or “Tyrod sucks” or “Peterman sucks” or “Allen sucks” or “the Patriots suck.” There hasn’t been an interesting thread has been on here since before the draft. It sounds like the majority of people believe the same. It’s obviously a quiet time of year but people are starting garbage topics just to start them. 

I think Peterman starting over AJ isn’t as far fetched as some would like to believe. Think that ?would be a good thread?

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Can someone start a topic on the word, "whinge?"

Had ANYONE heard of this word before SDS used it whilst smacking someone down last year?

Perhaps a poll?  Up to you, Kirbs.

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

Had ANYONE heard of this word before SDS used it whilst smacking someone down last year?

Had to look it up.. Word of the day material

whinge
(h)winj/
Britishinformal
verb
verb: whinge; 3rd person present: whinges; past tense: whinged; past participle: whinged; gerund or present participle: whingeing; gerund or present participle: whinging
  1. 1.
    complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
noun
noun: whinge; plural noun: whinges
  1. 1.
    an act of complaining.

Just now, ddaryl said:

Had to look it up.. Word of the day material

whinge
(h)winj/ 
Britishinformal
verb
verb: whinge; 3rd person present: whinges; past tense: whinged; past participle: whinged; gerund or present participle: whingeing; gerund or present participle: whinging
  1. 1.
    complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way.
    "stop whingeing and get on with it!"
noun
noun: whinge; plural noun: whinges
  1. 1.
    an act of complaining.

This part:

whinge

(h)winj/

reminds me of the Family Guy episode where Stewie was pronouncing Cool Whip, "Cool Hwip."
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Work with UKBs all your life and it's common.  When a UKB millwright says "get me a torch", you come back with an oxy-acetylene cutting torch and find out the dizzy bastard wanted a flashlight...???

Any team with as much turnover as we have had at key positions is going to get hammered in pre-season rankings.  We saw it last year with a new head coach, front office and big offseason trades.  This year we see starting QB replaced with journeyman backup, a raw rookie, and a turnover machine, the interior of our offensive line retired/went insane, the QB of the defense moved on, and insult to injury, we lost Tolbert!

Making the playoffs last year doesn't count for that much when you have turnover at key positions and replace them with unknowns.  Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Edited by Jauronimo