[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

I LOVE this trade!  Now we just have to get him signed. I’m a little surprised that Botterill hasn’t talked extension,but I would imagine the price would have been quite a bit higher if he did. 

Skinner fills such such a huge need for Buffalo. He is instantly our #1 LW. He’s a great even strength goal scorer (I believe about 3/4ths of his goals have been at ES) , has scored 30+ three times (including almost 40g 2yrs ago) and more than 20 goals 6 out of his 8 NHL seasons. 

I think we finally have someone who can finish Eichel’s passes!

Between Skinner and Sherry, watch Eichel’s assist totals skyrocket! (I hope...). 

Im pumped up! I was hoping we’d trade for Skinner all offseason, but I had heard he nixed a bunch of trades at the draft and figured Buffalo was among the teams he said no to. Thrilled to learn we were very high on his list!! 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

I LOVE this trade!  Now we just have to get him signed. I’m a little surprised that Botterill hasn’t talked extension,but I would imagine the price would have been quite a bit higher if he did. 

Skinner fills such such a huge need for Buffalo. He is instantly our #1 LW. He’s a great even strength goal scorer (I believe about 3/4ths of his goals have been at ES) , has scored 30+ three times (including almost 40g 2yrs ago) and more than 20 goals 6 out of his 8 NHL seasons. 

I think we finally have someone who can finish Eichel’s passes!

Between Skinner and Sherry, watch Eichel’s assist totals skyrocket! (I hope...). 

Im pumped up! I was hoping we’d trade for Skinner all offseason, but I had heard he nixed a bunch of trades at the draft and figured Buffalo was among the teams he said no to. Thrilled to learn we were very high on his list!! 

Someone who can actually skate!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  That would give us FOUR 1st rounders next year.

If we re-sign him, we get a legit even strength scorer.

He loves to dive and I am not a big Skinner fan, but value for value, we easily win this trade.

9 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  That would give us FOUR 1st rounders next year.

He loves to dive and I am not a big Skinner fan, but value for value, we easily win this trade.

He's only 26, I would not be worried about his "sweet spot", I think he has several really good years left.

26 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

At some point you have to change the culture and aim higher than 31st overall.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Not sure Skinner's career sweet spot (which is right now) jibes with our window (still several years away) but he will probably bring a 1st round draft pick if we move him at the deadline.  

1) Does accepting one trade wipe out your NMC? ( not sure if he had NTC or NMC)

2) If as speculated, an extension is  close, I would assume it too carries a NMC of some sort.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) Does accepting one trade wipe out your NMC? ( not sure if he had NTC or NMC)

2) If as speculated, an extension is  close, I would assume it too carries a NMC of some sort.

According to John Vogl, he had a no movement clause and agreed to waive it to come here. 

Its for naught if they cant sign him (and not give him outrageous money).

They gave up 4 assets for a pending UFA player they might just be trading at the deadline.

You would hope Botterill has had conversations and know what ballpark Skinner wants and is prepared to pay that?

4 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Its for naught if they cant sign him (and not give him outrageous money).

They gave up 4 assets for a pending UFA player they might just be trading at the deadline.

You would hope Botterill has had conversations and know what ballpark Skinner wants and is prepared to pay that?

He hasn't.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Lower standards for the home team players is acceptable if done sparingly. :)

I'm not so sure he can do it sparingly though.  I always got a good laugh out of the fans around here who would brag about how he draws more tripping penalties than anyone else.  You realize how he's doing that, right?

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm not so sure he can do it sparingly though.  I always got a good laugh out of the fans around here who would brag about how he draws more tripping penalties than anyone else.  You realize how he's doing that, right?

Acting is a talent. When it is done by the home team embrace it; when it is done by the opposition be outraged. Sports are like politics: One's view is very much determined by what side of the fence you are standing on. Tribalism overwhelms objectivity. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC

8-3: Hurricanes' Pre-Game and Web Host Mike Maniscalco Discusses the Jeff Skinner trade on WGR (12:23)

Maniscalco - The #Sabres are getting a guy who can score goals on the wing. He's a pure goal scorer. I'm sure there will be nights where you will want more defensively from him, but if he's a 25-to-35-goal guy, you can forgive him for that.

Maniscalco - I don't want to say he's a hard-headed kid, but he's not going to be a Selke Trophy winner. He loves the game, he loves to score goals, and he's usually the first player on the ice for practice, and the last guy off the ice. #Sabres

Maniscalco - I can't remember the last time the #Sabres had a player on the ice that could get the puck on his stick and just score goals and create offense the way he can.

Maniscalco - Skinner is not a problem off the ice. He's never gotten in trouble away from the rink in eight years in Carolina. He lives to play hockey and score goals. He's not a vocal leader, but if you let him play, he will make people in Buffalo very happy. #Sabres

Maniscalco - Skinner does get streaky, but he is a clutch goal scorer.  He's had good centers to play with, but he's never had guys who can get him the puck in prime areas to score goals. I think he has a couple of those guys in Buffalo. #Sabres

Maniscalco - the last four years, Skinner has not missed a game due to concussion. I think that narrative about him can be calmed down. He's been fairly durable. #Sabres

I am still all pumped up from this trade. If Skinner is signed long term, this has the potential to be one of the more lopsided trades in Sabres history. 

Botterill has done done an excellent job in his trades for players. 

Imagine if someone had said to you that we could turn Ennis, Foligno, Pu + 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th round picks into Scandella, Sheary sand Skinner... 

We all would have laughed and told that person they were out to lunch... 

Botts has been excellent at making these low risk, high reward type trades. 

It’s such a stark difference from Tim Murray, who seemed to overpay in every trade.

I can only imagine what he’d have given up for Skinner...  

To be fair though, I would have liked to see more value come back in the Kane + ROR trade. But I think there were extenuating circumstances in both cases. So I have a hard time laying all the blame on Botterill. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Wow. He’s tied with Connor McDavid for 7th in even strength goal scoring over the past 3 seasons. That is impressive!