[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

11 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Wow. Talk about your all time overreaction. 

Jack

"compete level needs to be higher" 

"its hard to win games in the NHL"

NHL season is one month long in many respects..they got 5 out west coming up..they look like crap..as they did ALL last season

2 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Why not just say “I know nothing about hockey?”  Maybe you’re just pretending the last 3 seasons didn’t happen?

The effort was fine, but they looked like a bunch a guys who haven’t played much together because...get this...THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED MUCH TOGETHER.

Boston is a very good team who got wrecked last night and came out as a pissed off veteran team should have.  Once again, the schedule makers screw the Sabres.

Everyone needs to understand this isn’t a sprint and it’s going to take some time for all these new players and combos to gel..  If you didn’t see improvement over the last 3 seasons, that’s your problem.

so the schedule makes screwed the Sabres by having the Bruins play back to back for the Sabres home opener? Wow!!!!!

Again, its the way they look and compete..they got nothing. And 4 out at Halloween, season over. Season is a marathon after that when yur team is out of playoff contention again

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

calling it now..Housley does not make it home from the Western swing..new coach after this 4 game home stand

I agree. I told my buddy this morning if they start the season with a dud and don’t get at least 4 points on this 4 game homestand, Phil is gone. He sucks as a coach 

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

so the schedule makes screwed the Sabres by having the Bruins play back to back for the Sabres home opener? Wow!!!!!

Again, its the way they look and compete..they got nothing. And 4 out at Halloween, season over. Season is a marathon after that when yur team is out of playoff contention again

Next year Boston can play three straight road nights just to screw over the Sabres home opener.    Biggest LOL of the decade....

I’ve used the Hallowe’en effect for years now, it doesn’t change the fact that a team that just plain sucks from day one wouldn’t make the playoffs anyways....

I was sorely disappointed by Eichel's game.     IMO, "generational' is just a flat out the wrong term to use with him at this stage of his development.   

Austin Matthews in TOR is light year's ahead of Jack as a player right now, which is vexing...

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dubs said:

That was really really disappointing. Not encouraging at all. Getting the sense Housley is a problem 

9 hours ago, zow2 said:

I agree. I told my buddy this morning if they start the season with a dud and don’t get at least 4 points on this 4 game homestand, Phil is gone. He sucks as a coach 

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

He's done..can see it in his presser

Agree completely.  Bots is not going to allow this to go more than a few games.  If they don't win 2 of the next 3 at home I think Wowie Housley is out the door.

2 hours ago, eball said:

Agree completely.  Bots is not going to allow this to go more than a few games.  If they don't win 2 of the next 3 at home I think Wowie Housley is out the door.

Let's not get carried away. Believing that Housley is going to be sent packing so quickly understandably reflects a frustration more than it does a reality. The Sabres came out flat on opening day. That's disappointing. But that is more attributable to the better and more experienced Bruin team that played a tight game and took advantage of glaring mistakes by our defensemen. 

The Sabre roster has significantly been altered. It is going to take time to develop some chemistry and cohesion. Let's at least wait to see how this homestand  plays out before jumping off a bridge. 

For those people who are critical of Housely I'm not going to say you are wrong. I'm just not sure about him. But drawing any conclusions about him or the team from one dud game against a better team is a tad premature. 

37 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For those people who are critical of Housely I'm not going to say you are wrong. I'm just not sure about him. But drawing any conclusions about him or the team from one dud game against a better team is a tad premature. 

Yes, cooler heads would suggest to let it play out a bit.

Yet, in the first intermission interview, Sheary let it slip that perhaps Sabres weren't ready for the intensity that Bruins brought in the 1st period after getting blown out the night before.

That's pretty damning

• Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/phil-housley-postgame-10418/t-277437090/c-61606303

I thought Housley was dead on in his post game presser (he usually is...). I had many of the same observations during the game. 

Getting too cute/fancy, over passing, refusing to take what the other team is giving you. Refusing to dump and chase. Refusing to backcheck properly. Blowing their assignments. 

He’s right that these veterans need to make a choice to play the way the coaches are asking them to. Sadly, our main guys seem to be the biggest problem as far as that’s concerned. Like Eichel trying to skate through FOUR Bruins at the blue line. 

Sometimes you just have to take what the other team is giving you. That’s why our 4th line was our most effective much of the night. 

What good is a coaching change going to do if these players simply refuse to follow a game plan? It was an issue with bylsma and it’s still an issue now. We could have the best coach in the world, but if the players simply refuse to do what the coach is asking, it won’t matter who the coach is. 

Remember when everyone was convinced that firing bylsma would solve the Sabres problems? 

Honestly, IMO they probably shouldn’t have fired bylsma when they did because I feel like it sent a bad message to the players. They wouldn’t follow bylsma’s game plan, didn’t seem to like him much and didn’t listen to him. In the end, they were rewarded for it. 

I am not saying Housley is the answer at head coach. He sure hasn’t shown that he is. 

But I guess I am still of the opinion that it’s more of a player issue than a coaching one. We’ve seen them play well when they stick to the game plan. But it just hasn’t happened enough over the last 3+ years. If this was a new issue under Housley, I would totally be on the “fire the coach” bandwagon. But it’s not a new issue. It has been an issue through 2 different coaches now. When you are seeing a lot of the same mistakes, from the same guys, under multiple different coaches, that to me says it’s a player issue. 

I think some of theee players have been given free reign from day 1, didn’t have to earn anything and have been rewarded for it. 

Edited by BillsFan4

23 minutes ago, GG said:

Yet, in the first intermission interview, Sheary let it slip that perhaps Sabres weren't ready for the intensity that Bruins brought in the 1st period after getting blown out the night before.

That's pretty damning

that's not a conspiracy by the NHL to sink the Sabres by handing them a team that played the night before

actually the B's lost 7-0 so they had half a tank in reserve when they got on the plane (or bus)

Housley just hasn't earned the right to be given the benefit of the doubt.  The Sabres weren't supposed to be horrible last season and he coached them to dead last place.  They start out this season, home opener,  with these great additions to the lineup and enthusiasm from the city and they lay an egg.  I agree with the folks that say he sounds like a disappointed dad, more than a leader of men.  

I was reading a stat this morning that said the Sabres dating back to the end of last season have lost 5 straight overall, and lost 6 in a row on home ice, including 3 shutouts.

They must win two of the next three home game on this homestand.  If not, things get ugly.  If they lose all 4, Botts will furious and Housley won't see the west coast trip. 

22 minutes ago, GG said:

That's pretty damning

I'm reserving judgment for the next two home games. The Bruins came out hot after a disappointing opener. I fully expect the Sabres to give a good effort against the Rangers. 

33 minutes ago, snafu said:

I'm reserving judgment for the next two home games. The Bruins came out hot after a disappointing opener. I fully expect the Sabres to give a good effort against the Rangers. 

The Bruins did not look that good to me at all.  The Sabres simply looked worse after the first 10 minutes which weren't bad.  The Bruins first goal was lucky inasmuch as the flow had been going the other way and the just got a bounce to start a rush.

After that, woof.