[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

If you take Hasek in his prime and put him in Net on the 2006 team we win that Cup hands down! My biggest gripe with the Sabres as an organization was how do you not surround the greatest goalie to ever play the game with a better supporting cast? It was criminal that we couldn't build a better team in the Hasek era and remarkable at the same time he was able to carry the Sabres to a Stanley Cup final.

The 05-06 team was definitely a better team all around even though they didn't get as far as the 99 team did.  I agree if not for all the injuries to our D down the stretch we most likely get past Carolina and go on to smoke the Oilers in the Finals that year.  The 716 was rocking that year in a way I hadn't seen since the Bills Super Bowl runs.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

If you take Hasek in his prime and put him in Net on the 2006 team we win that Cup hands down! My biggest gripe with the Sabres as an organization was how do you not surround the greatest goalie to ever play the game with a better supporting cast? It was criminal that we couldn't build a better team in the Hasek era and remarkable at the same time he was able to carry the Sabres to a Stanley Cup final.

The 05-06 team was definitely a better team all around even though they didn't get as far as the 99 team did.  I agree if not for all the injuries to our D down the stretch we most likely get past Carolina and go on to smoke the Oilers in the Finals that year.  The 716 was rocking that year in a way I hadn't seen since the Bills Super Bowl runs.

Was that an intentional choice of words to describe the Sabres ownership during that time? 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

washington-capitals-banner-raising-10031

Morning peeps.    It is only Game 3, 4 or 5.  down 2 goals with 2 minutes left..  Why pull a goalie?   Is this normal so early? 

Oshie gets a half rink open netter to seal the game with a 3 goal lead 

Game 3, 4 or 5 all matter at the end of the season.  The only chance of tying that game is to pull the goaltender...

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

You are a finicky critter. :)

I know I'm not alone on this one.  I know I've heard the same exact comment several times over the years.  Hell, it's even hinted at in a Seinfeld episode.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I know I'm not alone on this one.  I know I've heard the same exact comment several times over the years.  Hell, it's even hinted at in a Seinfeld episode.

I didn't watch Seinfeld when it originally ran. But I have been a devoted fan since the reruns. One of my favorite shows was the Elaine dance segment. It hasn't got as much acclaim as some of his other shows but it makes me bust a gut. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=seinfeld+tv+show+elaine+dancing+at+work&view=detail&mid=53B8568CA6273067982F53B8568CA6273067982F&FORM=VIRE

DpLFEnoV4AAgyOO.jpg

GAME-DAY RESOURCES

LAST GAME
Monday, October 8
Vegas 2 at Buffalo 4
Goals: Eichel (2), Scandella, Pominville
Goalie: Hutton (35 saves/37 shots)
PP: 1/2; PK: 2/2; Shots: Vegas 37 – Buffalo 17

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 17)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Oct. 4) – 3 games
Matt Hunwick (neck, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 3 games
Johan Larsson (lower body, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 3 games
Sean Malone (knee, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 3 games
Scott Wilson (ankle, Oct. 4; injured reserve) – 3 games
Vladimir Sobotka (upper body, Oct. 6) – 2 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Saturday, Oct. 13: Buffalo at Arizona, 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Oct. 16: Buffalo at Vegas, 10 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 18: Buffalo at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 20: Buffalo at Los Angeles, 3:30 p.m.
Sunday, Oct. 21: Buffalo at Anaheim, 8 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME
AVALANCHE at SABRES
  • This is the first of two meetings between the Sabres and Avalanche this season.
  • Next meeting: Saturday, March 9, 2019 in Colorado
  • Last meeting: Colorado defeated Buffalo 5-4 in Buffalo on Feb. 11
  • The Sabres are 3-7-0 in their last 10 games vs. the Avalanche; 3-5-2 at home.
  • This is the 144th game all-time between Buffalo and Colorado; Buffalo has a 62-57-24 series record.
  • The Sabres are 38-22-11 at home against the Avalanche all-time.

2 hours ago, ricojes said:

Game 3, 4 or 5 all matter at the end of the season.  The only chance of tying that game is to pull the goaltender...

4 minutes seems to be the outer limit for pulling the goalie in the dozen or so games i've watched, with varying interest this year

17 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

^^^^^^

Good to see...speaking of gulies....Linus on Thursday or the first game of trip?

I’m sure Housley will go with the hot hand tonight. Hutton has been too good to put Ullmark in. If it were a back to back it’d be different. 

Im guessing Ullmark might get a game some time during that western road trip. 

58 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

they were down 2 points (2-4) with 2:15 to go 

That’s exactly why they pulled the goalie. 

It’s a pretty common thing in hockey. It all depends on the coach and the score of the game. If a team is down by 2+, they usually pull the goalie earlier than if they are only down by 1. 

Some coaches are more daring about it. Like Housley, for example, during the Sabres 1st game of the year pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left in the game. They were down 3-0 though.

That used to be somewhat unusual (and it still is to some degree) to pull a goalie with that much time left. But Patrick Roy kind of started that trend his first season coaching the Avalanche, and it worked for Colorado. Then you started to see other coaches pulling their goalie earlier than normal. 

Roy actually pulled his goalie a few different times with 10+ minutes remaining in the game (once with 13mins left)! I don’t know of any other coaches who have repeated that off hand. 

Here’s a good article on it from a few years ago, if you are interested -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nhl-coaches-are-pulling-goalies-earlier-than-ever/

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

washington-capitals-banner-raising-10031

Morning peeps.    It is only Game 3, 4 or 5.  down 2 goals with 2 minutes left..  Why pull a goalie?   Is this normal so early? 

Oshie gets a half rink open netter to seal the game with a 3 goal lead 

Down two, they should have pulled the goalie sooner. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

4 minutes seems to be the outer limit for pulling the goalie in the dozen or so games i've watched, with varying interest this year

57 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I’m sure Housley will go with the hot hand tonight. Hutton has been too good to put Ullmark in. If it were a back to back it’d be different. 

Im guessing Ullmark might get a game some time during that western road trip. 

33 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

That’s exactly why they pulled the goalie. 

It’s a pretty common thing in hockey. It all depends on the coach and the score of the game. If a team is down by 2+, they usually pull the goalie earlier than if they are only down by 1. 

Some coaches are more daring about it. Like Housley, for example, during the Sabres 1st game of the year pulled the goalie with 5 minutes left in the game. They were down 3-0 though.

That used to be somewhat unusual (and it still is to some degree) to pull a goalie with that much time left. But Patrick Roy kind of started that trend his first season coaching the Avalanche, and it worked for Colorado. Then you started to see other coaches pulling their goalie earlier than normal. 

Roy actually pulled his goalie a few different times with 10+ minutes remaining in the game (once with 13mins left)! I don’t know of any other coaches who have repeated that off hand. 

Here’s a good article on it from a few years ago, if you are interested -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nhl-coaches-are-pulling-goalies-earlier-than-ever/

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Down two, they should have pulled the goalie sooner. 

Thanks all.   I usually only watch Hockey after football.  But my interest has peaked I may watch more of it (Caps) this season 

• Like (+1) 2

So, Larsson on the wing with Mitts and Tage tonight? Other than being another faceoff man, he brings NOTHING but diminished speed and absolutely NO offensive skill to the game lineup. Housley just can’t help himself. 

Prove me wrong, Phil. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Thanks all.   I usually only watch Hockey after football.  But my interest has peaked I may watch more of it (Caps) this season 

good..more hockey fans the better!  Although i liked in 98 being able to get club level seats at was MCI( now Cap One) for like $50 a seat for the  Sabre-Caps ECF.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So, Larsson on the wing with Mitts and Tage tonight? Other than being another faceoff man, he brings NOTHING but diminished speed and absolutely NO offensive skill to the game lineup. Housley just can’t help himself. 

Prove me wrong, Phil. 

I'm with you on the Larsson issue. He's a gritty player with no offensive capability. Botterill worked hard in the offseason to bring some functionality to the third and fourth lines. I don't understand the infatuation with Larsson who is more of an AHL caliber of player. Remi would be a better option. 

Projected Lineup

43 Conor Sheary - 9 Jack Eichel - 23 Sam Reinhart
53 Jeff Skinner - 10 Patrik Berglund - 21 Kyle Okposo
22 Johan Larsson - 37 Casey Mittelstadt - 72 Tage Thompson
28 Zemgus Girgensons - 71 Evan Rodrigues - 29 Jason Pominville

40 Carter Hutton
35 Linus Ullmark