[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'm not criticizing you or K-9 for your quick responses after watching the Bruins game. Getting mad about that dud game was a very understandable response. I had the same reaction, as did the fans at the game. The only thing redeeming about that game was watching Brad Marchand play an exceptional game. That little priiick was a dynamo. However, hockey has it's own unique psychology revolving around desperate situations. The Bruins in a prior game got out-classed and embarrassed by the Capitals who exploded with goals. So it's not surprising that in the next game the Bruins were going to play a shut-down style of game that would suffocate the less experienced and talented team and frustrate the paying customers. 

What hasn't gotten much attention regarding this team is that our GM  made a conscious decision to upgrade our third and forth lines. They certainly are not going to be prolific scoring lines but they will be contributing lines. That sure is an upgrade from the previous dead beat lines. 

The Sabres  have a GM who is top shelf, especially compared to Murray who was full of talk and action without much thought. If you look at what Botterill has accomplished this offseason he has upgraded the talent without mortgaging our future. In fact, he did the opposite. He acquired talent and added future assets so the pipeline is full. 

Last year, the Sabres were the worst team in hockey. This year my belief is that this is a fringe wild-card contending team. That's a tremendous step forward. 

I think we're anointing Boterill way too fast.  People said a lot of the same things about Murray early.  It is very clear how different the approaches of those two are, but so far, we still have no proof of anything.  He still is given a lot of credit based on the Pittsburgh, where ultimately we really don't know how involved he truly was.  I've said it a million times but a job is so much easier when you're starting out with Crosby/Malkin.  He'll never have that luxury again.

So far, yes, his approach does look to be more promising.  I can't get past that Buffalo cynicism though where I'll believe it when I see it.

I've not followed the Sabres much since the Hasek days.  Just abismal since then in both talent and coaching.  But this season has me hopeful again.  I'd like to watch some games... I live in New Hampshire so only games I might be able to catch would be Boston on NESN but I don't get NESN in my DirecTV lineup.

Any online sources for games that don't cost much/free?

16 minutes ago, bdutton said:

I've not followed the Sabres much since the Hasek days.  Just abismal since then in both talent and coaching.  But this season has me hopeful again.  I'd like to watch some games... I live in New Hampshire so only games I might be able to catch would be Boston on NESN but I don't get NESN in my DirecTV lineup.

You can usually find streams on reddit, like type in the game and then go from there

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, bdutton said:

only 5 nationally televised games on the schedule this season...

Tue, Nov. 13 Tampa Bay at Buffalo NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Wed, Nov. 21 Philadelphia at Buffalo NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Tue, Dec. 4 Toronto at Buffalo NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Fri, Dec. 21 Buffalo at Washington NBCSN 7 p.m.
Tue, Feb. 26 Buffalo at Philadelphia NBCSN 7 p.m.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, shrader said:

I think we're anointing Boterill way too fast.  People said a lot of the same things about Murray early.  It is very clear how different the approaches of those two are, but so far, we still have no proof of anything.  He still is given a lot of credit based on the Pittsburgh, where ultimately we really don't know how involved he truly was.  I've said it a million times but a job is so much easier when you're starting out with Crosby/Malkin.  He'll never have that luxury again.

So far, yes, his approach does look to be more promising.  I can't get past that Buffalo cynicism though where I'll believe it when I see it.

I thought that Murray was the second coming of Christ at one point....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bdutton said:

Search google for “Reddit NHL streams”.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm not anointing the GM. What I have said is that it doesn't take much analysis to realize that this roster is more talented. You don't have to be a hockey afficionado to recognize that this is a faster team and the talent is more widely spread throughout the lines. I'm sure you would be willing to admit that in one offseason there has been a substantial makeover from the previous year. 

You are  entitled to your well earned cynicism. However, when I see progress I'm more willing to shed some of the encrusted cynicism that has been baked into me. My prediction is that this team is capable of being a fringe wild-card playoff team. Compared to its recent history that is a giant leap forward. 

When in doubt trust your eyes. :)

44 minutes ago, bbb said:

You missed some good times in 2006-2007

I was going to say the same thing. 

The ‘05-‘06 and ‘06-‘07 seasons were sooo much fun. Even when they were down by a couple/few goals in the 3rd you just knew they would still win.

I remember all the crazy huge crowds for the viewing parties in the plaza. 

I still get pissed off thinking about both Drury and Briere leaving... that team was so damn close to winning a Cup. I still imagine what could have been if they had kept drury+briere, then let Vanek go on that Oilers offer sheet and took those FOUR 1st round picks (2 of which ended up being 1st overall, and no I don’t think Vanek would have changed that. They offer-sheeted Penner and while he wasn’t as good as Vanek, he was still a good player and it didn’t matter). 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was going to say the same thing. 

The ‘05-‘06 and ‘06-‘07 seasons were sooo much fun. Even when they were down by a couple/few goals in the 3rd you just knew they would still win.

I remember all the crazy huge crowds for the viewing parties in the plaza. 

I still get pissed off thinking about both Drury and Briere leaving... that team was so damn close to winning a Cup. I still imagine what could have been if they had kept drury+briere, then let Vanek go on that Oilers offer sheet and took those FOUR 1st round picks (2 of which ended up being 1st overall, and no I don’t think Vanek would have changed that. They offer-sheeted Penner and while he wasn’t as good as Vanek, he was still a good player and it didn’t matter). 

Those were really great days for the Sabres.  The teams, IMO, were better than the Hasek teams, even if one of his made the finals.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, bbb said:

Those were really great days for the Sabres.  The teams, IMO, were better than the Hasek teams, even if one of his made the finals.

They probably win the Cup in '06 if not for the highly improbable run of injuries to the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

Thanks to games with stupid start times, my eyes are currently at .500

Simple solution: DVR! You can watch at the time of your choosing instead of when you are snoozing!

Trust me I will not lead you astray. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Simple solution: DVR! You can watch at the time of your choosing instead of when you are snoozing!

Trust me I will not lead you astray. :thumbsup:

I did watch some of it actually.  I just can't do it when I know the final score ahead of time.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

Oh for sure they were better. Those Hasek years were mostly on Hasek being the best goalie on the planet (kind of like the Canadiens a few years ago when Price played out of his mind good). He was ridiculous. It’s a crime Hasek didn’t win a Cup here.