[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Post-Game Report: 10/8 vs. Vegas

Final Score
  1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final SOG
Golden Knights
(1-2-0)
0 1 1 2 37
Sabres
(2-1-0)
1 3 0 4 17

Top Notes
  • Today’s win improved the Sabres to 1-0-2 against the Golden Knights all-time.
  • Carter Hutton stopped 35 shots today to improve to 2-0-0 against Vegas with a .957 save percentage and a 1.50 goals-against average in those games.
  • With his goals today, Jack Eichel now has tallies in consecutive contests and four points (3+1) in three games this season.
    • Dating back to last season, Eichel has 14 points (6+8) in his last 10 games.
  • The game was Eichel’s 16th career multi-goal game. The Sabres are 12-3-1 in those games.
  • Sam Reinhart and Conor Sheary recorded the assists on Eichel’ssecond goal. Reinhart now has an assist in consecutive games and Sheary has three points (2+1) in his last two contests.
  • With his goal today, Jason Pominville now has three points (1+2) in three career games against Vegas.
Today’s Goaltenders
Today’s Stats
Team Goaltender Decision SV% GAA
Golden Knights Fleury L .765 4.13
Sabres Hutton W .946 2.00
Updated Season Stats
Team Goaltender Record SV% GAA
Golden Knights Fleury 1-2-0 .841 3.93
Sabres Hutton 2-1-0 .943 2.06

Post-Game Audio
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres forward Jason Pominville
Sabres forward Sam Reinhart
Sabres defenseman Marco Scandella
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Golden Knights forward Max Pacioretty
Golden Knights forward Jonathan Marchessault
Golden knights goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury

1 hour ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Get off my, “you know”, lawn

Does it bother you that there are people out there that actually go to the game for the game. Its not all about table slamming and pouring ketchup all over your face. 

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Does it bother you that there are people out there that actually go to the game for the game. Its not all about table slamming and pouring ketchup all over your face. 

Doesn’t bother me in the slightest bit. I don’t slam tables or squirt ketchup and mustard on anybody. I sit and drink a few beers and grill up some grub before the game 

9 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Feast your eyes - Sabres atop the Atlantic Division standings.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings

Settle down! :)

What's apparent at this early stage is that this is a faster team and a grittier team. They battle and contest for the puck. And has been said by many a more north/south team compared to a dithering team that is slow to step up. 

And when all is said and done: Goal tending matters! There was a big shakeup to the roster. The most important acquisition was Hutton. 

Again, it's still early and the sample size is small. But the eye test tells you that this is a much better mix of players. 

Finally an explosion of even strength goals, their first 3 of the year (I don't count the ENG).  They're going to need to get that going a bit more if they're going to continue to get some wins.  I expect that it will once Skinner finds his first goal.

15 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Is the season back on now?

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

No , Housley still sucks!!!?

Some idiot wanted him fired after the first period of the first game...wonder who that was!!!!

:lol:

On 10/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, K-9 said:

I gotta kick out of Shanahan’s comments about how the young players will need to settle for less money if they want to win a cup in Toronto like Red Wing players did back when he won cups with them. Never mind that there were no salary cap  restrictions back then. It will be interesting to see how that plays out but I think that’s a tough sell to a star like Matthews who will command upwards of  McDavid money. Not to mention Marner. And Nylander is already not toeing the company line on that score. 

Lot of pressure on the Leafs to win it all this year. It helps having the best coach in the game to help with that.

First time at the HSBC on Saturday after a long pain in butt to get there. Immigration problems because I forgot my Permanent Resident Card at home. I get the new guy at DHS who is going to dot all the "I"s and cross the "T's". Put in major crimp in plans and barely made the start of the Ranger game. 

First I love the rink. The open glass area on the front is great. I love that you can read "Blue Zone" from blocks away. Also really like the high roof. The amenities are really nice and never had a long wait in line(can't say that for the Bills game). I'm used to the rink in San Jose and things like that aren't as quite up to date. Not bad but not as nice as Buffalo.

As far as the game goes the first period was sloppy on both sides. But it seemed like after the Sabres scored their first goal it opened things up and the game got a lot better.

I think Sabre fans should be encouraged. Hutton looked solid and made saves at key times. I felt bad for him when the Rangers got the late goal. I was hoping he was gonna get the shutout. 

Dahlin was okay. Looks a little out of place but it has to be expected I think. 

I really like Skinner. I think that's going to be the team engine. I really like his hustle and has skill to go with it.

Eichel looks good as well..

Lots of good pieces and I think they will get better as they become a team as the season progresses.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

No , Housley still sucks!!!?

Some idiot wanted him fired after the first period of the first game...wonder who that was!!!!

May have been me, but I thought I waited until after the second period before demanding both Housley and Beaulieu be removed. 

We were here outplayed by an inferior Rangers team but road superior goaltending to a win and looked good against a superior Vegas team. A nice result, but I’ll have to hold off on Housley’s coronation as coach of the year. Let’s see where we are at the end of October. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

May have been me, but I thought I waited until after the second period before demanding both Housley and Beaulieu be removed. 

We were here outplayed by an inferior Rangers team but road superior goaltending to a win and looked good against a superior Vegas team. A nice result, but I’ll have to hold off on Housley’s coronation as coach of the year. Let’s see where we are at the end of October. 

Few people are going to have a coronation celebration for Housley. The central problem with Housley's first year was that it lacked talent and the mix was not good. The style of play that he espoused was never going to be attained with last year's group. He wanted the unit on the ice all moving forward at the same time. His approach was predicated on speed and a defense that was mobile.  

Without question the team speed is significantly improved and the passing is better. The bottom line is that there is more talent on the roster. And not only are our top two lines better but the third and fourth lines are making contributions (so far). Those lower lines last year were contributing nothing. 

I'm not going to get carried away at this early stage because Hutton and his sterling play were the main reasons why this team has won two out of three games. However, although it is very early you have to be happy with this invigorated roster and energetic play so far. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Few people are going to have a coronation celebration for Housley. The central problem with Housley's first year was that it lacked talent and the mix was not good. The style of play that he espoused was never going to be attained with last year's group. He wanted the unit on the ice all moving forward at the same time. His approach was predicated on speed and a defense that was mobile.  

Without question the team speed is significantly improved and the passing is better. The bottom line is that there is more talent on the roster. And not only are our top two lines better but the third and fourth lines are making contributions (so far). Those lower lines last year were contributing nothing. 

I'm not going to get carried away at this early stage because Hutton and his sterling play were the main reasons why this team has won two out of three games. However, although it is very early you have to be happy with this invigorated roster and energetic play so far. 

I appreciate your passion and optimism and agree we are better, at least on paper. But I have to see consistency over sustained periods before I share your point of view. 

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I appreciate your passion and optimism and agree we are better, at least on paper. But I have to see consistency over sustained periods before I share your point of view. 

I'm not a hometown zealot or a homer. What is evident to me is that the GM has done a good job in the offseason in remaking the roster not only from a talent standpoint but also from a personality standpoint.  

It's understandable why a Sabre fan, or a Buffalo fan for that matter, to be skeptical because of the long term malaise of the hometown teams. But there is a more determined attitude on this hockey team compared to what has existed in the past number of years. In the end talent is the deciding factor. This team has more talent than what has preceded it. I'm cautiously optimistic. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Twas I who wrote the season off after 1 period!!! I was as mad at a Buffalo team as I have ever been...and like you still not 100% sold. Vegas was a better game than the Rangers by a mile I thought..but i did do a lot of skipping that game as watched on delay.

29 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Twas I who wrote the season off after 1 period!!! I was as mad at a Buffalo team as I have ever been...and like you still not 100% sold. Vegas was a better game than the Rangers by a mile I thought..but i did do a lot of skipping that game as watched on delay.

I'm not criticizing you or K-9 for your quick responses after watching the Bruins game. Getting mad about that dud game was a very understandable response. I had the same reaction, as did the fans at the game. The only thing redeeming about that game was watching Brad Marchand play an exceptional game. That little priiick was a dynamo. However, hockey has it's own unique psychology revolving around desperate situations. The Bruins in a prior game got out-classed and embarrassed by the Capitals who exploded with goals. So it's not surprising that in the next game the Bruins were going to play a shut-down style of game that would suffocate the less experienced and talented team and frustrate the paying customers. 

What hasn't gotten much attention regarding this team is that our GM  made a conscious decision to upgrade our third and forth lines. They certainly are not going to be prolific scoring lines but they will be contributing lines. That sure is an upgrade from the previous dead beat lines. 

The Sabres  have a GM who is top shelf, especially compared to Murray who was full of talk and action without much thought. If you look at what Botterill has accomplished this offseason he has upgraded the talent without mortgaging our future. In fact, he did the opposite. He acquired talent and added future assets so the pipeline is full. 

Last year, the Sabres were the worst team in hockey. This year my belief is that this is a fringe wild-card contending team. That's a tremendous step forward. 

10-10: Sabres' Goalie Carter Hutton on WGR (6:46)

#Sabres goalie Carter Hutton (@CarterHutton) joins Jeremy and Sal next on WGR! Tune in:

Hutton - It's always nice to start at home, you can get in a groove with the fans. Getting a few wins and some points help before we head out on the road. #Sabres

Hutton - I think we're taking some good steps here early on. It's a hard league to play in. At this point with the young guys, they're learning what they can get away with early in the season. #Sabres

Hutton - We can't overthink things, can't let things snowball on us. We can't try to do too many things. I try to bring my personality every day, and we have guys who are bringing the right message every day. #Sabres

Hutton - Dahlin is pretty skilled, but he's just getting used to the league. It's impressive that he's already playing in the NHL. I just want to do my best to share information with some of the young kids on the blue line and in goal. #Sabres

Hutton - A lot of what he does is impressive, and he'll learn what he can and can't get away with in the NHL. What he's doing right now as an 18-year-old is incredible. He has a bright future ahead of him. #Sabres

Hutton - Eichel is incredible with the puck, his skating is effortless. As a leader, he's done a great job here. He wears his heart on his sleeve and he's the hardest working player. He's done a great job taking over the captaincy, leading by example. #Sabres

• Like (+1) 1